How important is weight in BJJ ?

All martial arts confrontations can be broken down on two dimensions: mental/technical and physical. You can think of it as having two weights each to put on a scale, and whoever has the higher combined weight wins. So you can have a slight mental/technical deficit in comparison to your opponent but a huge physical edge (maybe you outweigh him by 50 lbs) and you'll still win. Or you might be much smaller or older or weaker but have a significant mental/technical edge and be able to beat him despite your physical disadvantage. This is what happens when athletic white belts roll with older black belts. There are also diminishing returns as both your skill and physicality increase in comparison to your opponent, which is to say that generally if you're both high on one dimension and low on the other the match will be decided by who has the edge in the dimension you're both weaker on. So two very athletic people with middling technique fight, it will probably be decided by who has the better technique rather than who has the better physicality. Likewise, if two guys have great technique but aren't very athletic even if one guy is slightly more technical but less athletic he'll probably lose most of the time. In your case OP you're deficient on both dimensions as a smaller white belt against bigger blue belts, so you're just going to have a rough time. Honestly, it wasn't until I was late blue/early purple that I was able to easily handle bigger, stronger white belts, and even as a late purple I had guys (a 330, 6'8" blue belt comes to mind) who I couldn't do a whole lot with. Technique can only compensate for so much difference in physicality, though the converse is also true.

All martial arts confrontations can be broken down on two dimensions: mental/technical and physical. You can think of it as having two weights each to put on a scale, and whoever has the higher combined weight wins. So you can have a slight mental/technical deficit in comparison to your opponent but a huge physical edge (maybe you outweigh him by 50 lbs) and you'll still win. Or you might be much smaller or older or weaker but have a significant mental/technical edge and be able to beat him despite your physical disadvantage. This is what happens when athletic white belts roll with older black belts. There are also diminishing returns as both your skill and physicality increase in comparison to your opponent, which is to say that generally if you're both high on one dimension and low on the other the match will be decided by who has the edge in the dimension you're both weaker on. So two very athletic people with middling technique fight, it will probably be decided by who has the better technique rather than who has the better physicality. Likewise, if two guys have great technique but aren't very athletic even if one guy is slightly more technical but less athletic he'll probably lose most of the time. In your case OP you're deficient on both dimensions as a smaller white belt against bigger blue belts, so you're just going to have a rough time. Honestly, it wasn't until I was late blue/early purple that I was able to easily handle bigger, stronger white belts, and even as a late purple I had guys (a 330, 6'8" blue belt comes to mind) who I couldn't do a whole lot with. Technique can only compensate for so much difference in physicality, though the converse is also true.

I am, unfortunately, the dictionary definition of unathletic. Never have been. I'm not fat or even over weight, I'm 5'8" 170 pounds. I'm pretty fit. Just not athletic. I'm not flexible , not explosive, not very coordinated.

I'm holding with enough time I can overcome all that to at least hang with people my size and experience.

I have instinctively been using the butterfly guard out of necessity but my professor says I need to be sitting up somewhat for it to be effective but with heavier guys I'm flat on my back but manage to sink the butterfly hooks in. Is that still good ? Seems to bother them until they smash my knees down between their legs then it's full mount city

On your back with butterfly hooks does nothing (except lets you get up to sitting). You have to be sitting. Get your head lower than theirs (with good posture still) and they won't be able to flatten you on your back. Come in at a slight angle, retreat if you have to or get your weight under them and send them flying.

Part of the game. You gotta take your lumps, but I promise, if you stick with it, you WILL get better. I couldn't do much to the big folk besides tap for prolly about a year and some change. I slowly started to realize their strength was only great the fist couple minutes of the roll, and If i was careful and used every ounce of what I knew, I could land a sweep/reversal/escape sometimes. That's all I needed, just to be able to do it once to prove to myself it could be done....then slowly you develop a game specific approach. Keep at it man, there's nothing like beating a bigger dude, by far my favorite thing about the sport.

Im 5'10, 90kg and usually have a size advantage in any given class. So when someone is bigger than me I really notice it and it makes a difference and realy makes me focus on technique and patience. As such, Im usually always striving for top/side control and my guard sucks

Well today we start from the knees. I grab his lapel / sleeve and he just basically lunges forward and pushes me to my back and quickly passes my guard to side control. It's just way too much pressure and weight for me to do anything. The 3rd sub he lunges forward and gets my head in a front choke within seconds. It's like going against a bulldozer
By no means am I an authority(one stripe white), but my first seminar was with Daniel Beleza and one thing he said that has helped as much as anything was that "if he pushes I pull, and if he pulls I push". As they push walk it back. If they get off balance try and push them to the mat. If not then you are in the same position as you started. Granted I have only made this work against noobs like me that are bigger.

Imho it's more about base than weight. A 250lb noob isn't a problem for me, now a 250lb purple and up... dear god

I'm 5'4" 146lbs. It's tough, but butterfly guard and arm drags are your best friends. Lol. Learn to use your speed advantage. Also, if you're not lifting, you should be. Most guys are bigger than me at my gym, but few are stronger and that certainly helps.

I'm 155 lbs and smash 210+ guys consistently until we get to the brown or above. I'm just shy of my 4th stripe on my purple. Other purples that size it is hit or miss and depends on the position. They usually get more tired than me and quicker than me. I have more mobility than them typically.

So knowing this, I try to put myself in positions where I can use my mobility against them. I try to take Side control, knee on belly and their back.

learn butterfly guard/x guard/single leg x guard sequences

Back