Hindus vs. regular pushups

sambo fighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think would be better for a grappler, hindu pushups or regular ones? Why do people like matt furey claim that they are so much better? Thanks.

These kinds of threads frustrate me. The best cliche` I can think for this attitude is 'putting all your eggs in one basket'.

DO BOTH. Do a set of normal pushups, a set of hindu, a set of knuckle down, a set of eagles (very wide hand placement), a set of diamond, do em all, don't be like oh this one is the best so this is all I'm going to do! ............... don't be closed minded - BE DIVERSE.

Hindu's work more of your body and stretches your lower back. I like Hindu's or even better, Divebomber's, more than regular pushups. IMO they are better for grappling.

In wrestling we called them "girlfriends" because of the pelvic thrust :p

sambo fighter said:
What do you guys think would be better for a grappler, hindu pushups or regular ones? Why do people like matt furey claim that they are so much better? Thanks.

Hindu's aren't inherently better that normal pushups or vise versa. They're just different. Do both. If regular are too easy, do hindu's or elevate your feet.

I used to do the whole "Matt Furey Royal Court" thing before Matt Furey brought it up. My Dad used to make me do those excersizes since I was a kid except for the Hindu pushups. My thing with the Hindu pushups is that it doesn't seem to focus enough on chest strength and tries too hard to be a flexibility builder and compound excersize.

Like Bacon said above, you can do them both. Try doing a normal pushup at the end of the hindu motion. I think that putting your feet up on the couch or chair doesn't necessarily make the excersize harder but it focuses on your upper pecs like when doing incline benches.

Personally, I like setting up four chairs one for each hand and foot and do pushups like that trying to go as low as possible. And to increase intensity, you can lift one leg off the ground and put more weight on the opposite arm.

Back