How is fruitarian possible?

I'm just going to go out of my way and not watch that video. I was going to, and then I got almost 30 seconds in and I got that feeling of unease you get watching someone who is about to make a big mistake or embarass themselves, and I just couldn't go on. Tell me if I am wrong, but my social 'sixth sense' makes me fell like I am not...

Oh no. Do it. It's great.

It's science.

I promise.

As far as Durian Rider goes, this video provides a good amount of lulz:

[YT]The8ACrMPdA[/YT]

This might possibly be the most unscientific video that i've ever watched in my life. This guy has literally no clue how the human body operates in any way shape or form. the fact that there are people that would follow this asshat is absolutely mind boggling. May god have mercy on all of our souls.

This might possibly be the most unscientific video that i've ever watched in my life. This guy has literally no clue how the human body operates in any way shape or form. the fact that there are people that would follow this asshat is absolutely mind boggling. May god have mercy on all of our souls.

But everyone knows that steroids only build fake muscles (that's why they are allowed in competitions that are about performance and not physique), and any hobbyist weightlifter who can't put up elite world class numbers is being held back by all the inflammation in their muscles from not being vegan!

It's science, bro.

But everyone knows that steroids only build fake muscles (that's why they are allowed in competitions that are about performance and not physique), and any hobbyist weightlifter who can't put up elite world class numbers is being held back by all the inflammation in their muscles from not being vegan!

It's science, bro.

I can't benchpress 500 pounds. Should I become vegan to reduce my fake creatine muscles?

lol, that video is like "usain bolt can run 30 mph. You can only run 20? Clearly you are in shitty shape."

lol, that video is like "usain bolt can run 30 mph. You can only run 20? Clearly you are in shitty shape."

It's because you're not fruitarian bro. Eat 30 bananas a day and you'll run faster.

Alright, i am watching it, I am doing it in sections, and I am 1 minute in. And my brain hurts. There have already been ridiculous logical leaps, and I can tell it's not going to get better. I really hope this guy is a fringe figure and isn't actually looked up to or even the leader of some community...

-EDIT-

Nope, can't do it, too dumb. This has been a good thread. Have a good day everyone.

Alright, i am watching it, I am doing it in sections, and I am 1 minute in. And my brain hurts. There have already been ridiculous logical leaps, and I can tell it's not going to get better. I really hope this guy is a fringe figure and isn't actually looked up to or even the leader of some community...

-EDIT-

Nope, can't do it, too dumb. This has been a good thread. Have a good day everyone.

I managed to get about 2 minutes into the video before I couldn't take any more.

I did send it around to a couple of friends, and it made their morning. Though they were not sure if they believed he was serious.

"Its faek cweeateen MAHssles, mayne"

Well, if you consider that evidence is now pretty supportive of the idea that man actually cooked meat WAY earlier than originally thought, it wouldn't be that hard to eat 'paleo' :)

Also, i am not sure on this, but I think I remember reading about Fitch years ago (maybe after he had a fight in TKO, an old Canadian promotion?) showing up to a gym with nothing but his car and everything he owned in it and sleeping on the floor at night. Maybe i have the wrong person though, as I said, it was a long time ago.

And yeah, some people stop eating meat and feel (or even think they feel, placebo is a strong effect, it should NEVER be underrated) better, some are athletes, a handful are fairly high level. Other athletes start from nothing and begin to make enough money to eat MORE meat, and start performing much better.

A few years ago there was a great bit of reporting on Cuban bodybuilders, very neat look at a group who was dirt poor, and the difference between those who could afford expensive meat and those who could not. Very interesting and it had a lot of tie-ins to different peasant populations (now and also in the past) and their eating habits, like how chinese soldiers in ancient times had a diet that included meat in every meal, something the peasants of the nation could never have (except for fishermen, but I think it was more about red meat).

Also, have no doubt that someone out there gets the entirety of their calories from a single food source, like bananas. Somewhere out there, there is at least one person doing or surviving on pretty much everything and anything. There are a lot of batty people.

I've yet to come across a single good argument against the idea that the best course you can take regarding nutrition is to eat a wide variety of quality foods. I've also listened to people try and raise hell about genetically modified foods who actually thought wheat and corn occured the way they currently are in nature, and didn't realize that apple trees are possibly the most succesfully cloned organism of all time (and also not native to North America, I lived by an apple orchard as a kid :) ).

There's a good chance the louder someone is yelling about nutrition, the crazier they are, and the more they are pushing a product or lifestyle, the more they just want either acceptance or your money.

