Hayabusa Kanpeki Elite 3.0 10oz Velcro Review

bunjaba88988

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my review of the 10oz, Velcro Kanpeki Elite 3.0 training gloves by Hayabusa. This is my first review so I hope it is informative and can be of aid to anyone considering the purchase of these gloves. These are Hayabusa’s ‘top of the line’ boxing gloves, and are their most expensive gloves as well, with a retail price on the Hayabusa website of $159.99. I have owned these gloves for roughly 10 months, so I am familiar with how they feel and other details regarding the gloves, and I will be presenting my unbiased opinions on these gloves.

Craftsmanship and quality

These gloves are made in China, and while this might sound like a turn-off, they are very high quality gloves. Hayabusa states that these gloves are made using “100% full-grain genuine leather”, and I do not have any doubts about this. When I first got these gloves, the smell of leather was overpowering, and it felt top-notch. The stitching on these gloves, overall, is very well done, but there are flaws in some areas. Despite these flaws, however, the stitching does appear to be durable and in the 10 months I have been using these gloves nothing has ripped or torn, and I have little worry that they will in the future. Out of 10, I score the craftsmanship and quality an 8, but only because there are a couple of minor stitching flaws and because these gloves are made in China; it’s not a bad thing that they are, but if they were made in Mexico, for example, I’m sure improvements will be made, even for issues I haven’t noticed yet.

Wrist support

The Kanpeki Elite incorporate Hayabusa’s patented Dual-X closure system, which is two Velcro straps overlaying each other, but wrapped in opposite directions. Compared to other Velcro gloves I have tried, this system is great. The wrist is firmly secured in the gloves, and because of how snug the Velcro is, my wrist barely moves in the glove. While using these gloves, I have only hurt my wrist once, a minor strain, from punching a bag too hard at an awkward position. If you box like you’re supposed to, you won’t hurt yourself or develop wrist issues using these gloves. For the wrist support, I grade these gloves 10 out of 10.

Padding

These gloves are not punchers gloves. They are like cushions, which if you have hand issues, is a big plus. Around the knuckles there is a lot of soft padding, and I have never gotten knuckle bruises using these gloves. The thumb also has soft padding, and like you would expect, is connected to the rest of the glove. The face of the glove and the back of the glove (around the wrist) has very thick and sturdy padding, however, and in my opinion, I think that they should have made the knuckle area also a bit sturdier. Despite these gloves being 10oz, I have sparred with them before as they are soft and you will not hurt your sparring partner. I am giving the padding an 8 out of 10, and only because of how soft the knuckle area is. If they did make it a bit tougher, I would definitely grade the padding higher.

Hand and thumb compartment

I find that even with hand wraps, my hands do not feel too compressed or tight inside the gloves, which to me is a good thing, as I have tried 16oz and 14oz gloves with wraps on before and struggled to fit my hands in. The hand compartment is snug and comfortable, but you won’t feel like you are losing blood circulation with these gloves on. The lining inside the glove is another Hayabusa innovation, AG fabric. I couldn’t find much information about this fabric on the Hayabusa website, but to describe it, it is comfortable and soft and does not feel rigid. Now, despite the hand compartment not having any problems, there is a big issue about these gloves; the thumb compartment. Thankfully, this issue does not affect me as I have small hands, but to others, it can be a big problem. The thumb is very short. Despite my small hands, my thumbs still reach the back of the thumb compartment. If my hands were larger, I would not have purchased these gloves as it would be too uncomfortable on the thumb. It is for this reason that I grade this area a 7 out of 10. These gloves would just not work with somebody who has bigger hands.

Impact absorption

Probably the best thing about this glove is the shock absorption. Hayabusa have their own shock-absorption technology in the glove, called Deltra-EG, and while not much information is given about this technology I can tell you this; whatever it is, it’s great. You can punch for hours on end and your hands won’t go sore, and at the same time you feel that satisfying ‘pop’ when you let out a ripper. For impact absorption, this glove scores a perfect 10.

Durability

These gloves will last you a lifetime, or so they feel. I have no doubts that three years from now, these gloves will still be perfectly usable. Even though these gloves are nearly a year old, they still look and feel brand new. Another perfect 10.

