How crucial was Trump's choice of Mike Pence in winning the election?

R

ripskater

With Trump's previous reputation and unsavory words caught on tape, how big was Trump's choice of Mike Pence in getting out the evangelical Christian vote?

Also, Trump isn't known for being a true conservative.

I remember having a conversation with @TheComebackKid about whether Trump made the right pick.

I thought Pence was sort of a boring pick and TCK wasn't excited about the pick either, but would wait and see and give him a chance. I said I didn't know, but I did wonder if this pick would get conservative Christians.

Not only that, another plus we didn't see coming, Pence mopped the floor with Tim Kaine in the Vice Presidential debate.

So Sherdog, what did you think when Pence was chosen? And after the fact, how bigly of a pick was this in helping Trump win the election?

How would Trump have done with other vice presidential picks? Did it matter?

Personally, looking back, I think Trump needed Pence and it was the right pick for Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not crucial to winning. He's just assassination insurance.

He was a far better choice than Tim "Uncle Creepy" Kaine though. That's for sure.

I figured you guy's would love Pence. Isn't he like a hardcore evangelical?

I've heard that many times. And that does make sense.

To be honest, I wouldn't doubt it if Trump had very little to do with choosing him. He seemed to not really even know who he was at the time.

I like him. He's not charismatic or an exciting pick. That was my original opinion. But I like his conservatism.

Who would you have picked?

I guess in the long run Pence was a great pick for VP since he's so hardcore that he'd probably be worse as prez as far as liberals are concerned.

Who would you have picked?

I guess in the long run Pence was a great pick for VP since he's so hardcore that he'd probably be worse as prez as far as liberals are concerned.
I liked Carson. But wasn't sure if it was the right move really.

I liked Carson. But wasn't sure if it was the right move really.

Pence is better probably. I don't like that Pence is an evangelical but I don't think he's as big a crazy person as Ben Carson.

Governor of Indiana - probably helped him since that region swung it to Trump.

Indiana was red anyway but having a midwesterner on the ticket could have given Trump the extr push to grab Penn Wisc and Michigan.

Who do you think the left hates more?

Pence or Carson?

Obviously I can't speak for "the left" but as a liberal I am more afraid of Pence. He's a smart guy who knows how to play the game which scares me since he's an evangelical.

However Carson I view as little more than a kook with no real political ability. He might be brilliant in an operating room but I think he's a dummy who would just blunder up and look like a fool.

Obviously I can't speak for "the left" but as a liberal I am more afraid of Pence. He's a smart guy who knows how to play the game which scares me since he's an evangelical.

However Carson I view as little more than a kook with no real political ability. He might be brilliant in an operating room but I think he's a dummy who would just blunder up and look like a fool.
Ok, I appreciate the response.

Politically I'm sure Carson is much less seasoned.

Who do you think the left hates more?

Pence or Carson?

Pence is like a dark lord of the Sith.

Carson is just incompetent and crazy.

Then again, I am not American and not really leftist (though probably by WR standards I am).

Utterly irrelevant. This was The Trump Show.

I like him and think he was a good pick. I don't agree with all his views but I think the office will bring him more to the center on some things. I think he help in some ways as he handled thins that came at him in a calm manner.

Back