How long to heal face damage?

TK (Taylor Kelly)

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
First off I wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I have yet to actually compete in MMA but I've been training on and off through college and am very passionate about it. I would've fought earlier but my parents said they wouldn't help me pay tuition if I fought in fear of injuries causing my grades to slip. I'm graduating this May and have a job lined up to be a manager for a regional retail chain my dad is on the board of directors for.

He made it clear that showing up to work with black eyes won't fly when dealing with people daily in a serious position. I however have come to far to let my dream die and want to go on and continue training MT, TKD, BJJ, and MMA regardless. I plan on using my vacation time directly after I decide to schedule fights in order to heal any possible damage I take.

So the question therefore is how long does it typically take for the black eyes and nasty swelling/cuts that come with MMA to heal? I've been in street fights before and taken damage but nothing extreme and I never really paid attention to the healing process but I want to make sure I give myself enough time so I don't put my job in jeopardy. Thanks.

Between 1-2 weeks to 1 month depending on the damage. Most likely somewhere around one month to look totally normal if you are in a proper scrap but for just a black-eye like 2 weeks.

I've moved your thread to a section you can get better advice from.

Last edited:
Not really possible to give general advice, it depends heavily on skin type (compare Fedor/GSP to Anderson Silva) and other individual factors; like with me personally, haematoma/swelling heals in a couple days usually, but even light cuts take weeks and tend to scar up weirdly. And on top of those individual factors it also depends on how the damage is treated (ice, arnica, etc.). But generally, dont expect to look 100% untouched before ca. 10 days for swelling/bruises and ca. 3 weeks for cuts if you're a more or less average white skinned male and treat lesions porperly.

Like the others said, it depends on the damage, but it also depends on each individual... Some heal fast, some slower. Some bruise easily, some a lot harder.

If you still want to train (hard) your best option is head gear. Either with a nose bar, or at least with good cheek pads.

You could just cake on makeup like a news anchor

(I know I'm not really helping)

First off I wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I have yet to actually compete in MMA but I've been training on and off through college and am very passionate about it. I would've fought earlier but my parents said they wouldn't help me pay tuition if I fought in fear of injuries causing my grades to slip. I'm graduating this May and have a job lined up to be a manager for a regional retail chain my dad is on the board of directors for.

He made it clear that showing up to work with black eyes won't fly when dealing with people daily in a serious position. I however have come to far to let my dream die and want to go on and continue training MT, TKD, BJJ, and MMA regardless. I plan on using my vacation time directly after I decide to schedule fights in order to heal any possible damage I take.

So the question therefore is how long does it typically take for the black eyes and nasty swelling/cuts that come with MMA to heal? I've been in street fights before and taken damage but nothing extreme and I never really paid attention to the healing process but I want to make sure I give myself enough time so I don't put my job in jeopardy. Thanks.

How many people have been to some Mc Dojo kung fu or karate, or trained in other physical sports, even if they have not trained in the hard contact combat sports. Not many people are bothered by someone wanting to train in martial arts and turn up with a black eye, and they get used to seeing it.

Back