How big of mismatch is Anthony Smith vs Alex Pereira?

have a feeling vitor is going to put him out of his misery

Smith is literally the epitome of good at nothing. Don't forget that Smith got battered worse than any human being ever by Glover.

The only thing close was Penn / GSP II.

Anthony Smith could get absolutely murked by Alex and he'd still get on a microphone and say he's not that good. So unlikable and doesn't deserve to win anything ever again.

The other thread is mostly shitting on Smith so I'm curious: How big of a mistmatch is this? I think Smith is out of his prime but even Prime Anthony Smith wouldn't last too long against Alex and holy shit the guy has 11 knock out losses. He is pretty decent on the ground but idk, I don't see him as strong as Jan who was able to get Alex on the ground. Smith doesn't look like the type who'd muscle Alex Pereira.
Is it this a massive mis match or you'd be surprised?

I think Alex beats him, but Smith is better on the ground than Jan.

Erceg's getting his shot because they needed someone to fill in, and Hendo got his title shot because of the history between him and Bisping + a lot of other contenders higher up in the rankings were all injured or weren't coming off wins.

Only way Smith gets a title shot is if everyone in front of him suddenly can't fight for the title. That's basically how he got his title shot against Jones, so who knows, maybe it'll happen again lol.
Fill in? Erceg was not a replacement was he? This fight was announced quite a while ago, I don't remember any other fight being scheduled for Pantoja.

The History between Bisping and Hendo doesn't matter, There were guys like Whittaker, Romero and Souza at that time but Bisping defended against GSP and 46 year old Hendo. It would be like if they gave Duffy a shot at Conor when Conor was champ lol.

Fill in? Erceg was not a replacement was he? This fight was announced quite a while ago, I don't remember any other fight being scheduled for Pantoja.

The History between Bisping and Hendo doesn't matter, There were guys like Whittaker, Romero and Souza at that time but Bisping defended against GSP and 46 year old Hendo. It would be like if they gave Duffy a shot at Conor when Conor was champ lol.

Nah, not short notice as in he was filling in for someone specifically, but basically filling in for the whole division. The plan was pretty clearly to get Kape into a title shot, but he fucked that up. Everyone else has either lost their last or couldn't take the fight for whatever reason, so they threw in Erceg. Think Albazi has Ramadan or whatever.

As for Bisping. It was a shit choice, but I remember going pretty deep into it a while back, and there really was fuck all choices. Romero had popped for a banned substance in Jan 2016, and then Bisping won the belt in June. He eventually got 6 months and was out of that time frame. Still counted as a win for Romero in the end, so that put Souza on a 1 fight skid.

Whittaker still needed 1 more good win before a title shot. His best win around when Bisping got the belt was Hall or Natal, which weren't enough. He went on to beat Brunson and then Souza, who was enough, but he didn't fight Souza until 2017.

Everyone was sorta beating everyone else or injured and nothing really lined up for this magical little period for Bisping lol.

Lionshart is what I would call a Gaping mismatch because once Pereira removes his foot from his ass after knocking him out... He'll be gaping.

Smith is better on the ground but I don't think he has the takedown to implement that game. Smith started out as a high school wrestler but wrestling isn't part of his game anymore. He is forced to stand and he is going to get brutalized.

Have you seen the game T-ball where a ball is set onto a fixed object (tee) and one basically gets to whack it as hard as humanly possible with a bat?

Well Alex is up to bat

As for Bisping. It was a shit choice, but I remember going pretty deep into it a while back, and there really was fuck all choices. Romero had popped for a banned substance in Jan 2016, and then Bisping won the belt in June. He eventually got 6 months and was out of that time frame. Still counted as a win for Romero in the end, so that put Souza on a 1 fight skid.

Whittaker still needed 1 more good win before a title shot. His best win around when Bisping got the belt was Hall or Natal, which weren't enough. He went on to beat Brunson and then Souza, who was enough, but he didn't fight Souza until 2017.

Everyone was sorta beating everyone else or injured and nothing really lined up for this magical little period for Bisping lol.
This is revisionist history. Romero was available a month after Bisping won the title, he was the obvious number one contender. Bisping ducked that fight hard and fought Hendo instead. Then Romero KO'd Weidman and did the iconic "See you soon boi". Then Bisping again ducked that fight to face a returning GSP. We all wanted to see Romero whoop Bisping's ass.

This is revisionist history. Romero was available a month after Bisping won the title, he was the obvious number one contender. Bisping ducked that fight hard and fought Hendo instead. Then Romero KO'd Weidman and did the iconic "See you soon boi". Then Bisping again ducked that fight to face a returning GSP. We all wanted to see Romero whoop Bisping's ass.

Yoel's an iffy case though because I can see where Bisping was coming from. It's not like he was scared of fighting. He was happy to fight anyone else, he just didn't want to fight Romero with all the PED nonsense that happened. He did say at one point that he assumed that Romero was going to be his next opponent, but then in another interview he said he wouldn't fight him even if he did beat Weidman lol.

And yeh, of course we all wanted to see Romero whoop Bisping's ass. Everyone except the UFC did. There's no way they were going to pass up having GSP back and in what was their best chance to get him back with a belt.

Ank dismantled him pretty easy w leg kicks. Whatchoo think?

Unless smith got a lot better and changed a lot of things I don't see how he can win I only see him getting kod and in the first or second round. And it's hard seeing him make it to the second round

Back