hqdefault.jpg

main-qimg-78f3013ecb52c07dcdbd21dfa7e8b541-c

hqdefault.jpg

APBoxingAnimation.gif

How wide the feet? How narrow?

Weight forward or back?

Toes straight on or to the side?

Why?

Im southpaw, fast, medium ranged, I prefer striking. But I am a generic MMA with no specialty.

I find it so hard to decide, and its like a fundamental and very important part of your game.

Boxing and Wrestling are the most dominant arts . So my stance should be bladed like a boxing stance but also my rear foot should be pointing forward so I can shoot well (mostly shoot for single legs as im southpaw so being bladed is a good thing for range) and I should be lower so I can defend better?

Would that be an optimal stance?

negro-boxer-after-dempseys-title-latest-photo-of-harry-wills-who-if-picture-id515401974

Like this but lower? Knees more bent, hands up higher

Last edited:
fedorcombatsambo.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

main-qimg-78f3013ecb52c07dcdbd21dfa7e8b541-c

hqdefault.jpg

APBoxingAnimation.gif

How wide the feet? How narrow?

Weight forward or back?

Toes straight on or to the side?

Why?

Im southpaw, fast, medium ranged, I prefer striking. But I am a generic MMA with no specialty
Your stance depends on your opponent.

If you're fighting a solid wrestler who's looking to do nothing but put you on your back, you're gonna be more forward-heavy. It would be similar to the last pic, the gif

whereas your opponent may be a striker who's quite dutch and is gonna leg kick you to the stone age, you'll be more traditional or 50-50 ready to check. Would be similar to Shogun's stance in the 3rd pic.

Your stance depends on your opponent.

If you're fighting a solid wrestler who's looking to do nothing but put you on your back, you're gonna be more forward-heavy. It would be similar to the last pic, the gif

whereas your opponent may be a striker who's quite dutch and is gonna leg kick you to the stone age, you'll be more traditional or 50-50 ready to check. Would be similar to Shogun's stance in the 3rd pic.

Smart idea!

Should you be optimizing your stance to their offense though? Would it not be better to optimize your stance to your greatest asset/offense instead?

So if you were a good wrestler optimize your stance for takedowns rather than optimize it for punch defense if you were against a good puncher?

Also should you not have as habit 1 main stance?

Smart idea!

Should you be optimizing your stance to their offense though? Would it not be better to optimize your stance to your greatest asset/offense instead?

So if you were a good wrestler optimize your stance for takedowns rather than optimize it for punch defense if you were against a good puncher?

Also should you not have as habit 1 main stance?

Ideally you'd like to optimize it to your strengths, but to keep it to your advantage, you'll make adjustments.

With both stances (forward heavy + traditional), I'm still able to strike fine so its not too foreign for each other. I can fight on the outside with both, and still clinch fine. The only difference is when I'm forward-heavy its hard to check kicks and teep, everything else is fine.

If I was a wrestler I'd probably still stay heavy with emphasis on movement and taking angles. It would probably be more 50-50 like I mentioned in the other thread. With that distribution in weight its enough to check kicks, move, and I;m able to come forward easily.
Its more dangerous for a striker to be put on their back than a wrestler getting their legs chopped to shreds. Even on the chop, they'll still press to close distance or catch and dump.

Its fine to have a main stance, you'll find what works best with you, but for diversity of different "styles", another one might be necessary. For me, my stance is like the Sambo guys in the OP, I do use a traditional stance, but its not my primary one.

I'll probably get shit for this, but I don't like a bladed stance, not just because its harder to check, or easier to get swept, but because if you get taken down with a strong blast double, alot can go wrong with your knee being compromised at that angle.

Very true.

And, so style dependent that it is impossible to say without knowing how you fight. Not to mention that your stance is going to change throughout the fight. You say that you are a striker so you may be in a boxer stance (interestingly absent from your image selection). Are you a power puncher or do you rely on speed? Again, the stance changes.
That's true.

Usually for fights we have footage of opponents so we have a general idea of what to expect. Sometimes we don't have that luxury but most of my events and teammate's opponents have had their fights put on YouTube. Our coach gives us the gameplan of the glaring sticking points he sees.

Back