Considering hybridized, modern veggies (i.e., pretty much all modern produce?) weren't eaten back in those days, and they hunted animals other than cows, chickens and such I'd say it's near impossible to eat 'paleo'. I have yet to see a consensus that agrees on exactly what humans pre-agriculture ate (it surely varied from place-to-place), and I don't see the relevance it has to modern life anyway.

Fitch being homeless doesn't mean he was like that his entire career, much less after entering the UFC. I don't see the relevance of bringing that up.

Everyone stopping eating meat and/or reducing their intake are under the affects of placebo? Haha, 'k.

They eat more meat and start performing better? What does that mean? What point does that make? Like, ate no meat, then started eating lots? Or, ate little of anything, then started eating more which included meat? That doesn't make sense to me.

And the Cuban bodybuilders - again - huh? There's also been studies that showed populations health improved and CVD rates dropped, curiously enough, when they had little to no access to meat/dairy, then disease rates went back up when they did (fuck, I'm trying to remember the study, some country during then post WWII. There's many like it out there too). Autopsied soldiers in the Korean War also had a bunch of plaque in their arteries and such. I've seen various arguments and studies about this stuff. Shrug.

Genetically modifying food/spraying it with herb/pesticides is different than the way contemporary things like apples, bananas, etc came about. If GM foods are 100% shown to be healthy, cool. But Monsanto's shadiness and things like terminator seeds? No thanks. Haven't pesticides and such been linked to colony collapse disorder among bees?

You described paleo/low carb gurus in your last paragraph.

There's also been studies that showed populations health improved and CVD rates dropped, curiously enough, when they had little to no access to meat/dairy, then disease rates went back up when they did (fuck, I'm trying to remember the study, some country during then post WWII. There's many like it out there too).

Pretty sure it was Poland fwiw.

Pretty sure it was Poland fwiw.

And/or Norway.

But they actually ate just as much animal foods, counting fish and seafood. And used more organ meats and such from the animals they did have access to.

The biggest drop was in sugar and flour consumption, which were very strictly rationed. And non-berry fruits which had to be imported. Yet all the vegans ever point to is the decrease in consumption of commonly domesticated animals.

If you're still trying to make a point, you should probably preface any statements with said point clearly stated, since this thread has landed solidly in banter and conversation in the last few pages.

Considering hybridized, modern veggies (i.e., pretty much all modern produce?) weren't eaten back in those days, and they hunted animals other than cows, chickens and such I'd say it's near impossible to eat 'paleo'. I have yet to see a consensus that agrees on exactly what humans pre-agriculture ate (it surely varied from place-to-place), and I don't see the relevance it has to modern life anyway.

You may have missed the point, it being that there is mounting evidence that humans were using fire to cook meat well into the 'paleo' era, thus a diet of fruit, vegetables, and fire cooked meats would likely count, which is different than the diets official view of what is acceptable.

Fitch being homeless doesn't mean he was like that his entire career, much less after entering the UFC. I don't see the relevance of bringing that up.

Yeah, this was that friendly banter part. It was relevant to the general flow of conversation. You kind of sound defensive here, but I'm not sure why, so maybe it's just me interpreting your tone wrong.

Everyone stopping eating meat and/or reducing their intake are under the affects of placebo? Haha, 'k.

No, probably not everyone, and I doubt I said that in my previous post, without looking, I most likely said 'some people feel (or think they feel)...', as that's a fairly neutral way to put it. Again, you seem kind of defensive, it's been a few pages since we were 'on track' in this thread, but I don't think anyone's attacking you. I think we are all struggling with a video about 'fake creatine muscle'...

Genetically modifying food/spraying it with herb/pesticides is different than the way contemporary things like apples, bananas, etc came about.

Very true, and I am actually very anti-some pesticides. The problems with stopping there use altogether are pretty daunting however, but I'll prefer garden grown whenever possible.

If GM foods are 100% shown to be healthy, cool. But Monsanto's shadiness and things like terminator seeds? No thanks. Haven't pesticides and such been linked to colony collapse disorder among bees?

There is widespread belief that pesticides are responsible for CCD in bee populations, I believe the UK is making some major moves assuming this is correct (I might be wrong on the country), but as far as I have seen, there is no conclusive proof so far. And don't let your dislike of a company (however powerful and Lex Luthor like in it's evil plots) colour your entire view of a practice like genetically modifying foods. It was being done before Monsanto/Lexcorp, and will be done after them as well.

You described paleo/low carb gurus in your last paragraph.

I think I described a lot of 'guru's' in that sentence, not all, and certainly not one specific group. Again, you seem kind of aggressively defensive here, but maybe that's just how I'm reading it.

There are lots of universal health truths we can agree on.

Excess sugar and non fibrous flours are bad.

