How do you throw a teep, how do you throw a SIDE TEEP?

You pick up your foot, then put it in his stomach.

Teep: Its the same mechanics as when you throw a long knee, just with a longer distance

You get out of your bedroom and start training at a Muay Thai gym

You pick up your foot, then put it in his stomach.

So its almost like a Kung Fu kick, I was taught in muay thai to pick up the leg bring close to the body (chamber) and then thrust the hips forward which thrusts the leg straight out and forward.

Am I right in assuming they also do it the kung fu way where he hips thrust AFTER the the leg swings up at the knee?

Is that the way most thais teep? But westerners get taught the other slower more powerful method?

So its almost like a Kung Fu kick, I was taught in muay thai to pick up the leg bring close to the body (chamber) and then thrust the hips forward which thrusts the leg straight out and forward.

Am I right in assuming they also do it the kung fu way where he hips thrust AFTER the the leg swings up at the knee?

Is that the way most thais teep? But westerners get taught the other slower more powerful method?

There's multiple types of teeps...sounds like you're describing one for offense. For defense, you can just life the leg up and intercept them coming in without that much hip thrust, like Sam-A here:

Sam-A-vs-Dechsakda-Rd-3-18.-Sam-A-Lead-Teep-Fake-Knee-Shield-and-Body-Kick.gif

There's multiple types of teeps...sounds like you're describing one for offense. For defense, you can just life the leg up and intercept them coming in without that much hip thrust, like Sam-A here:

Sam-A-vs-Dechsakda-Rd-3-18.-Sam-A-Lead-Teep-Fake-Knee-Shield-and-Body-Kick.gif
Awesome cheers brother, the guy doing the side teep in the video appears to be doing this "weaker" version of the teep but appears to be knocking the crap out of his opponents is it a mix of powerful hips, good technique, timing, off balancing and pushiness of the technique? Hes basically doing the defensive "weak" teep with a side on angle?

He;s probably just dominating the scorecard and knocking them down rather than doing damage?

Last edited:
A few things on "the guy", Samart Payakaroon is in many muay thai fans eyes the greatest to ever do it. Secondly, this fight was in the first round, where he eventually leads his man trying to navigate around the teep/jab double attack into some serious power shots.

The side teep and the teep are relatively simple techniques, but the timing and distancing of using the technique as Samart does is next level. Generally, its a firmly rooted base leg, and a hip thrust. Sometimes with a quick gather step or base leg hop for distance. The "side teep" was Samart's variation to chain his teep and jab together. Instead of having his foot pointing straight or outward to check, he chose to be more proactive with his lead foot pointed inward toward the centerline constantly threatening the centerline with teeps, jabs, and lead leg slide backs when needed.

Heres the man himself explaining the teep

Also a bit off topic, but I thought I'd take the time to gush about Samart. You may have been inclined to think he was cruising to a decision, but what I loved about Samart is after his boxing career, he always made sure to establish and fight behind his jab/teep early in MT. Often times switching stances so to always be threatening the centerline with his lead side attacks. The cold efficiency of it is beautiful. You don't really see this in stadium muay thai anymore, and its a shame.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back