• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Help me trick out a Ruger Precision Rifle

rprm_series.jpg

Any rail system that fits and had a 12 o'clock rail.

Did Ruger change the original rail? I remember them having a top rail.

That's the updated model that just came out recently, here's the original.

RPR-R-9Ts2Yamz73j83.jpg

And before I ask this next question, let me give a little background info to explain my ignorance.

I grew up shooting BB guns and shotguns, very few rifles. In the Army I shot old M16s with flimsey handguards. The only rifle I've owned is an AR15 with a bull barrel. Like this -

2346186_01_psa_jse_24_bull_barrel_ar_15_640.jpg

So, pardon my ignorance, but are modern handguards on so tight that iron sights can be attached and be reliably accurate?

That's the updated model that just came out recently, here's the original.

RPR-R-9Ts2Yamz73j83.jpg

And before I ask this next question, let me give a little background info to explain my ignorance.

I grew up shooting BB guns and shotguns, very few rifles. In the Army I shot old M16s with flimsey handguards. The only rifle I've owned is an AR15 with a bull barrel. Like this -

2346186_01_psa_jse_24_bull_barrel_ar_15_640.jpg

So, pardon my ignorance, but are modern handguards on so tight that iron sights can be attached and be reliably accurate?

Yes. Depends on the brand and how it mounts but high quality handguards are rock solid. I'm not sure how the RPR is or how it mounts.

@Chesten_Hesten I think said earlier that the stock one is a bit flimsy. So maybe look on a Ruger forums or whatever for a quality handguard.

I'm going to echo others in saying I don't get the need for Iron's on something like an RPR. Now, if it's a dangerous game rifle like this?
newmk5_dgr.jpg

I 100% understand the reasoning but the RPR has always seemed like a bench/competition toy and as such you would always be on the optic.

I'm going to echo others in saying I don't get the need for Iron's on something like an RPR. Now, if it's a dangerous game rifle like this?
newmk5_dgr.jpg

I 100% understand the reasoning but the RPR has always seemed like a bench/competition toy and as such you would always be on the optic.

Agreed, you need irons for dangerous game rifles because you might be making close up shots that you can't pick up quick enough with h the magnification of the scope.

Imagine a bear running at you through thick trees, and you are trying to look through a scope for a shot when the thing is like 20-40m away....

Nice weatherby too by the way!!!

Agreed, you need irons for dangerous game rifles because you might be making close up shots that you can't pick up quick enough with h the magnification of the scope.

Imagine a bear running at you through thick trees, and you are trying to look through a scope for a shot when the thing is like 20-40m away....

Nice weatherby too by the way!!!
Not mine but I agree it's pretty as fuck.

My dad's two Winchester model 70s are the "Alaska" versions and have the back ups on them.

The Ruger Precision Rifle isn't a bolt action AR, it's a bolt action target rifle with AR-like aesthetics and ergonomics. If you want to mount iron sights in case you need to do some up-close-and-personal social work, you brought the wrong gun to the fight in the first place.

Based on the opinions posted and further research, I'm now leaning more toward the M1A Loaded Series.

I might be interested in the RPR later in the year, but for what I'm looking for in a rifle, the M1A is more practical for both target shooting and in SHTF senarios.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not an impulse consumer with high-priced purchases, I change my mind constantly based upon new information.

And I, self-admittedly, kinda fell into what Nutfancy describes as the 'Sniper Fantasy.' But not from watching movies or playing videogames, but from experience. I was a hell of a shot on the M16 ranges back in my days in the service, and the shots I did miss I knew were from the ancient hardware that was issued. I know I'd be an excellent long-range shooter due to my fundamentals, and I became overexcited with discovering the RPR and it's pricepoint.

The M1A Loaded Series can still serve the purpose of long-range, mostly, but I'd be focusing on becoming the best shot I can with standard .308 Remmington ammunition.

Based on the opinions posted and further research, I'm now leaning more toward the M1A Loaded Series.

I might be interested in the RPR later in the year, but for what I'm looking for in a rifle, the M1A is more practical for both target shooting and in SHTF senarios.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not an impulse consumer with high-priced purchases, I change my mind constantly based upon new information.

And I, self-admittedly, kinda fell into what Nutfancy describes as the 'Sniper Fantasy.' But not from watching movies or playing videogames, but from experience. I was a hell of a shot on the M16 ranges back in my days in the service, and the shots I did miss I knew were from the ancient hardware that was issued. I know I'd be an excellent long-range shooter due to my fundamentals, and I became overexcited with discovering the RPR and it's pricepoint.

The M1A Loaded Series can still serve the purpose of long-range, mostly, but I'd be focusing on becoming the best shot I can with standard .308 Remmington ammunition.
A couple of years ago, I bought a Savage Model 10 TR, .308, even posted about it in the v3 of this thread:

image.png
It was a "graduation present" to myself, of sorts. I just moved to a different province and just started my new job. At the time, it was an LE exclusive item, fuck if I know why a bolt action, non-restricted firearm was only offered to LE and not the general public, but I digress. Just thought it would be a cool thing to have, it was a good price and since I moved out to the Prairies, I thought I'd have more opportunities to use it. I was wrong.

The thing is, while there is a lot of open space to theoretically play around with long range precision shooting, Southern Saskatchewan is primarily privately owned land; lots of ranches and homesteads, lot of free range cattle, you need permission and you need to schedule a timeframe when cows aren't out grazing, ranchers aren't out fencing, or a combine isn't in the field.

