How good was Cung Le?

He was a good punching dummy for Micheal Bisping, Mike made a mess of his face

He was a Joe Lauzon level fighter. Entertaining to watch against lower competition but not able to cut it with the upper echelon.

Would've been nice to see him compete at an earlier age.

Lost to Scott Smith.

Scott Smith finished Cung in his "prime"...
yeah way to leave out the fact that cung was wiping the floor with him before he got caught late in the 3rd round. it happens. cung then went on to destroy him in the rematch.

as far as this thread goes, cung was a very unique and gifted striker. he didn't enter mma until his late 30s and still accomplished a lot. kind of a what if story, but still impressive what he did in a short time.

His cardio and chin would have been a problem for him at any age in MMA. His offense was better than his defense. I think in a ring he'd have done much better. He wrestled when he was younger and was pretty good in that area.

I have heard a lot about his cardio problems. Was it genetics or did he not train in it?

I know some people have crap cardio but it can be trained and its hard to over train compared to heavy taxing workouts like compound exercises or intense grappling/striking sparring.

Wand beat him when no one believed he could.

Wand was catching hell in the process. Cung covered distance like a WW in some of his kicks. No fear in the spin. Would watch this fight a 5th time.

Scott Smith finished Cung in his "prime"...

He was 37 years old in that fight, you must be like 75 years old if you think a 37 year old is "in his prime"

I remember being amazed at cung le while watching kickboxing on CBS on the weekend when I was a kid. Dude was awesome and could have made real waves if he got into mma when he was in his early-mid 20s.

He was a great kicker, poor boxer, and an ok wrestler.

His fights have been very entertaining to watch.

B level fighter but extremely entertaining. Loved his fights

tumblr_inline_my6r95Kc251rv74kd.gif

Got into MMA kinda late, especially considering his style. He was good but not one of the greats.

Cung Le was a highly regarded san shou and kickboxing fighter in the late 90's. Because of his san shou background, he also had good TDD and clinch work.
By the time he was fighting in SF, it was some 10 years later. By the time he fought in the UFC, it was a few years after that. By this time, no matter what a journalist asked him about, all he would talk about was food.

Cung Le was a highly regarded san shou and kickboxing fighter in the late 90's. Because of his san shou background, he also had good TDD and clinch work.
By the time he was fighting in SF, it was some 10 years later. By the time he fought in the UFC, it was a few years after that. By this time, no matter what a journalist asked him about, all he would talk about was food.

Waaaaat!!!???

Did he really talk about food in all MMA interviews? Is he obsessed with fine dinning or fast food?

I still contend that if he would have fought in the UFC around 2000, which would have been his physical prime, he would have been a multiple time UFC champ and gone down as an all time great. What if scenario (I know) but having watched his fights at that time I don't think anyone at 185 could have competed with his combined level of striking and grappling

His fight against Frank Shamrock was epic. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. Very fun to watch, but not complete enough to challenge at top levels of the UFC.
This, This.

Back