How did shields out grapple Maia?

Shiellds is GOAT grappler. simply otherworldly for someone who looks like an accountant.

it was an iffy one to be honest. Maia got to shields back and slid off. i don't think jake ever achieved dominant position on maia but won based on TDs and time spent on top because he didn't attempt anything

This. Shields won but I wouldn't say he out grappled maia. He spent a lot of time on top. But that is enouh to win in mma.

Shields grabs on and never lets go. By far the most underrated WW in the sport.

In a straight up BJJ or grappling match Maia would beat him.

But just look at shields in grappling competitions like Metamoris. The guy is a world class grappler

Palhares destroy Shields like nothing. But he kind of fought dirty in that fight but still submitting shield is something.

I think Maia has embraced his roots more and seems way more comfortable now. He is not trying to be a good striker or anything like that. Also Jake is really good on the ground and probably the better wrestler.

Shields fights boring, and can't even finish a sandwich.

His wins are mostly by default, due to lack of action.

Shields is fantastic on the ground, but from what I remember that fight could have gone either way and it should really be a draw.

Granted I don't like Shields but IMO that fight was close as fuck and Jake won a few key exchanges when Maia got aggressive if I recall correctly.

Jake took less chances I think and had a bit more control.

Look at Shields record! he is a fucking MONSTER!!!

Shields is one of the top five fighters to ever compete at welterweight.

That said, imo his fight with maia was extremely close and could have gone either way depending on whether you favor aggressiveness or control. Maia was constantly going for the finish but this created opportunities for shields which he used to simply get into a dominant position and coast.

Of course it's been a while since I've watched it.

No he's not.

GSP was scared to death to f with Shields on the ground, tells you something

Him and Maia are 1, 2 all time MMA grappling imo

Werdum
Jacare
Nogueira
Aoki

There's many great grappler who can arguably make a claim as the best.

Shields is tops at what he does, but since he isn't well rounded or dynamic, he is a snoozer to watch and not much of a fan favorite.

The guy is an absolutely amazing grappler though.

Shields didn't out grapple Maia. Maia took shields down at will, and took shields back twice. Shields had a nice reversal, and sat in Maia's guard for a moment, then shields won sloppy kickboxing exchanges.

People who say Shields out grappled Maia are really uninformed.

Also, For the past three years or so Maia has been training with Marcelo garcia in new york, and at Edge wrestling in New jersey—the improvements have been obvious.

Palhares disagrees

rousimar.jpg

* even though Paul Harris did gouge the fuck out of Jake's eyes AND crank the submission after the tap....still was impressive win.....wish we could see Palhares vs Maia

I scored it for Maia, saying I thought the fight could of gone either way but Shields was a master of judges.

Back