How much do you think a training camp really matters?

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Physically. Disregarding developing a game plan for a specific fighter and not talking about fighters with a really huge weight cut. How much do you think a full several month training camp impacts a fighter physically? Can a short camp truly cause a fighter to lose that he would have won more often than not with a full camp?

Example: Mendes losing to Conor and everyone blaiming the short camp, despite Mendes himself saying he stays in fight ready shape always and showing up just as jacked and shredded as any other fight.

People like to talk about a fighter developing his camp so they "peak" physically right on fight night.

I ran a 12 week camp for my last fight. Got hurt and felt pretty banged up come fight day. I won but it felt HARD.

did a 2 week damp and felt GREAT. Performed better . Easier fight and similar opponent .

but I also didn’t have to learn anything or really work on anything. I just hit pads and grappled

For the 12 week it was so much WORK

It really depends on how in shape they are out of camp. A guy like Paddy who basically lets himself go after a fight needs 3 full months to get himself back into fighting shape. Some guys train year round and can take a fight on two weeks notice no problem.

I'd imagine it comes down to the athlete in question. I had a training partner who did better with camps just long enough to cut weight, otherwise he'd get in his head and couldn't perform as well. Friend of mine also fought and he needed a camp long enough to make sure every tool he had was on point and his weight cut had to be perfect. Both of those were on the regional level, so it's hard to say.

Physically. Disregarding developing a game plan for a specific fighter and not talking about fighters with a really huge weight cut. How much do you think a full several month training camp impacts a fighter physically? Can a short camp truly cause a fighter to lose that he would have won more often than not with a full camp?

Example: Mendes losing to Conor and everyone blaiming the short camp, despite Mendes himself saying he stays in fight ready shape always and showing up just as jacked and shredded as any other fight.

People like to talk about a fighter developing his camp so they "peak" physically right on fight night.

Your example of Mendes is what I'll respond to, fighters don't just sit in a sauna to cut weight, at Mendes level they have a nutritionist design their diet, they water-load a week or two out and then they hit that sauna. Mendes took the fight on what, 2 weeks notice? He was probably at 2 weeks 10+lbs heavier than he normally would be after a training camp, which means he had to cut significantly more weight which effects performance. Also it's not really possible for everyone to be in such amazing shape that they are ready for an elite level 15 minute fight year round on a weeks notice without their body falling apart, it's why fighters design their camps to "peak" by fight time in terms of their conditioning. It also varies from athlete to athlete, some stay in the gym year round and are always working hard, training, sparring, coaching, cross training, traveling to different gyms and countries to broader perspectives and skills etc while others give themselves a break, family men often take the foot off the gas some but when they're in camp leave their family so that they can be completely immersed. They do say "you get better out of camp" for a reason, training camps can often be pretty specialized to your specific opponent.

100% a short camp can cause someone to lose that would have normally won. Imagine Aljo who's like 175lbs right now fighting 3 weeks from now, most of the camp will just be about making the weight rather than your cardio being peaked and your skills and abilities sharp.

Practice makes perfect. I think a full training camp helps for sure. If it isn't helping someone they might be pushing too hard. It seems like they have so many tools at their disposal these days that shouldn't be a problem.

Gamrot mentioned after the Turner fight that he felt the lack of a longer training camp. He stays in shape all year round and thought his overall fitness will be enough, and it was for Turner but Gamrot said that he felt that his usual gas tank wasn't there without a proper camp.

It entirely depends on the condition the fighter is in before the camp. Many times it becomes primarily a weight cutting and conditioning camp instead of strategizing against a specific opponent. It’s best to stay closer to your division weight and be conditioned year round so camp is mainly just peaking those abilities. Otherwise it becomes fucking stupid and injuries come up.

Alot

But you cant roughly split into two types of fighters.

1) those who stay in shape year round.

2) those who get fat and lazy between camps/fights.

The fatties need a longer camp to get the cardio up and the weight down.

But you need a training camp for sure

A full training camp with Edmond Rtardverdyan matters a lot.

I think it really does depend on how camp goes. A 12 week camp with a nagging knee injury may not be nearly as helpful as a healthy short notice "camp" that's focused on the cut.

There are a ton of examples even at the elite level of incredible last minute performances. Bisping vs Rockhold 2 - Rockhold had a full camp. Bisping did a quick cut. Weidman vs Maia was allegedly one of the most insane last minute cuts ever 30+ lbs in 10 days. While Weidman struggled and it was a boring fight he beat Maia pretty handily.

I think watching tape, training for a specific strenght or to exploit some weakness of your opponent, plan the weight cut properly and adjust your cardio to peak at the right time are important steps which can’t be done in 1 week. But other than that, if you keep training and keep your diet, you shouldnt be worried about 12 weeks training camps.

I think it depends what type of fighter they are. Some fighters train all year while some only show up at the gym when there is a fight. If you walk around very heavy then short notice fight isn't going to be fight focused. It will be focused for the person to lose weight as fast as possible.

You gotta get that sprawl down.. other than that all yee need is a heavy bag to practice your heavy shots, and faith in the chin

Camps are for practicing nuances as well. If your opponent is supremely talented with habits, you have to prepare against those habits and perfect your own techniques. Exercise is for being in shape.. it just happens that camps and exercise go hand in hand..

I think a long camp is important. I'm skeptical in regards to claims some athletes make of their physical feats, I believe some lie and exaggerate to win a mental challenge over their opponents.
Like a lot of fighters say they will train for 8 hours a day and I highly doubt that's true. It's just not physically possible to be going 8 hours straight. Like, watching footage for 2 hours shouldn't be included in what they say is 8 hours of training.
And then when you're receiving instruction that's also more down time. So it might take 8 hours total, but overall at most it'll be like 4 hours of truly training.
Haha
I came to this conclusion from everyday life.
How skinny Ppl always say "oh I eat anything and I don't work out but I'm still skinny." They're always lying they barely eat and they move around a lot.
Schemers!!

It really depends on how in shape they are out of camp. A guy like Paddy who basically lets himself go after a fight needs 3 full months to get himself back into fighting shape. Some guys train year round and can take a fight on two weeks notice no problem.

This. I've always been surprised at how many guys don't stay in shape between fights, especially guys that are in the big leagues. Seems like an unnecessary handicap to put on themselves.

The duration of your training camp is influenced by your fitness level and experience. Drawing from my experience as a former Muay Thai fighter, I often look to the Thais as exemplary practitioners. Their training volume remains relatively stable due to frequent fights occurring every other week. In my opinion, if you maintain good fitness, your training camp should typically span 4-6 weeks, prioritizing strategic aspects rather than technique and physical conditioning.

I think alot of people overtrain in general. Guys definitely need to stay in shape and work on some things, but i think your better off working on cardio and just drilling specific things related to your opponent rather than going all out during a full camp. The healthier and fresher you are going into a fight the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BackagainBert
Back