Hockey fighting.

fighting is being systematically eliminated from the sport.
it's down 78% from previous years.
more about players hitting their head on the ice as they go down, TBI/concussions etc.
lawsuits against the league and big money payouts.

good bye hockey fights.
Yep, I used to love hockey in the 90s when there was a shit ton of fighting and 100 point scorers were plenty. The game has changed a lot and it's literally a four line deep game now. That's why teams have weeded out rostering one or too enforcers now.

Not saying the game is any worse for the changes, it's just not the game I grew up loving so I've gotten out of touch with it over the past 15 years or so, which is saying a lot considering how good the Hawks are now.

As an aside, I just realized like two weeks ago Burns was a defenseman. Interesting seeing him and Eric Karlsson at the top of the leading scorers list. I mean, we aren't talking huge point totals like Coffey and Housley days.. but still interesting.

Never seen this before. Refs really let it run its course...
I remember watching that on ESPN the night it happened. Good times.

Dumb question, but has a hockey player every tried to take his opponent down onto the ice. Why try to keep it standing?

Dumb question, but has a hockey player every tried to take his opponent down onto the ice. Why try to keep it standing?

Well there's unwritten rules/a code about the fighting, once it goes to the ground the fight its over as far as I know?

nice sentiment by Probert's widow spreading his ashes in the penalty box at The Joe after their last game there.
very touching.

Last edited:
Yep, I used to love hockey in the 90s when there was a shit ton of fighting and 100 point scorers were plenty. The game has changed a lot and it's literally a four line deep game now. That's why teams have weeded out rostering one or too enforcers now.

Not saying the game is any worse for the changes, it's just not the game I grew up loving so I've gotten out of touch with it over the past 15 years or so, which is saying a lot considering how good the Hawks are now.

As an aside, I just realized like two weeks ago Burns was a defenseman. Interesting seeing him and Eric Karlsson at the top of the leading scorers list. I mean, we aren't talking huge point totals like Coffey and Housley days.. but still interesting.
The other fucked up thing they did to try and get rif of the fighting "scourge" was to drop rrosters to 23, esentially doing away with the enforcer spot. Fuck u nhl comissioners. I never watch anymore unless the sharks are in the playoffs.

No but one has tried to hug him to death. See most donald brashear fights. Fucking guy was so bad his nickname was huggy bear

Semenko and Mcsorley are partially responsible for Gretzky's performance as no one f'd with Gretzky. They'd get killed.

Without enforcers the most talented smaller and fast players would get double-teamed and bullied.

When you consider that every single player is carrying a weapon in his hand, I guess fighting has always been considered a safer release valve for some of that aggression.

Indeed. Ted Green vs. Wayne Maki "stick fighting," anyone? Ted Green had 3 brain surgeries and a plate put in his head.

131114175134-wayne-maki-ted-green-single-image-cut.jpg

The fights in hockey nowadays are more or less just pushing and shoving compared to the all out slugfests of past.

Back