How has Robbie Lawler had such great longevity as an MMA contender?

BoxingFan653

C-137
@Brown
Reaction score
Was randomly watching UFC videos and saw this (time-stamped for the KO :) )

It's amazing how Robbie is still in the UFC and fighting at such a high level. He has been fighting since the era of fucking Tiki Ghosn. Just to give you an idea during that time the era of BJ Penn V Matt Hughes was just starting. Andrei Arlovski hadn't even begun his infamous run yet and Anderson Silva and GSP were no names at the time.

Is there any one else with this type of longevity in MMA history? Oddly enough Nick Diaz is kind of close to being good after all these years but Robbie has somehow elevated his game year after year. I gave him 0% chance against Cowboy and he stood his ground.

I think he said he doesn't spar. That would help his brain out tremendously and allow for a long career

Was randomly watching UFC videos and saw this (time-stamped for the KO :) )

It's amazing how Robbie is still in the UFC and fighting at such a high level. He has been fighting since the era of fucking Tiki Ghosn. Just to give you an idea during that time the era of BJ Penn V Matt Hughes was just starting. Andrei Arlovski hadn't even begun his infamous run yet and Anderson Silva and GSP were no names at the time.

Is there any one else with this time of longevity in MMA history? Oddly enough Nick Diaz is kind of close to being good after all these years but Robbie has somehow elevated his game year after year. I gave him 0% chance against Cowboy and he stood his ground.

That's why Sherdog hates Woodley. Robbie is awesome.

Stopped sparring, went back to welterweight where he belonged, and mostly because he is fucking mental.

That's why Sherdog hates Woodley.

You think so? I thought he looked great when he had to win against Robbie but is now just trying to Floyd up UFC. Make every one hate you and run around as much as possible. If Woodley can somehow keep this up another year or so he will be a top draw just to see him lose ala Mayweather

I think he said he doesn't spar. That would help his brain out tremendously and allow for a long career

I don't know about "doesn't spar" But he def. doesn't go Wanderlei Silva in sparring.

You think so? I thought he looked great when he had to win against Robbie but is now just trying to Floyd up UFC. Make every one hate you and run around as much as possible. If Woodley can somehow keep this up another year or so he will be a top draw just to see him lose ala Mayweather
Let's say that's why people disliked Woodley in the beginning.

I admire how he neutralized WB and Maia, but entertainment is this not.

Shame that fight was stopped so early, Tiki only got a cut.

Him and Cerrone have both said they've cut out sparring.

Yo, shout out to the interviewer, Jeff Osborne. His comic book/arcade shop in Evansville is pretty awesome.

Is there any one else with this type of longevity in MMA history?

No known weaknesses
BSMFhnU.png

Dude didn't spar for like 5 years. Gym wars take a lot out of a guy.

Take it back? Nah I got a cut.

Seriously,he said he didn't spar for 6 years. That helped a lot his already miracolous chin.

Was the Tiki Ghosn era as good as the Machida era??

Does not go full retard in sparring and has loves to fight. Also there was a time when he was nowhere close to be a contender. He had some up and downs but he showed old schoolers can evolve. Most decided not to.

Back