HEMA, Bohurt, etc

They didn’t give me this purple name for nothing!
I’ll also add. If you are in Austin. The Dallas Warlords are one of the best teams in the country. Top 3.
The San Jacinto Knights in Houston are also really good. They just placed in nationals and are going to be part of the 10 vs 10 team at the World Championships next May.

Looks like I’m in the right place with all you nerds.

I’ve never done any of this work but I’m very interested in learning. What’s some good resources to start?

You wanna learn fencing?

I guess there is:

Gotta see if you like and gel with the perticular crowd. UT Austin prolly has a club

My Opinion, but I'd look, if possible for someone who tried to adhere to the form used with real swords, rather than the sporty types who whip and fly caste to get points like somebody playing ping pong....

I wanted to use the fencing foundation for knife fighting with goons like John Perretti, (who's in his 60s now and a cop of all things..)

John-Perretti.jpg

Good luck, hope you find something fun. Epee is the way to go..... (stab people in the face)

Last edited:
You wanna learn fencing?

I guess there is:

Gotta see if you like and gel with the perticular crowd. UT Austin prolly has a club

My Opinion, but I'd look, if possible for someone who tried to adhere to the form used with real swords, rather than the sporty types who whip and fly caste to get points like somebody playing ping pong....

I wanted to use the fencing foundation for knife fighting with goons like John Perretti, (who's in his 60s now and a cop of all things..)

View attachment 1016832

Good luck, hope you find something fun. Epee is the way to go..... (stab people in the face)
I was attracted to this crew just due to the variety of weaponry they have.

Arena

Just wanted to share because I woke up excited this morning.

Last night in sparring I made two advancements in my ability. First I stepped into a shorter opponents rapid attacks, he comes in like Tyson, into a high bind, he was right foot forward, and I outside foot swept it, landed in full mount and stabbed him in the neck.

I also managed to half sword and grab the opponents blade in another round.

Finally I employed spamming an oberhau or overhand attack using it like the prison yard rush knife attack. As the taller and stronger fighter it seems pretty much indefensible using a standard parry. Only movement in or out can resist it. I plan to use it on a much more advanced fighter ASAP for maximum hilarity.

So I’m in a weird position right now.
I’m registered for national qualifiers for pro fights at the Arnold Classics. If I were to win, I would be competing for the US team at the IMCF world championships in Mexico City in May. The issue is, I don’t feel ready.

I have less than a month to prepare for 2 fights, both against guys with way more experience than me. I’ve seen both fight. I feel like I can beat one of them, the other, I don’t. At least not in the next month.

I shouldn’t get hurt other than being a little beat up, which will probably happen win or lose. And it’s not like boxing or even MMA with a loss killing your future.

One coach wants me to do it, the other thinks if I don’t feel ready I should wait. I’m kinda stumped.

So I’m in a weird position right now.
I’m registered for national qualifiers for pro fights at the Arnold Classics. If I were to win, I would be competing for the US team at the IMCF world championships in Mexico City in May. The issue is, I don’t feel ready.

I have less than a month to prepare for 2 fights, both against guys with way more experience than me. I’ve seen both fight. I feel like I can beat one of them, the other, I don’t. At least not in the next month.

I shouldn’t get hurt other than being a little beat up, which will probably happen win or lose. And it’s not like boxing or even MMA with a loss killing your future.

One coach wants me to do it, the other thinks if I don’t feel ready I should wait. I’m kinda stumped.
If you get to have the opportunity again in the future should you compete and lose, then you should really do it if you think it'll be fun. Experience is king and you'll get experience.

If you get to have the opportunity again in the future should you compete and lose, then you should really do it if you think it'll be fun. Experience is king and you'll get experience.
Nationals again is in Texas in December. Pro fights may not be held there though, last year Nationals were held in Kansas City, but they divided the pro fights to the Arnold’s. I’m hoping that’s what they do again, because I’m also competing with my team at nations in December.

Then there’s the whole driving 8 hours to essentially get my ass kicked. I should be more positive, but even if I win it’s going to be a dogfight. (Which I really don’t mind) but I honestly do wish I had about one more month to prepare.

Well I registered and paid for the Arnold’s. I’m going to prepare for it. But I have another set of exhibition fights at a festival on the 24th this month and I’ll use that to gauge where I’m at. If I’m not feeling it, I’ll pull out. If I feel at least like I am moving and fighting well, I’ll fight.

Well I registered and paid for the Arnold’s. I’m going to prepare for it. But I have another set of exhibition fights at a festival on the 24th this month and I’ll use that to gauge where I’m at. If I’m not feeling it, I’ll pull out. If I feel at least like I am moving and fighting well, I’ll fight.
Prison yard rush oberhau ftw!

You might be crippled in 6 months and unable to do it ever again. It'll be great experience either way!

Conan himself shows up and knights the Longsword tournament winner. Funny in round two when he is watching they go balls out and just scrap strategy and defense altogether hehe. Both are awesome guys and the guy who wins and gets knighted was the guy who whooped my ass in Longsword in October.

I didn’t make it there sadly. I was scheduled to fight both the guys in the first fight back to back in the LHW pro tourney. I don’t feel too bad as they both would have beat me. My cardio is just not up to their level yet.

Conan himself shows up and knights the Longsword tournament winner. Funny in round two when he is watching they go balls out and just scrap strategy and defense altogether hehe. Both are awesome guys and the guy who wins and gets knighted was the guy who whooped my ass in Longsword in October.

I didn’t make it there sadly. I was scheduled to fight both the guys in the first fight back to back in the LHW pro tourney. I don’t feel too bad as they both would have beat me. My cardio is just not up to their level yet.

Wow, fuck being the ref in there, that's ridiculous. He should be in harness himself. Does seem that cardio is the main thing. I can't imagine just standing and wailing on the other. Gotta go judo. Sad how immobile Arnie is now!

Wow, fuck being the ref in there, that's ridiculous. He should be in harness himself. Does seem that cardio is the main thing. I can't imagine just standing and wailing on the other. Gotta go judo. Sad how immobile Arnie is now!
I know some refs at least wear a helmet. If I ever ref I’m going to have my own ref kettle helm
6FA7467B-7BA6-4086-BEAE-36D22A8154CB.jpeg
and wear a gambeson.

The refs in Nashville AMMA wear this 427946616_10220488458916376_6810027164639861755_n.jpg

Last edited:
Cardio is one of the main things. It's as important as any combat sport. But since finishing quick in this sport is rare, you need the cardio to go the distance. So if you are close in skill, cardio often can be the deciding factor. Knockouts are very rare. Tkos and guys submitting/taking a knee to yield are a lot more common, but still happen less than going to the scorecards.
But, strength, speed, technique both in striking and grappling are all vital. It's hard to make someone gas if you are missing them and they are hitting you a lot. And Judo/Sambo/wrestling is insanely valuable.

Got a 2nd round knockout win this past weekend. Finished with 3 right hooks with my buckler, a knee the face (of the helmet) and some gnp. It was either the 3rd hook or the knee that spilt his eyebrow.
CCCA8459-72B6-42E4-B80E-C28185278E78.jpeg72BD4533-AB6D-4204-97BE-1DA8A54BA66D.jpegC11BF539-CE7C-4C00-B80F-FB1CC7F47CEC.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back