How do you like Anthony Lionheart's chances vs Volkan? I don't like them

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
First of all, I don't see Volkan as some kind of a ultimate perfect striker.
He has his flows, in defence, in ability to overcome when fight doesn't go his way etc.
Cormier found the range against him. OSP also found it eventually.

Yet, he's totally dangerous from close range with his punches and he can set up getting there with kicks.
He's a smart kickboxer and smart at controlling the range.

Anthony Smith did well in fighting on his range against Shogun. He use his length to set up punches from distance he loved.
The issue is, Volkan is loooooong. Long even for LHW. He's not that bulked, but had he been bulked, he probably would've become a HW.
Anthony, on the other hand...long for a MW, had longer overall reach than Rashad and Shogun, but Volkan will probably tower him. And he will be bigger at frame (not that it matters much).
In battle of who controls the standup fight, Volkan will probably have an upper hand.

Another issue is:
Anthony Smith has maybe rejuvenated his career by moving up, but what he cannot rejuvenate is his chin.
And his chin has never been his strong side to begin with. He cannot absorb punches that Cormier did in the first minutes of a fight with Volkan, he cannot allow to do that.

So, unless Anthony has some wild card in his sleeve - going full NCAA in this fight for example - I don't see a good outcome for him.

Thoughts?

I agree. I pick Volkan by KO.

Anthony is a good fighter and has a bright future in the division but Volkan is arguably the best striker at LHW right now, certainly one of the most dangerous. This might be Anthony's worst matchup at 205.

Anthony has both the height (6'4 vs 6'2) and reach (76 inches vs 75 inches) advantage, so he could most definitely aim to use a gameplan that relies on him fighting on the outside.

I don't know what to expect from the fight, mainly because Smith had instances where he relied on his grappling in the regional circuit and Volkan has shown vulnerability in that area. I expect it to be competitive, with Volkan having the edge early on due to Smith being a slow starter more often than not.

If Smith survives long enough, I could see him rallying back. Be it by outworking Volkan from range or surprising him with a trip. All in all, I'm expecting a good fight and for Volkan to get his hand raised.

Did Cormier found the range against him? I remember him getting outstruck and eventually deciding to take him down

Did Cormier found the range against him? I remember him getting outstruck and eventually deciding to take him down
Volkan had some success early, then Cormier started landing some very nice punches and even wobbled him. Then he went for the takedown and mauled him.

Volkan by KO.
Smith will push for the knockout and Volkan will catch him coming in.

I don't think Volkan is a technical, amazing striker but he comes out guns blazing, he hits hard, he has a good chin, he reduces the distance easily and he's comfortable and quick in the close distance. Typical brawler imo. If it ends in the first Volkan takes it. Otherwise I favor Smith. But I think it will end in the first and Volkan's gonna win by one of those brutal KOs.

I could see Anthony clinching up and trading Volkan's power right for his right elbow and one of'em crumbles.

Lionheart ??? wtf is wrong with these nicknames.
anyway, Volkan destroys him

tenor.gif

Anthony has both the height (6'4 vs 6'2) and reach (76 inches vs 75 inches) advantage, so he could most definitely aim to use a gameplan that relies on him fighting on the outside.

I don't know what to expect from the fight, mainly because Smith had instances where he relied on his grappling in the regional circuit and Volkan has shown vulnerability in that area. I expect it to be competitive, with Volkan having the edge early on due to Smith being a slow starter more often than not.

If Smith survives long enough, I could see him rallying back. Be it by outworking Volkan from range or surprising him with a trip. All in all, I'm expecting a good fight and for Volkan to get his hand raised.
379406-12732420.png

So glad I changed my mind.

He has his flows, in defence, in ability to overcome when fight doesn't go his way etc.

Yet, he's totally dangerous from close range with his punches and he can set up getting there with kicks.

Anthony Smith did well in fighting on his range against Shogun. He use his length to set up punches from distance he loved.
The issue is, Volkan is loooooong. Long even for LHW. He's not that bulked, but had he been bulked, he probably would've become a HW.
Anthony, on the other hand...long for a MW, had longer overall reach than Rashad and Shogun, but Volkan will probably tower him. And he will be bigger at frame (not that it matters much).
In battle of who controls the standup fight, Volkan will probably have an upper hand.

Another issue is:
Anthony Smith has maybe rejuvenated his career by moving up, but what he cannot rejuvenate is his chin.
And his chin has never been his strong side to begin with. He cannot absorb punches that Cormier did in the first minutes of a fight with Volkan, he cannot allow to do that.

So, unless Anthony has some wild card in his sleeve - going full NCAA in this fight for example - I don't see a good outcome for him.

Thoughts?

Another excellent piece of analysis. Great job.

Another issue is:

Thoughts?
Dan Hardy-esque in his assessment

Back