Home gym setup questions for standup

akatsukix

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Currently bidding on a home, and plan on converting an extra room into a dedicated gym.

1. How much floor space should I allot around a heavy bag so not to feel bunched up? I saw the Balazs wall hanger puts it out 42 inches (and wow is it crazy pricey). I haven't decided to go with a muay thai banana bag or swinging heavy bag yet and want options for either.

2. Is there a way to mount a DE bag on a pulley sytem to make it easy to adjust up and down? Want my kids to be able to pull the bag down to their height easily and maybe raise it up and maybe hook on a slip bag once in a while.

3. Flooring. For the weight area there seems to be stall mats (not going to use since this is indoors and the rubber smell would be too much), Plae and Regupol Aktiv. What would be a good padding solution for around the bags for bare feet?

why not the garage or backyard? I just built a home gym in my backyard

No backyard - because I will probably also be putting in a power rack, etc, and don't want to deal with putting bars away, etc, to avoid rust.

Garage is probably going to end up being used for laundry and other stuff.

IMO a bedroom is too "soft" for hard striking training, bag work, pad work, sparring, etc.

I bought a shitload of wood and built a 12 x 20 "shed" for my outdoor gym.

to answer your questions:

1) place the bag where you want, move around, see if its enough room. You may be forced to work with the room you have.

2) You can make a double end bag out of some elasticated string and a tennis ball, this is a cheap and effective tool, and something the kids can play with. You can put multiple tennis balls on it, so you have one at your level, and another for your kids. I dont see any other way of doing what you wanted because when you change the height of your double end bag, the length of both the top and bottom cords needs to be adjusted. so if you made a pulley system for the top, you would also need it for the bottom.

3) I am not sure what your asking? mats for your feet around the bags? what bags? If you mean matts for the floor area of the punching bag, puzzle mats seem to work best. For the weights, if you dont want stall mats, puzzle mat would probably be your next best thing I would guess.

heres my outdoor setup if your interested.

Yeah, I definitely can't build a shed - the HOA is pretty restrictive.

The room we are planning on using is a ground floor room, so hopefully is pretty solid. It is pretty sizeable room so the plan is:

1. Put in revulcanized flooring throughout.
2. Rogue R3 or similar power rack, bars and bumpers, maybe an O lift platform.
3. Set of dumbbells and a kettlebell or two
4. Spinning bike and rower (already have these)
5. I am thinking about using an I-Beam trolley to hang bags from so I can push them out of the way when I want more space

I am trying to figure out what flooring to put under the "bag" area of the gym since the best kind of floor for lifting is pretty hard and usually too textured for sliding around on. Where do professional martial arts gyms get their flooring? I watched a video of how they do Gracie flooring, but that would probably be too soft for stand-up.

Yeah, I definitely can't build a shed - the HOA is pretty restrictive.

The room we are planning on using is a ground floor room, so hopefully is pretty solid. It is pretty sizeable room so the plan is:

1. Put in revulcanized flooring throughout.
2. Rogue R3 or similar power rack, bars and bumpers, maybe an O lift platform.
3. Set of dumbbells and a kettlebell or two
4. Spinning bike and rower (already have these)
5. I am thinking about using an I-Beam trolley to hang bags from so I can push them out of the way when I want more space

I am trying to figure out what flooring to put under the "bag" area of the gym since the best kind of floor for lifting is pretty hard and usually too textured for sliding around on. Where do professional martial arts gyms get their flooring? I watched a video of how they do Gracie flooring, but that would probably be too soft for stand-up.

for a standard weight gym i have no idea. i think most mma gyms probably just put mats right over the cement, i would think rubber stall mats would be your best bet. i think that rubber smell will eventually fade?

i used half of my garage for my home gym way back. i set it up with rubber mat for the half of it but an allowance for the treadmill. what i had was a punching bag and pull up bar. didn't have any weights except for the kettle bell, med ball and some dumb bell. also had a perfect push up, bosu ball, yoga ball or whatever fuck they call it. i have some resistance band too which i use at times. oh and a yoga mat.

it was really cool for a month and i was really happy. but then i just miss seeing women w/ yoga pants sweating it out and hearing them grunt when they workout. it just adds some extra push for me when i work out. i guess women just boosts my testosterone.

Back