Hook v. Cross

scorcho

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know that this is probably pretty obvious, but what exactly is the difference between a hook and a cross.

I have been wondering for some time and have never really been able to get a clear answer.

Thanks.

A hook is a punch that can be thrown with either the lead hand or the back hand and it hooks accross your body. Cross is a straight punch that comes from your back hand that is the most powerful punch thrown in many cases.

A bit hard to clarify in writing (easier to show) but I'll try this explanation:

Hook = a semi-circular punch powered by pivoting/twisting while your arm is held bent and horizontal to the floor, which propels your fist from left to right (or right to left). Fist impacts opponent on the side (eg ribs or side of face/chin). I assume it gets its name b/c your arm is held bent, like a hook while throwing this punch.

Cross = straight (power) punch using the rear hand, goes straight out and back. Fist impacts the opponent straight on. I think it is called cross b/c it can be thrown over an opponents jab (assuming same stance fighters) so the punch "crosses" over.

A cross can also be used to beat an opponents hook b/c its thrown in a straight line (straight line is the fastest route from point a to b.)

Hope that helps - hopefully someone can post some links to a video explanation which might be better...

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

So, if a cross is a straight off the rear leg, what is the difference between a cross and a right straight (for a fighter in an orthodox stance)?

scorcho said:
Thanks a lot for the clarification.

So, if a cross is a straight off the rear leg, what is the difference between a cross and a right straight (for a fighter in an orthodox stance)?

In my experience, its the exact same punch under different names.

Technically, it might be more correct to call it a cross when used as a counter-punch and a straight when thrown on its own initiative, but in practical terms where I have trained, its just two different names for the same punch.

Further, for actual training its just a "#2", since the core punches are numbered 1 - 6 (straights, hooks, uppercuts) so the trainer can just call out rapid fire sequences on the focus mitts (e.g. 1-2-5-step-2) during training.

Alright. I'm all clear now. Thanks a lot.

is it possible for a punch to be both a hook and a cross? i mean when you fight there are many possible things u can do but can a punch be both a hook and a cross?

supmaynnn said:
is it possible for a punch to be both a hook and a cross? i mean when you fight there are many possible things u can do but can a punch be both a hook and a cross?

Sometimes a chopping straight with the arm bent will be similar enough to a hook that I would call it a hybrid between the two. In fact what a lot of people call their rear hook is generally more of a straight with some rotation added, since you can't throw a true hook unless your hand is in the lead or squared up.

supmaynnn said:

A punch is a punch when you get this technical but yes, you can hook over a jab and it would"cross" the jab. Also when it doesn't cross the other guy's jab it's called a "straight" or a rear straight, in case you didn't know.

Back