Having serious 2nd thoughts about my BJJ gym

A semi related question :

What's a good amount of time to roll each class ? 20 minutes ? An hour ?

Thankfully I'm in San Diego so a ton options...but like I said my timing is really tight since I have to get off work and get kids get home and wait for my wife to get home and even then I BARELY make it to the gym down the street 2 miles away.

I'm going to call a few even if farther away and ask if they start classes even 6:30 or so. An extra 30 minutes might help.

But then that leaves the wife unhappy I'm coming home later and kids are in bed.

I wish I had a time machine and can go back and start this in my early 20s before wife and kids:(
cruise by rebellion academy (checkmat mira mesa) on saturday. i'll be there with a lot of upper belts, 3 hours of straight rolling

It really depends on the individuals.

I cannot expect a 40 years man to roll for one hour every classes. He has to work, spend time with family etc.

An 18 years old kid that goes to school and lives with his parents can do such training.

I am not surprised that classes are getting shorter and therefore with less rolling time.

I even heard of Bjj classes where the instructor just concluded the class after he teach the techniques of the day and they drill for a while. Then people just go home. Or people can stay to roll like an open mats.

I use to have 30 minutes rolling but that extended to 1 hour because of the limited rolling space and the number of students increased.

I don't match people. They just choose the rolling partners.
I picked my rolling partner based on many factors. Mostly how I physically feel. There is nothing worst than going to work when you had a hard session with guys that are 10 kg and 10 years younger. It distract me at work if I am tired and my employer would notice it.

If I don't roll, I watch people rolling and mental notes. If needed, I would address some of the issues right after the round. That is as an instructor how you fix people techniques.
Lot of time, students would come and pick my brain during rounds.

In a way, I feel selfish if I just roll when there is limited space. One reason is that a paying customer could be training instead and also I need to monitor things. I hate instructors that just go on their Facebook or gossip during class.

In your situation. I won't worry too much about it. If there is only 3 rounds of rolling available, just do the 3 rounds and do not take a break and go home.

Like some others mentioned, just network with team mates and try to organise some open mats on the side.

I even had mats at home for that because we only had limited classes.

cruise by rebellion academy (checkmat mira mesa) on saturday. i'll be there with a lot of upper belts, 3 hours of straight rolling

I live in mira mesa!!!

What are your class hours ? Rates? Class structure ?

I'll look it up now

Thankfully I'm in San Diego so a ton options...but like I said my timing is really tight since I have to get off work and get kids get home and wait for my wife to get home and even then I BARELY make it to the gym down the street 2 miles away.

I'm going to call a few even if farther away and ask if they start classes even 6:30 or so. An extra 30 minutes might help.

But then that leaves the wife unhappy I'm coming home later and kids are in bed.

I wish I had a time machine and can go back and start this in my early 20s before wife and kids:(
It doesn't sound like you plan on being a world beater or anything. I think you are stressing over something that may be important or not. While I think 10 minutes is too little personally your family needs to have some consideration into your choices.

If you spend all day at work pick up your children then go to the gym until after your family is in bed, that's no bueno. That will lead to all sorts of marital problems. Unless you don't give a shit and just want to train. Listen I've been training for years. Training is important to me but honestly my family is much more important than the mats. I love training don't get me wrong. It's my mistress. I get to it whenever I get a minute but I wouldn't leave my family for it.

To answer your original question, I would say that class structure is not unusual, though the warmups vary greatly between schools.

To the location issue, yes it's very important. In subtle ways it will influence how much you actually train. I can tell you I trained a hell of a lot more when I lived 5 minutes from where I trained. Sure, I have a lot more constraints on my time now, but if I still lived 5 minutes away it would leave a lot more time for training.

Depends on the goals. I don't see how you could possibly have a "general population" class with an hour of rolling. Many academies will have competition classes that will include that much sparring, but it's a specialized session for those with competition goals. 20 is reasonable I think.