Aesthetics

To me, personally, these gloves are very pleasing to the eyes, and the first thing that caught my attention about these gloves were the looks. Despite my opinion, however, I have had people tell me that they look like shit. That is probably because these gloves only come in brown, and this brown does somewhat resemble the color of shit. The gloves have a vintage, sleek, cool look, and despite other Hayabusa gloves being overdone with logos and other stuff on them, Hayabusa decided to keep the design of these minimalistic, which I think works very well. Overall, I give the design an 8 out of 10, as while I and some other people I’ve spoken to think these gloves are awesome, I have heard countless times that these gloves also look like human excrement.

Other

These gloves are made for the bags, but can also be used for sparring due to their softness, and if anything, I would prefer to use these for sparring than bag work. On the pads, these are great. They also feel very light, and whatever other technologies Hayabusa have in these gloves do a great job absorbing all the sweat and bacteria. These gloves do not stink up at all. On the face, there are also a lot of air holes, however with hand wraps on these do not seem to have any effect. Overall, however, they are very well-made gloves.

Overall ratings

Craftsmanship and quality: 8/10

Wrist support: 10/10

Padding: 8/10

Hand and thumb compartment: 7/10

Impact absorption: 10/10

Durability: 10/10

Aesthetics: 8/10

Total: 61/70 -> 8.7/10

Final words

I would recommend these gloves for anyone looking for a nice pair of gloves that can do it all, but with smaller hands. My main knock on these gloves is that they are a bit pricy, as for the price of $160 you could get a pair of Cleto Reyes or Sabas gloves, which do seem to be better overall than these gloves (however I have tried neither. I am planning on buying one of the two in the coming weeks, any help would be appreciated). To be honest, however, if something did happen to these gloves I would most likely not purchase these gloves again, as these are not exactly what I was looking for when I bought them. Regardless, they are great gloves, and the upside trumps the downside.

If you read until the end, thank you and I hope you enjoyed, and I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

bunjaba

***I will upload pictures later as at the time of posting it is night where I live and all the photos look grainy and shit

First of all: Wrong board, review should go into the review section.

Despite that, nice to hear your opinion on these gloves, as I am also currently writing a comparison review that includes the Kanpeki 3. :)

One thing that really really surprised me from your review is that you think they are suitable for sparring more than bags. If they are 14 or 16oz than maybe, perhaps that is just a matter of opinion, but yours are the 10oz which is exactly the size as my pair.

10oz Kanpeki 3 are super super thin on padding...put the usual logic of sparring should be using 14oz + aside, maybe you put headguards on and sparring extremely light, however even that, among all the 10oz I have, the Kanpeki definitely has the thinnest padding out there, pretty much a fight glove if you ask me. I'd say they are the least suitable for any type of sparring if you ask me, even if you have to go 10oz, 99% of the 10oz are better than them in that regards.

But of course this is just my opinion. Look forward to see some cool pictures.

First of all: Wrong board, review should go into the review section.

Despite that, nice to hear your opinion on these gloves, as I am also currently writing a comparison review that includes the Kanpeki 3. :)

One thing that really really surprised me from your review is that you think they are suitable for sparring more than bags. If they are 14 or 16oz than maybe, perhaps that is just a matter of opinion, but yours are the 10oz which is exactly the size as my pair.

10oz Kanpeki 3 are super super thin on padding...put the usual logic of sparring should be using 14oz + aside, maybe you put headguards on and sparring extremely light, however even that, among all the 10oz I have, the Kanpeki definitely has the thinnest padding out there, pretty much a fight glove if you ask me. I'd say they are the least suitable for any type of sparring if you ask me, even if you have to go 10oz, 99% of the 10oz are better than them in that regards.

But of course this is just my opinion. Look forward to see some cool pictures.

Thank you for your comment and feedback :) and I apologize I did not know there was a board for reviews. As to your comments on the gloves, maybe I forgot to consider how broken in my gloves are but I must admit that that is strange. My sparring partner uses 14oz and 16oz gloves and he has no issues with me using these gloves, and when I have let people punch me with them (to get a feel for the gloves) I found them surprisingly soft, which is not what I wanted. Maybe it is just the break in factor which I did not take into account as my gloves see almost daily use. Regardless, I’m interested in what you will say in your review about the gloves because now I’m very curious...

