How can you be watching MMA for years and still not understand what a split decision is?

Roca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen several people on here and heard several people in real life either predict a split decision or say after the fact that the fight should have been a split decision. It literally makes no sense. It's really dumb and I'm not even going to explain it to you. If you don't get it you should do some research before ever talking about MMA again. Great thread.

EDIT: I changed my mind, there are valid reasons to predict a split-decision, although in my experience in real life the people making these predictions were not exactly MMA gurus so I don't think they really knew what they were saying.

I stand by the fact that it makes no sense to declare a fight should have been a split decision after the fact, which is actually what prompted the thread.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with predicting a split decision, there is something wrong with saying a fight should have been a split decision after the fight.

I love when people personally score something a split decision.

Nothing wrong with predicting a split decision, there is something wrong with saying a fight should have been a split decision after the fight.

I think it's still a stupid prediction, but you are correct it's not outright ludicrous like saying it after the fight would be.

But even predicting it, why not just say it will be an extremely close fight. If it's that close then it could just as easily be all 3 judges instead of 2-1, you're predicting a coin flip, why bother.

Why would someone predict that two judges would score the fight for one guy and the third judge scores it for the other guy? You might as well just say " idk lol" as your prediction

Don't see a problem with predicting a split decision.
Happens often enough.

I do agree with that's very dumb to say a fight should be a split decision.

Why would someone predict that two judges would score the fight for one guy and the third judge scores it for the other guy? You might as well just say " idk lol" as your prediction

Because you're predicting that the fight will be close and you're predicting that it will be so close that 3 people won't agree on the outcome. And since many fights end in split decisions, why not pick it since it is a possibility for the ending of the fight?

been like that here for years, I always laugh. Everytime a close fight comes down some guy always starts a thread saying it was closer then that, should have been a split, laugh every damn time.

But what if I predict a split decision and the fight does end up being a split decision?

there are lots of close fights. why is it crazy to predict a very close hard to score fight when it happens a fair amount?

Predicting a split decision is just another way of saying the fight will be super close, sufficient that out of three judges, one is likely to see it differently than the others.

The closer a fight is, the more likely it is there will be disagreement among the judges.

umm can you tell the difference from someone predicting not the outcome of the fight but there predicting the outcome of the judges decision.

ive been involved in combat sports since i was 7-8 and i can understand what there tryin to say even if they dont quite understand it themselves.

no reason to call out new people to the sport who dont yet understand all the nuances of what they say.

i bet your a Grammar Nazi also

But what if I predict a split decision and the fight does end up being a split decision?

there are lots of close fights. why is it crazy to predict a very close hard to score fight when it happens a fair amount?

Hmmm... I can actually sort of see the argument for predicting a split decision. If you supported it with some good arguments, especially some stylistic aspects to the fight that may make judging difficult or controversial. Dammit I may have actually changed my opinion on this. Obviously stating it post fact or as an individual judgement is still ridiculous.

You know what really grinds my gears? Reading posts about how dominate a fighter is. Do you fucks need spell check for everything and are totally lost when it can't help you?
Oh and I agree with the OP obviously.

I think it's still a stupid prediction, but you are correct it's not outright ludicrous like saying it after the fight would be.

But even predicting it, why not just say it will be an extremely close fight. If it's that close then it could just as easily be all 3 judges instead of 2-1, you're predicting a coin flip, why bother.
If I think a fight is close enough that the judges will fuck it up, because they fucking do, all the time, then a split decision is a decent prediction.

But yes, there are way to many people on here that claim that X vs Y should have been a split. No, dumbshit. Maybe it should have been 29-28 across the board, or maybe it should have been a draw, but no, it shouldn't have been a split.

Hmmm... I can actually sort of see the argument for predicting a split decision. If you supported it with some good arguments, especially some stylistic aspects to the fight that may make judging difficult or controversial. Dammit I may have actually changed my opinion on this. Obviously stating it post fact or as an individual judgement is still ridiculous.
At least you're willing to reconsider your opinion in light of new evidence. You can't say that about a lot of people here.

Back