High Noon in Hong Kong - What if?

droolingliver

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
A great boxing card was set to take place in Hong Kong on the 23rd October 1994, but got canceled and never rescheduled.

highnooninhongkong_18x26.jpg

The theme was meant to be USA vs UK, with several promoters involved such as Bob Arum and Barry Hearn (Eddie's Dad) who provided Hide and Hale, Mickey Duff and Jarvis Astaire, who were bringing Bruno and Schwer.

Padilla got injured in the build up, so that bout got replaced by Steve Collins vs Lonny Bearley for the former's WBO middleweight belt. That kinda messed up the whole UK vs USA thing, but was just brushed to one side.

So, everything is all set, including this awesome promo video, intersplicing boxing action with warship footage. To really drum home the war theme, the punches are dubbed with explosions.

At the last minute and I mean last minute, the card got pulled due to the money for the fighters' purses not being provided. It turned into a big finger pointing session which you can read about here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Noon_in_Hong_Kong

So, who do you think would have one each match?

Herbie Hide vs Tommy Morrison

Hide had just won the title against Michael Bent (which had one of the funniest street fights in the build up) who in turn had beaten Morrison in one round for it.

Hide was a fast starter and I have him winning by KO2.

Ray Mercer vs Frank Bruno

Both had a recent, common opponent in Jesse Ferguson, with Mercer winning by SD and Bruno by KO1.

Mercer could blow hot and cold, but was in decent form in this period while Big Frank knew he was in last chance saloon territory for a title, having lost not long before in a good showing against Lewis.

I think Bruno would have kept Mercer on the outside with jabs and straight rights, before clinching for dear life each time "Merciless" got near, holding on for a UD, looking absolutely wrecked at the end of the ten rounds.

Rafael Ruelas vs Billy Schwer

This is the only fight that did get rescheduled. I reckon the result three months later would be the same. Ruelas KO8.

Steve Collins vs Lonny Bearley

The Celtic Warrior was hitting his peak during this time and would go on to beat some of the Brit middleweight old guards in Eubank and Benn.

I have Collins UD.

Who do you think would have won?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back