They really need to address the thumb issue. It's been a complaint for basically all their boxing gloves since forever, and they keep making aesthetic changes and other trivial differences instead of fixing the biggest problem with them.

Thank you for your comment and feedback :) and I apologize I did not know there was a board for reviews. As to your comments on the gloves, maybe I forgot to consider how broken in my gloves are but I must admit that that is strange. My sparring partner uses 14oz and 16oz gloves and he has no issues with me using these gloves, and when I have let people punch me with them (to get a feel for the gloves) I found them surprisingly soft, which is not what I wanted. Maybe it is just the break in factor which I did not take into account as my gloves see almost daily use. Regardless, I’m interested in what you will say in your review about the gloves because now I’m very curious...

I am not a hard puncher at all being a lightweight and my kicker style.

But I am already punching through the 10oz Kanpeki like nothing is there when they are brand new. It is not even about the softness or stiffness of the padding, is they are so thin I am punching through them regardless. I suspose if they break in anymore(Being any softer), I will punch through anyone face with them. lol And they are crazily underweight too imo (Though I didn't weight them exactly), but that play a factor into how I am punching through them effortlessly.

I respect your opinion and appreciate your review of course, but I am going to trash these gloves in my upcoming review. (No offence to you) :p

Last edited:
I am not a hard puncher at all being a lightweight and my kicker style.

But I am already punching through the 10oz Kanpeki like nothing is there when they are brand new. It is not even about the softness or stiffness of the padding, is they are so thin I am punching through them regardless. I suspose if they break in anymore(Being any softer), I will punch through anyone face with them. lol And they are crazily underweight too imo (Though I didn't weight them exactly), but that play a factor into how I am punching through them effortlessly.

I respect your opinion and appreciate your review of course, but I am going to trash these gloves in my upcoming review. (No offence) :p

Lol I don't blame you they are not for everyone, I'm saving up to buy either Sabas or Cleto gloves to use for sparring and then use these for bag work strictly... I think they are good gloves but for the money they just aren't worth it. Now I'm really excited to see what you have to say :p who knows maybe youll talk me into getting rid of them

Lol I don't blame you they are not for everyone, I'm saving up to buy either Sabas or Cleto gloves to use for sparring and then use these for bag work strictly... I think they are good gloves but for the money they just aren't worth it. Now I'm really excited to see what you have to say :p who knows maybe youll talk me into getting rid of them

Can't go wrong with those two, especially 14/16/18 oz (depending on your weight) for sparring and doing it the right way. Kanpeki 3.0 isn't the worst I have owned, but definitely not worth the price tag like you said.

They really need to address the thumb issue. It's been a complaint for basically all their boxing gloves since forever, and they keep making aesthetic changes and other trivial differences instead of fixing the biggest problem with them.
I agree with you 100%. Its not fair as many boxers have larger sized hands and these gloves would be unusable to them

Can't go wrong with those two, especially 14/16/18 oz (depending on your weight) for sparring and doing it the right way. Kanpeki 3.0 isn't the worst I have owned, but definitely not worth the price tag like you said.
Out of those 2, which would you personally recommend? All I hear is praise for both and everything about them seems very similar, makes choosing very hard!!!

Out of those 2, which would you personally recommend? All I hear is praise for both and everything about them seems very similar, makes choosing very hard

I don't have either, but the Sabas is much higher on my list. Base on everything I have heard and tried. Reyes isn't my type of gloves, thumbs and break in periods all that, too many great gloves out there for me to put so much efforts into just fitting a pair of Reyes. And Sabas has 3 major models for different taste. Only downside is 50 USD to ship intentionally as they aren't that widely available.

I don't have either, but the Sabas is much higher on my list. Base on everything I have heard and tried. Reyes isn't my type of gloves, thumbs and break in periods all that, too many great gloves out there for me to put so much efforts into just fitting a pair of Reyes. And Sabas has 3 major models for different taste. I prefer Sabas, just my preference.
Seems fair... when the time comes that I can afford them Ill see then. I'm leaning towards the sabas proseries but time will tell

Back