How long does it take to advance from white belt in BJJ?

My goal is a blue belt before I'm 26, purple before 29, brown before 31, and black before 35. I'm 23 now. Patience young grasshopper, for the rushing wave will soon crash. But the steady tide shall continue to rise.

I made that last part up...I should be some cheesy kung fu guru!

You need to start your own martial art school which is entirely focused on producing inane metaphors.

My goal is a blue belt before I'm 26, purple before 29, brown before 31, and black before 35. I'm 23 now. Patience young grasshopper, for the rushing wave will soon crash. But the steady tide shall continue to rise.

I made that last part up...I should be some cheesy kung fu guru!

Dude if youre training right you should be black by like 28.

He might not be a BJ Penn...better give him to 29 :p

Very relaxed and realistic timeline though in all seriousness.

1 week. unless your totally worthless and weak then it might take 2. it took me 5 days but only cause i was drunk half the time. so dont drink kid, that shits bad for you.

When I started in January this year, I had a goal of getting my blue belt in a year. That was before I knew anything. If I was in my 20s maybe, but I'm 41. Now my thought is, I would rather be a badass, scary white belt than a mediocre blue belt. After 6 months, I am just approaching mediocre white belt status. Don't rush it.

I feel like this is a very healthy attitude, regardless of age or skills.

It really depends on your instructor. I've seen guys get promoted based on their attendance (I don't agree with that but I digress, big BJJ schools don't really have a better option) and other guys only if they could pull off certain techniques during 100% rolls with higher belt students. I went to one school that wouldn't promote any white belts to blue unless they could sweep the black belt instructor..

Is there a test that the instructors give to see if you're ready?
At my BJJ gym the next belt after white is green belt. I thought the next belt was blue belt? I'm kind of confused on that part. Also, when can I start sparring?
I just started BJJ at 17 years old.

A lot of good advice here.

If your in a good school, all of your questions and concerns should have been answered.

Also, when can I start sparring?
When american law stops allowing everyone to sue everybody for any reason, including being hurt in a BJJ class.
In everywhere else in the world you would be rolling (the word we use for sparring) from week one.

Any gym not run by a complete idiot has insurance and makes participants sign waivers. It's not about liability.

The reason some gyms don't throw new guys into sparring right away is because they don't know anything yet. More experienced white belts (and even some immature higher belts) tend to smell blood in the water, and they want to try being the hammer instead of the nail for a bit....problem is they smash newbies and make them not want to come back.

By making newbies drill technique prior to live rolling, some instructors feel it makes newbies more technical and less spazzy. It also means they don't build as many bad habits common to newbies.

Personally, I disagree, and felt like I progressed further faster by being thrown to the wolves on day 1. However I see the other side, because I've watched a lot of newbies bail after getting smashed on their first day.

depends on you.

But I have been part of a schools that do 1 year. And been part of a school that takes 4 years.

I have only been to one school that has tests per stripe.

Back