How bad is it to change your team?

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have been a blue belt under a school (And lineage) that is very respected. My present job requires me to wake up very early which means I need to be in bed extremely early as well. Timing wise it is not working out for me because at my school, classes tend to start a little later in the evening and go on till late as well. Getting up in the morning is a pain!

Another school in our area has class times that suit me more. They are also very well respected and often put out fighters who compete against our team mates in tournaments. I am debating whether to join them just to keep my BJJ going. It would mean facing my own team in tournaments sometimes if that ever happens.

I am wondering how common (or how taboo) is it to change schools and join a rival academy?

You mean rival as a market rival? Or is there some sort of bad blood between instructors or the such?

Either way, it's your money and your ability to be able to train 100%.. it's 2017 and I'm sure you don't live in a favela, so I'd go if I were in you, I know first hand that training kinda late the night before and waking up VERY early in the morning is an absolute pain in the ass especially after you hit late 20s, and for me it was just a day a week, I can't imagine doing it everyday and not ending up injured in a month or something..

And besides that, I mean.. the more I grow older and stay in the sport, the more I can't understand this "clan" mentality.. if you pay your instructor, and if you are clear with your intentions, you should be free of any "creonte" stigma or deep resentment or whatever.. instructors are professionals who will often move elsewhere if paid more/a better professional opportunity comes out, and certainly without asking their old students for permission.. so why would YOU need to abide a code born for a different era, different persons and different situations?

Is normal and it's ok. Just be a man and go tell the instructor the situation, shake his hand after, and if there is any bad blood it's on him.

I have also heard of instructors ask if the student is willing to open the school at the time is convenient. You are probably not the only person in a 20 mile radius that wishes the school was open at the same time you do

It is a rival business.

It is not a team. It is customers that are paying for a service.

If your current service provider cannot offer the time table that you need, then take your hard earned cash to someone that would offer something more suitable to your needs.

Leave in good terms, make it clear to every one why you are leaving.

Problem solved

It is a rival business.

It is not a team. It is customers that are paying for a service.

If your current service provider cannot offer the time table that you need, then take your hard earned cash to someone that would offer something more suitable to your needs.

Leave in good terms, make it clear to every one why you are leaving.

Problem solved

This is the most logical way that anyone should look at it. Having clanish fanatical loyalty to the point where you have to inconvenience yourself and suffer for the service you are paying a ton of cash for... Makes no sense. Why? Here in southern California, there are multiple high quality JJ clubs in practically every city... If your club expects you to do this, you should find another one anyway.

Very bad.

If you no havey hespect, you no havey TEETH

Make one gym your primary Training. Pop in now and again+open mats etc at the other place to maintain beneficial relationships. In this game Its always good to have friends in a lot of places.

Make one gym your primary Training. Pop in now and again+open mats etc at the other place to maintain beneficial relationships. In this game Its always good to have friends in a lot of places.
This.

These days only some gyms have the whole "marriage" thing going on, most people cross train at multiple places, but decide to rep one camp so its fine.

Esp. when you have to go indy, its good to have a gym to corner you.

It can be good in many situations, such as allowing you to train at more optimal times/days, but also allowing you to experience a variety of different teachers and rolling with new bodies.

I guess but then you have to pay two gyms. And it sounds like it'll just be more convenient at the other place...

Just do what's best for you man.

If you're alone one evening and feel a shivering chill wash over you and a sharp whisper in your ears but can't really make sense of what's happening it's Carlson Gracie calling you a creonte from beyond the grave.

I have been a blue belt under a school (And lineage) that is very respected. My present job requires me to wake up very early which means I need to be in bed extremely early as well. Timing wise it is not working out for me because at my school, classes tend to start a little later in the evening and go on till late as well. Getting up in the morning is a pain!

Another school in our area has class times that suit me more. They are also very well respected and often put out fighters who compete against our team mates in tournaments. I am debating whether to join them just to keep my BJJ going. It would mean facing my own team in tournaments sometimes if that ever happens.

I am wondering how common (or how taboo) is it to change schools and join a rival academy?

That's as good a reason as any. If the instructor/owner is rational there shouldn't be any issues

Oh man... lots of solid logical arguments here. Basically, it’s your money.

Just don’t wait twenty years and then cross the street because one class is 15 minutes earlier. The sooner you make the move the better.

I’m a lifer at my school. Graciefighter is the one and only team that I ever had. 21 years in. No switching schools for me.
It’s cool if you do, though.

Back