The next obstacle I faced was not willing to learn MIL, then after that, I didn't want to get into hand loading. The nail in the coffin was my burgeoning interest in hunting; the rifle was just too damn big and heavy for my tastes, it had something like a 24" bull barrel and while it was no F-class and still manageable on short trips, fuck if I was going to carry it around all day, during hunting season. It just didn't fit in any kind of shooting I really wanted or could do. I realized I didn't have the finances or time to play pretend sniper and I was left with a gun I didn't want to bushwhack with. So I sold it, bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout and have been pretty happy with it so far. If I could do it all over again, rather than the Scout, I'd probably get the Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308.

Watch this guy's playlist:

1000 yard rifle for $500.

Pretty informative and pretty awesome way he details why he chose what he chose.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Savage Model 10 TR, .308, even posted about it in the v3 of this thread:

View attachment 98761
It was a "graduation present" to myself, of sorts. I just moved to a different province and just started my new job. At the time, it was an LE exclusive item, fuck if I know why a bolt action, non-restricted firearm was only offered to LE and not the general public, but I digress. Just thought it would be a cool thing to have, it was a good price and since I moved out to the Prairies, I thought I'd have more opportunities to use it. I was wrong.

The thing is, while there is a lot of open space to theoretically play around with long range precision shooting, Southern Saskatchewan is primarily privately owned land; lots of ranches and homesteads, lot of free range cattle, you need permission and you need to schedule a timeframe when cows aren't out grazing, ranchers aren't out fencing, or a combine isn't in the field.

The next obstacle I faced was not willing to learn MIL, then after that, I didn't want to get into hand loading. The nail in the coffin was my burgeoning interest in hunting; the rifle was just too damn big and heavy for my tastes, it had something like a 24" bull barrel and while it was no F-class and still manageable on short trips, fuck if I was going to carry it around all day, during hunting season. It just didn't fit in any kind of shooting I really wanted or could do. I realized I didn't have the finances or time to play pretend sniper and I was left with a gun I didn't want to bushwhack with. So I sold it, bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout and have been pretty happy with it so far. If I could do it all over again, rather than the Scout, I'd probably get the Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308.

That's been similar to my experience. I have a few "precision rifles" that just collect dust unless my dad takes them out to shoot cans at a few hundred yards. I started with a Remington 700 sps tactical and ended up sort of tricking it out into a solid "budget" precision build, I got pretty into trying to shoot stuff farther and farther away at the time and ended up buying a gap m40 and setting it up really nice. I used them for a few months then moved overseas.

Now whenever I'm back I just want to shoot revolvers or hunt and havnt touched the precision rifles that are worth like 7-8k between the 2. My dad plinks with them on his property but isn't doing he couldn't do with his 30-30 lol. He just sits out there at his table drinking beer and taking 200-300 yard shots at whatever he puts out there. Hardly a good use for those rifles.

I'd love to get a precision rifle and play sniper but I suspect the way I would do it is by buying something like a Savage Axis or Mossy Patriot and then putting it in one of those Boyd's McMillan looking stocks, pillar job, glass bedding job, and work it over that way.

I gotta admit, I really wish I could shoot a .338 Lapua Magnum at some point.

I'd love to get a precision rifle and play sniper but I suspect the way I would do it is by buying something like a Savage Axis or Mossy Patriot and then putting it in one of those Boyd's McMillan looking stocks, pillar job, glass bedding job, and work it over that way.

I gotta admit, I really wish I could shoot a .338 Lapua Magnum at some point.

That's what I did with my first one, took it out of the hogue stock it came in, dropped it in an hs precision, bedded it, rootered out the bottom to accept badger bottom metal/magazines. Milled off the bolt knob and but a badger oversize knob on it. I got some sort of base, probably badger, rings and a pst on it. It cost a lot less than you'd think since the base rifle was like 600 dollars and I already had the scope around. A buddy of mine gave me the stock and helped me bet it. I probably only really spent 1k at the time.

Actually that's not even true, I got the rifle in a trade for a glock 36 so really it was just stuff from badger I spent $$$ on.

I loaned it to a guy who shot it out to 1000yds and he was pretty impressed for a barrel, action and trigger that were straight off the rack.

I ended up with a gap m40 and an expensive scope, I'd like to sell it but my dad loves it so much since it's similar to ones he saw in Vietnam, I feel like I can't sell it I should just let him keep it. When I saw how much he liked it, I wished I'd bought the m24 rather than the m40 because he was in the army and they use the m24.....m40 is usmc.

M1A scout
AA9120-1.jpg

+
Vltor CASV
4814430_01_vltor_casv_14_m14_rail_system__640.jpg

+
Burris XTR II 1.5-8x28 combo
811EkWsALXL._SL1500_.jpg

Or offset irons instead of fastfire.

Goddamnit dude, don't put offset irons on this gun. It's pointless.

Goddamnit dude, don't put offset irons on this gun. It's pointless.
Bro, I don't think he's even buying an RPR anymore:

But if you mean the M1A, which already has BUIS, then yeah, I agree. Get some QD rings/scope mount instead.

Bro, I don't think he's even buying an RPR anymore:

But if you mean the M1A, which already has BUIS, then yeah, I agree. Get some QD rings/scope mount instead.
It makes even less sense on the M1A, imo. Its not a cqb gun. Personally I wouldn't put offset irons on anything, but definitely not on a distance rifle. Maaaaaaybe on a SHTF or 3-gun AR, that's about it - I like purpose-driven weapons, not kitchen sink tacticool. No offense intended.

It makes even less sense on the M1A, imo. Its not a cqb gun. Personally I wouldn't put offset irons on anything, but definitely not on a distance rifle. Maaaaaaybe on a SHTF or 3-gun AR, that's about it - I like purpose-driven weapons, not kitchen sink tacticool. No offense intended.

It is a shtf if I read correctly.

Back