How do you feel about Eclipse Chasers?

I’m not going to lie, if I had the money and time to spare I’d join them. As it is I’m 2200 miles from where it will appear as a total eclipse, so way too far to make a day trip of it in my car, but if I was only say 500 miles away I would have taken the time off work and driven to check it out for sure.

I’m going to
I’m not going to lie, if I had the money and time to spare I’d join them. As it is I’m 2200 miles from where it will appear as a total eclipse, so way too far to make a day trip of it in my car, but if I was only say 500 miles away I would have taken the time off work and driven to check it out for sure.

I’m going to watch the eclipse tomorrow during my lunch breack (it’s at its maximum at 12:46pm here in Edmonton) but it’s only supposed to cover like 23% of the sun here, so less than the eclipse on October 14, 2023 and a lot less than the eclipse in August 2017.
No point imo, even at 95 to 99 percent you wouldn’t notice unless someone told you. The sun is so damn bright that even if a tiny bit of light escapes that all you will see. Nothing will turn dark either even at that high percentage. It’s totality or don’t bother

It's like once in a 100 years right? So I don't blame them. You have only chance in your lifetime to see something like this happening at real time. So it's completely understandable.

The last one that was visible in the US was 2017, so it isn't some one in a hundred years type of rarity.

I saw the one in 2017 and it was pretty cool I have to say. It's not just the darkness that you see because that would be kinda lame. You get to see something like this:
20170821-shankland-eclipse-14.jpg

No point imo, even at 95 to 99 percent you wouldn’t notice unless someone told you. The sun is so damn bright that even if a tiny bit of light escapes that all you will see. Nothing will turn dark either even at that high percentage. It’s totality or don’t bother

I have welding glass that I used to watch the eclipse in October and the one in 2017.

The last one that was visible in the US was 2017, so it isn't some one in a hundred years type of rarity.

I saw the one in 2017 and it was pretty cool I have to say. It's not just the darkness that you see because that would be kinda lame. You get to see something like this:
20170821-shankland-eclipse-14.jpg

Ok my bad, I thought it was a very rare event.

I have welding glass that I used to watch the eclipse in October and the one in 2017.
Is the the number 14 glass? Even so I wouldn’t mess with that stuff personally . I’m so paranoid of losing some of my vision, but I guess since you’re planning to do it again you know what you’re doing

Ok my bad, I thought it was a very rare event.
It is if you’re not willing to travel. The next one in my area is in 2070 something. Most happen over the ocean which is why they are considered a rare event. I guess they mean rare viewing opportunity and not so much the event itself

I don't get it.

Its just going to be dark for a couple of minutes, dont see the big deal, but thats just me. I guess for other people is a once(edit apparemtly isn't even that rare) in a lifetime astronomical event experience.

Even if I lived in an area that had the perfect view im not sure id bother going outside for the 5 minutes to look at it. We know what it is, doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

Came into work this morning and the hr girl came and gave me a pair of those eyes guards. I tried em and told her they don't work. I can't see anything. It's in our path in Illinois so we'll go out there in a few hours. Like 15 girls and then me. Don't worry they're all fat and or married. Sacrifice must be made haha.skoden.jpg

Is the the number 14 glass? Even so I wouldn’t mess with that stuff personally . I’m so paranoid of losing some of my vision, but I guess since you’re planning to do it again you know what you’re doing

They recommend #14 but #12 is actually good enough and that’s what I use, like barely any light gets through whatsoever. The sun just looks like a yellow circle through it, it doesn’t “shine” at all and is extremely dim. Makes me wonder if it would look like a dull orange or brown circle or something that you can barely see with #14.

They recommend #14 but #12 is actually good enough and that’s what I use, like barely any light gets through whatsoever. The sun just looks like a yellow circle through it, it doesn’t “shine” at all and is extremely dim. Makes me wonder if it would look like a dull orange or brown circle or something that you can barely see with #14.
I looked with my manual welding helmet and it wasn't as "defined" as it was with the glasses. I could see the sliver of sun, but couldn't make out the moon. I think it's a 12 lens in the helmet. I tried my auto helmet turned up to 14, but the sun isn't bright enough to activate it. The glasses made it crystal clear. But it's not real exciting, I sure wouldn't have traveled anywhere to see it. My 13 year old said "this was barely worth walking outside for". My 15 year old didn't even get up from his nap.

This is as much as was covered here in Edmonton. Not as much as October 2023 and definitely not as much as August 2017.

IMG_5961.jpeg

A buddy of mine is vacationing in Mazatlan, Mexico right now so they got to get some totality at their beach resort, and then he proposed to his girlfriend when the sun was as completely covered.

Last edited:
People always jump from one weird trend/hot thing to the next. I think what’s weirder is the conspiracy theories that have sprung up. Like, it’s 2024, we have the most incredible technology the world has ever known, but if the sun and moon do a strange thing in the sky then it must be the apocalypse, or a government takeover, or some weird shit.
the last one was in 2017, the next one is 2044.... have some fun, live a little, it wont hurt.

If you record the eclipse on your phone & posted the video on youtube, are you legally responsible for mass visual impairments?

<mirkoice>

Back