Hip Labrum Tear

Any news on how painful contrast injected into your hip capsule is?

It's not much fun, but it only hurts for a few seconds. You'll be fine unless you have a phobia of needles.

I have suspected tear in my right hip. Should not be long till I get it scanned. Any news on how painful contrast injected into your hip capsule is?

I didn't enjoy this shit. Made my whole leg feel like it was going to explode for the time the stuff was goin in lol passes once they take the needle out though!

Nah no needle phobia. Super annoying injury.

Yup it's official the surgeon recommend that I have labral tear repair with cam impingement removal. It's a scope, so it's minimally invasive. 3-4 months rehab. The doc claims that I should be back to 100% in 6 months or so. I don't have a date set yet for surgery. Kinda sucks because I only have 6 months left at this gym before I PCS. Is there anyone here familiar with this procedure?

Yup it's official the surgeon recommend that I have labral tear repair with cam impingement removal. It's a scope, so it's minimally invasive. 3-4 months rehab. The doc claims that I should be back to 100% in 6 months or so. I don't have a date set yet for surgery. Kinda sucks because I only have 6 months left at this gym before I PCS. Is there anyone here familiar with this procedure?

This is exactly the procedure I had done. I'm now 12 weeks post-op. I have continual mild discomfort and a slight limp doing day-to-day tasks (stuff around the house, grocery shopping, etc.). I wouldn't want to try doing anything that qualifies as "athletic" with my lower body at this stage, outside of therapy. Doc and therapist both say that I could consider moderated cycling or swimming at 4-5 months post-op. They think I could start sports again (carefully) at 6-9 months but the expectation is that I might not be 100% until as long as 18 months.

Your mileage may vary depending on how bad your situation is. My labrum was almost completely detached and I had a spot of total degradation in the acetabular cartilage. If yours wasn't as serious you might bounce back faster.

This is exactly the procedure I had done. I'm now 12 weeks post-op. I have continual mild discomfort and a slight limp doing day-to-day tasks (stuff around the house, grocery shopping, etc.). I wouldn't want to try doing anything that qualifies as "athletic" with my lower body at this stage, outside of therapy. Doc and therapist both say that I could consider moderated cycling or swimming at 4-5 months post-op. They think I could start sports again (carefully) at 6-9 months but the expectation is that I might not be 100% until as long as 18 months.

Your mileage may vary depending on how bad your situation is. My labrum was almost completely detached and I had a spot of total degradation in the acetabular cartilage. If yours wasn't as serious you might bounce back faster.

Thanks for the info, bruh! The doc performing my surgery is one of the front runners and best in the field of hip arthroscopy. He's worked on STL Cardinals and other high profile athletes. So, I am confident that I will be okay surgery wise. My concern is how much damage is done. I have had mild lingering hip pain for a while like 1 year plus. I thought it was just tight hips and soreness from long runs and working out. Funny thing is that I don't remember bjj aggravating it at all. I hope I can get back within a year.

how do you injure your hip labrum? How have you guys injured it during bjj training? ALso, how do you prevent these types of injuries from happening?

The hip is the same as any other joint. Any trauma (jumping, falling, pivoting, twisting, cutting, etc.) has the potential to damage the labrum. It's not an uncommon injury in hockey, football, or soccer players, or dancers.

Beyond accidents, it seems that several of us here on the forum have the misfortune to have FemoroAcetabular Impingement (FAI), which is a developmental bone disorder where your femur and/or hip socket are the wrong shape for each other. You basically end up with bad mechanics in certain motions that reduce the joint clearance and cause labrum damage and arthritis. It's not necessarily the fault of BJJ - any activity that moves the hip joint could damage it. At this point we don't really know much about FAI other than it has to do with bone growth during late childhood/puberty. It's not particularly genetic or environmental that anyone has proven yet. Lots of people have FAI, but some of them go their whole lives without developing symptoms. It's really hard to tell in advance if FAI is going to cause someone problems until their hips start to fall apart in their 30's. Sucks for us!

how do you injure your hip labrum? How have you guys injured it during bjj training? ALso, how do you prevent these types of injuries from happening?

Well man I wish I knew. All I can tell is that I have been an athlete my whole life (soccer, football and track) my competitive career culminated in college football at the D1 level. I am now in the Army, and earlier in my career I was a paratroop with 30 Jumps. Not to mention 10 years of long runs and road marches. So I'd say that I probably fucked it up from wear and tear over the years. BJJ more than likely had little, if anything, to do with my injury. I am 32 btw

Well man I wish I knew. All I can tell is that I have been an athlete my whole life (soccer, football and track) my competitive career culminated in college football at the D1 level. I am now in the Army, and earlier in my career I was a paratroop with 30 Jumps. Not to mention 10 years of long runs and road marches. So I'd say that I probably fucked it up from wear and tear over the years. BJJ more than likely had little, if anything, to do with my injury. I am 32 btw

I think in wrestling sprawling to defend shots, and some of the flexibility to do the same hurts. In BJJ defending guard passes, getting our legs stretched out with weight on them hurts too.

To the top... I am getting cut on February 3...according to my pt scheduling I could, theoretically, be back at sport specific drilling in 10-12 weeks. However, I am not gonna rush, I need this procedure to last at least another 20-30 years lol

I was back in doing technique after about 2 months. I still had to be very careful for another month + though as it was still suspect to certain movements bringing on pain. I remember doing a seminar about 3 months after the op and I was still struggling a bit, so about 4-5 months before I was back to normal.

the word "labrum" make me feel sick for some reason

and that is my only contribution I will make to this thread... good day

I was back in doing technique after about 2 months. I still had to be very careful for another month + though as it was still suspect to certain movements bringing on pain. I remember doing a seminar about 3 months after the op and I was still struggling a bit, so about 4-5 months before I was back to normal.

Bam!!! That's the best news I've heard since this shitfest began!!! I still may take an extended vacation (or decrease the level of intensity) from bjj and focus movement, mobility and flexibility. The thread on movement has given me something to consider.

On the other side of the spectrum, I'm 14 weeks out and only just now feel like I can walk without a limp. I wouldn't want to start training again any time soon.

How much does the post-surgery rehab suck for this one?

The rehab is fine. The exercises are all standard and, at least in my case, I was instructed to stop immediately if I felt pain. The obnoxious part is how long the fundamental healing takes.

Back again. I had surgery on 3 February 15. From what the doctor told my wife, it essentially looked like a bomb exploded in my hip. So a THR is in my future, sooner rather than later. I have pretty bad OA in the joint. I knew I had OA but I never felt what seemed to be severe pain because of it. So there is no telling how long my shit has been getting mangled.

Good news is that once PT is done, I should enjoy BJJ again. It will be a journey for me. I plan on easing back on bjj for a year or so post recovery and focusing on yoga and improving movement patterns. Once movement is cleaned up a bit I will shift more time to BJJ.

Back again. I had surgery on 3 February 15. From what the doctor told my wife, it essentially looked like a bomb exploded in my hip. So a THR is in my future, sooner rather than later. I have pretty bad OA in the joint. I knew I had OA but I never felt what seemed to be severe pain because of it. So there is no telling how long my shit has been getting mangled.

Good news is that once PT is done, I should enjoy BJJ again. It will be a journey for me. I plan on easing back on bjj for a year or so post recovery and focusing on yoga and improving movement patterns. Once movement is cleaned up a bit I will shift more time to BJJ.

What is THR?

Back