Lots of fiber and fresh produce is good.

Complete protein is mandatory, but you can get it from mixed legumes and grains among other things.

I would find it hard to believe herding and animal farming didn't come WAY before hybridization of vegetables. How hard is to keep a chicken in a cave until it was time to eat it?

If you're still trying to make a point, you should probably preface any statements with said point clearly stated, since this thread has landed solidly in banter and conversation in the last few pages.

You may have missed the point, it being that there is mounting evidence that humans were using fire to cook meat well into the 'paleo' era, thus a diet of fruit, vegetables, and fire cooked meats would likely count, which is different than the diets official view of what is acceptable.

Ah, alrighty. Still sound gimmicky to me, especially the corny 'eat primal' thing that's often promoted.

Edit: In the interests of fairness, many vegans/vegan sites are absurdly corny as well.

Yeah, this was that friendly banter part. It was relevant to the general flow of conversation. You kind of sound defensive here, but I'm not sure why, so maybe it's just me interpreting your tone wrong.

Haha, of course I'm defensive, look at this thread. None-the-less, it was brought up in a way seemingly to discredit what he said about switching his diet.

No, probably not everyone, and I doubt I said that in my previous post, without looking, I most likely said 'some people feel (or think they feel)...', as that's a fairly neutral way to put it. Again, you seem kind of defensive, it's been a few pages since we were 'on track' in this thread, but I don't think anyone's attacking you. I think we are all struggling with a video about 'fake creatine muscle'...

Yeah, the whole tone of it made it look like you were searching for anything other than the dietary switch.

The creatine thing, haha. I'm still trying to figure out what he meant. Well, actually, I kind of gave up.

Very true, and I am actually very anti-some pesticides. The problems with stopping there use altogether are pretty daunting however, but I'll prefer garden grown whenever possible.

Pretty much. I can't help but think, too, when you see pictures of someone in pretty much a full hazmat suit spraying stuff on your food, eh, leaves a bad taste in one's mouth (har har).

There is widespread belief that pesticides are responsible for CCD in bee populations, I believe the UK is making some major moves assuming this is correct (I might be wrong on the country), but as far as I have seen, there is no conclusive proof so far. And don't let your dislike of a company (however powerful and Lex Luthor like in it's evil plots) colour your entire view of a practice like genetically modifying foods. It was being done before Monsanto/Lexcorp, and will be done after them as well.

I bring them up specifically because with their business practices, they clearly don't give a shit if what they're doing is safe. I've seen articles, studies, etc showing there to be hazards with GM foods, but it's one of those things I don't like to bring up, because trying to cite sources would be a bear as I don't bookmark everything I read. I'm not against GM, but I think they need to be thoroughly test to make sure the modifications are safe.

I think I described a lot of 'guru's' in that sentence, not all, and certainly not one specific group. Again, you seem kind of aggressively defensive here, but maybe that's just how I'm reading it.

True, and you're reading into that correctly. Because I've been jumped so many times in this thread (yet, while if anyone else posts false/contradictory info or makes absurd claims, no one calls them on it), I'm automatically looking for passive aggressive/backhanded statements.

And/or Norway.

But they actually ate just as much animal foods, counting fish and seafood. And used more organ meats and such from the animals they did have access to.

The biggest drop was in sugar and flour consumption, which were very strictly rationed. And non-berry fruits which had to be imported. Yet all the vegans ever point to is the decrease in consumption of commonly domesticated animals.

It wasn't Poland.

Norway is correct, I am having trouble finding info and unbiased sources one way or the other.

There's also the autopsies done on Korean soldiers.

Last edited:
I would find it hard to believe herding and animal farming didn't come WAY before hybridization of vegetables. How hard is to keep a chicken in a cave until it was time to eat it?

Domesticated animals likely came way before what we would consider 'agriculture', but it has been a long time since I remember reading about it. I am also pretty sure that dogs were domesticated before pack animals to assist in hunting which was obviously done far before herding. (On that topic, National Geographic did a great article in 2011 ago on domesticating foxes, and it turns out it probably only took a couple of generations of animals to go from sharp eared grey wolves to floppy eared, multi-coloured dogs, with all their unique character traits).

As for the 'fake creatine muscle', it's kind of like he's heard about creatine causing water retention, mixed that in with hypertrophy, has some understanding that myofibril hypertrophy is different than sacroplasmic hypertrophy, and with his limited vocabulary to explain his thoughts (or maybe just being rushed on camera), concluded that creatine using weightlifters who are 'big' have 'fake' muscle/aren't as strong as someone who trains for pure strength and doesn't put effort into putting on size. Or maybe he's just an idiot.

Back