How much exercise/ Warm Up does your Gym do?

Your training sessions are my warm-up.

74ed1a8ef8729a4adc3437b84bc1327c.jpg

Total disclosure, this has been our warm up lately (with a few modifications, adding a shrimp in there)

6-8 rounds of this, then get into some light drilling for the next 5-10 minutes:
rotating arm bars
torreando pass / shrimp away
over under pass drill
butterfly lifts
mount to s-mount transitions
back to side to mount to back transitions
Triangle drills
etc.

I hate long, calisthenics based warmups. Whether I would benefit from them is not the question (I would) - it's whether or not I am going to a bjj class to do them (I am not). I'm going to bjj to learn bjj.

There has always been a permiating mindset in combat sports that drives me nuts, which is that you must warm up with exercise to get ready for your sport because doing your sport right off the bat will lead to a higher injury rate. It baffles me why wrestling coaches fail to see that wrestling light to warm up is light years better than running in a circle and stretching out for 20 minutes. I see good coaches do this and it hurts my brain. You can drill light. You can roll light. No one is getting hurt in a 30% slow roll to warm up and it beats the hell out of army PT.
Was that still your experience at the higher levels? At least in HS I assumed it was done because they didn't trust us enough to know how to wrestle light.

There has always been a permiating mindset in combat sports that drives me nuts, which is that you must warm up with exercise to get ready for your sport because doing your sport right off the bat will lead to a higher injury rate. It baffles me why wrestling coaches fail to see that wrestling light to warm up is light years better than running in a circle and stretching out for 20 minutes. I see good coaches do this and it hurts my brain. You can drill light. You can roll light. No one is getting hurt in a 30% slow roll to warm up and it beats the hell out of army PT.
Because it takes two to roll light and in a class of 30, not everyone is on the same level, same mindset and capable of leaving his ego at the door.
My worst injuries are result of training cold or partners going wild.
Also, you cant use this style of warm ups for kids and beginners classes.

Was that still your experience at the higher levels? At least in HS I assumed it was done because they didn't trust us enough to know how to wrestle light.

Kids and highschoolers need almost zero warm up, yet they do the most. You arent going to injure a 16 year old kid by drilling without calesthenics.

At the highest levels, it depends because many practices, you are going full clip 100% against world class athletes within 20 minutes of walking on the mat. You really have to prepare yourself for days like those. Those days arent as common as a basic drill first live second practice.

I would consider myself a professional coach. I have been paid to coach college, highschool, middle school, and BJJ. To those who say you need a warm up for new athletes and guys going wild, I would say that is bad coaching. If you cannot convey something as simple as intensity to a person who is brand new, I would say you really need to take some coaching courses. I can teach any 6th grade student the principals of intensity and pace. Kids below that age are almost impossible to injure in BJJ anyway.

We do about 5-10 minutes of sport-specific movements to warm-up for the adults class and then it's on to class. Our kid's class is about the same and then on to a lot of positional drills/live grappling, mixed with very short breaks to teach techniques. The kids almost never stop moving but they are always doing something sport-specific. Sends me up a wall when a kids class gets treated like a glorified day-care.

I can't find it now, so maybe I imagined it, but I could have sworn one of the bigger BJJ sites did a survey and found that one of the biggest reasons people quit BJJ in the first month is 30 minute "warm-ups" that are actually just intense workouts.

No dipshit, I didn't say I was special. I said I was there to learn, not do a freggin gym routine. I had a regular gym membership for that. I'm not paying $150 a month for you to tell me to do exercises.

Theres always one prick in every thread. I guess we found it in this one.

To answer your original question, Our academy usually spends about 15-20 min in warm ups, then drills, then technique, then grappling. Some days we go straight in to grappling.

As I read your post I was a little conflicted. I understand that you believe that your BJJ dues are to pay for learning "the art" and not calisthenics. I somewhat agree but your ability to execute the technique is dependent on cardio and strength. Additionally, you pay to learn what and how your instructor chooses to teach. Not trying to be overly harsh but if you don't want to do it how your instructor has set it out, find another gym. Another option would be to sign up for the Gracie On-Line learning method.

By your own admission, you're not in all that great a shape. Many instructors want to see their students perform the techniques they've taught. They may feel that its part of their responsibility to get you in shape to do it.

Kids and highschoolers need almost zero warm up, yet they do the most. You arent going to injure a 16 year old kid by drilling without calesthenics.

At the highest levels, it depends because many practices, you are going full clip 100% against world class athletes within 20 minutes of walking on the mat. You really have to prepare yourself for days like those. Those days arent as common as a basic drill first live second practice.

I would consider myself a professional coach. I have been paid to coach college, highschool, middle school, and BJJ. To those who say you need a warm up for new athletes and guys going wild, I would say that is bad coaching. If you cannot convey something as simple as intensity to a person who is brand new, I would say you really need to take some coaching courses. I can teach any 6th grade student the principals of intensity and pace. Kids below that age are almost impossible to injure in BJJ anyway.
The warm up is part of educational program, thought to any coach in the national sport academy of Bulgaria and yes, I graduated it as a coach with wrestling profile.
You might consider that bad, but that would be just an opinion.

I trained at Garry Tonon's school once and took the advanced class. We did about 10 minutes of flow rolling, got into technique, and then rolled for rounds. Tonon said that he didn't see the need for an advanced class to do 15 minutes of jumping jacks, etc., and I totally agree.

My gym follows a very standard warmup that takes 4-5 minutes to complete and I think does a good job.

20 Jumping Jacks/10 Squats/10 Push Ups x 2
20 High Collar Chokes
20 Knee to Elbow crunches each side
20 Triangles
Neck loosening exercises
20 Bridges
20 Shrimps
10 Break Falls
10 second stretches: Right Leg, Left Leg, Both legs, Butterfly, Spread Eagle, Rocking Chairs to toes to mat

the beginner classes aren't bad maybe 5-10 mins of warmups with bjj specific stuff like shrimping, bear crawls, fwd rolls, etc

but man the advanced class kills me, were doing like at least 10-15 mins of hard bjj drills, then we move to judo drills for another 10 mins, then positional sparring for another 15 minutes either drillining takedowns or from guard/half guard/mount/back, THEN we do 2-3 techniques for 20-30 mins before live rolling at the end

kinda sucks but I am so exhausted by the end of the warmup, I really need to work on my conditioning

Somewhere I dropped in, might have been Trumpet Dan's place, turned me on to sport (bjj) specific drills as a warm up. Leg drags for reps, arm bars from guard, etc. Makes a lot more sense than pushups or bear crawls. Why don't more do this.

Also, the technique portions of a bjj class is pretty low intensity. That's a decent warm up for the free rolls.

Unlike many, I guess - I have a workout program outside of BJJ. The gym I'm at now has a lower belt teaching while the instructor is back in Brazil for a month. Lower belt doesn't know what he's doing, so he's having us do endless crunches and air squats. All I can think about is how I'm going to squat real weight tomorrow and don't need this.

Back