Helio Gracie's Black Belt

But the point is still that he didn't promote himself, but was automatically given a black (or maybe even red to start with) by the governing body of BJJ when they established the belt system. Originally, the belts were there only to demarcate between the students and the instructors. Helio is said to have stopped wearing his red belt at the end of his life, and to have gone back to the original blue.
He was obviously ins .. er, feeb .. er, se .. full of hi .. ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A STATEMENT!

And it was, "DON'T FORGET ABOUT ME/LOOK/LISTEN TO ME"!!

It was a choice of that or setting himself on fire and he went with the one that allowed him to continue basking in adulation of the deluded masses. Also, the least painful.

No. There is zero evidence Maeda considered him special in any way.

There's little evidence that Carlos trained directly with Maeda at all really. It seems more likely that he learned from other Judo guys in Brazil. Some that Maeda had taught and others from a different line.

i disagree, i never used to grapple at all but i watched mma a lot. my brother had been doing bjj for a while and when we grappled i got a flying armbar in the first ten seconds. i can guarantee no one ever taught me it and i had never practiced it before.
Beginner's luck, and it still doesn't make you a black belt.

Your brother is a can too, probably that @PrideJitZoo guy

actually in GJJ, it was white belt, blue belt and then darker blue belt for instructor.

Then they switch to the Judo system later on because they thought it will be good to turn it into a sport instead of just a fighting system.
The irony is nowadays, some of these sport BJJers are like "Helio Gracie, modern day blue belt".
<Hendricks02>

Back