Law House passes antisemitism bill that will target free speech and criticism of Israel

Problem is we have overt hate speech and violence being directed at one minority group in the US now. Whatever we're been doing isn't enough, so more protection will be needed.

When college campuses restrict speakers, that's supposedly an assault on free speech. But when the government actually criminalizes speech....

The far right flank of the GOP is right on this. Even if the speech is antisemitic, it's still free speech. Arrest them for trespass, damage to public property, nuisance, etc. But not for the content of their complaints.
There is no nuance needed on the quality of the Bill itself, it's blatantly disgraceful & unconstitutional. The real question to be discussed is how can such a Bill be overwhelmingly passed in such a short order of time when Congress works at a snails pace on every other issue?

There is no nuance needed on the Bill itself, it's blatantly unconstitutional. The real question to be discussed is how can such a Bill be overwhelmingly passed in such a short order of time when Congress works at a snails pace on every other issue?
I deleted my post. I have to read the definition put forth under the law before I comment. My opinion will probably be the same but, imo, it's irresponsible of me to comment before doing more research on the details.

Problem is we have overt hate speech and violence being directed at one minority group in the US now. Whatever we're been doing isn't enough, so more protection will be needed.
1. Violence is already illegal, if anyone is violent then prosecute them
2. Hate speech is protected by 1st A, nobody gets to shred the constitution just to protect a particular group's feelings
3. There is no overt hate speech on college campuses directed at Jews, it is being directed at Israel and Zionists, which are not the same as Jews. Anti-Israel jews have been the backbone of the protest movement.

I deleted my post. I have to read the definition put forth under the law before I comment. My opinion will probably be the same but, imo, it's irresponsible of me to comment before doing more research on the details.
It's actually a very short bill

They're all frauds. There are only a handful of public personas who are genuinely for free speech, either on the left or the right. 90% of the public commentators only support speech that they agree with. The biggest frauds are people like Ben Shapiro, David Rubin, etc. who built their reputation as free speech warriors.

Props to Matt Gaetz for calling bs on this. He is a true warrior for the people.

The far left were the largest block of Representatives who voted against the bill (the squad, Ro Khanna, etc.). Republicans were the ones who wrote the bill and got it passed, although it had bi-partisan support.
I'm aware, but it was leftists who started the talk about banning speech. It was only a matter of time when it would bite their own ass.

They're all frauds. There are only a handful of public personas who are genuinely for free speech, either on the left or the right. 90% of the public commentators only support speech that they agree with. The biggest frauds are people like Ben Shapiro, David Rubin, etc. who built their reputation as free speech warriors.

Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh to their credit say they are opposed to this bill.

The far left were the largest block of Representatives who voted against the bill (the squad, Ro Khanna, etc.). Republicans were the ones who wrote the bill and got it passed, although it had bi-partisan support.
Yeah, that's kind of the point. You can't rail against muh hate speech when it's criticizing the open border or saying there are only 2 genders, then suddenly call it free speech when it's hatred you agree with.

Having quickly read the text seems it just basically extends existing anti discrimination laws to include common jewish ancestry or whatever. I don't see where it outlaws any speech. To me this is basically telling colleges that harassment on campus for being jewish is, by law, to be treated the same as harassment for being black, gay, etc.

I bill like should never have been created. Hate speech is a made up term to further control us. People should be able to say whatever they like even if it hurts someone’s feelings.

The Jewish control the world so things like this are ok with their puppets.

Having quickly read the text seems it just basically extends existing anti discrimination laws to include common jewish ancestry or whatever. I don't see where it outlaws any speech. To me this is basically telling colleges that harassment on campus for being jewish is, by law, to be treated the same as harassment for being black, gay, etc.
This Bill can be used by the Dept of Ed to compel universities and schools to take action against anyone who criticizes Israel essentially. it's not about protecting Jews, it's about protecting Jews and Israel from criticism.

Back