How Many Hours on the Bags is "too much"?

TK (Taylor Kelly)

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Im a relatively new but passionate fighter who is addicted to the punching bags. My gym has heavy bag, banana bags, half bags, speed bag, these wavemaster things. So what I'm hitting depends on the day but I've been hitting them a lot and I don't want to overdo it. Yes I wrap my hands and use 14oz gloves but shoulders and calves get sore because I do a lot of kicking too.

Anyways on a day like today I'll hit the bag for 1.5-2hrs around noon and then have MT training for 1.5 hrs before I go and practice the new combinations and techniques the bags for 2-3hrs until the gym closes. I usually do these 4 days a week and the other "days off" are an upper body lift and a leg lift. I work core in whenever the bags are full and then my only true day off is shadow boxing and a lot of rest.

Only been doing this for about a month so the soreness has caught up and just started to take Aleve so I can get better workouts in with the sore legs and all.

That's waaaay too much bag time. I'd stick to around 20-30minutes max on the heavy bag

When i train a solo session at home. I often do 20 x 3 min rounds om the heavybag

BTW, if the original poster is looking for some perspective on training, this book is a good place to start. A champion's workout is a reasonable one.

I like to do HIIT, tried to make weght jacking off the first time around. Most painful shit ever. Went at it 6x in an hour.

The trick is to jack yourself off instead of others. That way you lose some extra every time you "finish".
You'll be less popular this way compared to your old way though.

Back