But again, you have to recognize who your students are. Maybe you have a bunch of beginners and the sparring is less important. Maybe it's a mat full of killers with a tournament coming up. At our academy we don't have a hard-and-fast structure for a class in terms of how much time is devoted to each thing. Some days it might be necessary to dedicate more time to the technical instruction, and other days it might be a ton of sparring.

I rarely leave class without rolling at least 3x7min rounds. Usually it's 4-5. There's an easily observable correlation between how much people roll and how good they get. I know the people who stay longer and roll more will be the best in the gym at their rank in short order, not just because they get more mat time but also because just being around later means then get more questions answered, and because they're showing dedication the higher belts invest more time in helping them out.

It doesn't sound like you plan on being a world beater or anything. I think you are stressing over something that may be important or not. While I think 10 minutes is too little personally your family needs to have some consideration into your choices.

If you spend all day at work pick up your children then go to the gym until after your family is in bed, that's no bueno. That will lead to all sorts of marital problems. Unless you don't give a shit and just want to train. Listen I've been training for years. Training is important to me but honestly my family is much more important than the mats. I love training don't get me wrong. It's my mistress. I get to it whenever I get a minute but I wouldn't leave my family for it.

Thats my dilemma.

I help out as much as possible. I pick up both kids from separate schools rush home change them clean them up make them a quick dinner or snack and by time I get home I put them to bed. But my time is SO tight.

But I generally go to night classes two nights a week. Other 3 days they offer noon classes.... but problem with THAT is I only have 1 hour lunch break so I'm even more rushed to leave.

It's tough as you get older. You're right I'm not going to be a world beater , I'm doing this to be in shape have fun and most importantly be able to handle myself in a real fight if needed

Don't you have a school with morning or lunch trainings in your area, they are pretty good options when you lack time...
We have the second kid on the way in two months and the end of pregnancy is let say a bit difficult for my wife, since Jan and until may-June the midday classes are my only option and am grateful to have them so that I can still train 3-4 times a Week. the negative is that you have to skip lunches with friends / colleagues

By the way GB are usually legit, but there are so many GB schools that the levels and class structures are quite disparate.
In my gym ( Ari Galo) the midday session are 1h30 but you can come late or leave early and the evening, Week End and open mats Session are 2 hours but often last longer for thos who want to roll longer

Thats my dilemma.

I help out as much as possible. I pick up both kids from separate schools rush home change them clean them up make them a quick dinner or snack and by time I get home I put them to bed. But my time is SO tight.

But I generally go to night classes two nights a week. Other 3 days they offer noon classes.... but problem with THAT is I only have 1 hour lunch break so I'm even more rushed to leave.

It's tough as you get older. You're right I'm not going to be a world beater , I'm doing this to be in shape have fun and most importantly be able to handle myself in a real fight if needed

Sorry just see you have noon session which are not an option. One hour is really short indeed even almost impossible to manage.... I usually take 1h30 -1h45 as lunch break when I train, but we are pretty flexible at my workplace...

Sunday morning maybe?

Thats my dilemma.

It's tough as you get older. You're right I'm not going to be a world beater , I'm doing this to be in shape have fun and most importantly be ab
Sorry just see you have noon session which are not an option. One hour is really short indeed even almost impossible to manage.... I usually take 1h30 -1h45 as lunch break when I train, but we are pretty flexible at my workplace...

Sunday morning maybe?

No weekend classes unfortunatly:(

Maybe on days with day and night classes i can try to go to BOTH, that way between both I get good solid 30 minutes or more of rolling.

My job is about 20 minutes away so I take about 2 hours lunches as it is on those days and hope no one says anything!!

Thats my dilemma.

I sympathize as I have similar time crunch issues with the family and career. One suggestion is maybe go to class late so you can help out with the kids more. That way you're helping the wife out more before you leave which will hopefully allow you to stay at class later when the kids are in bed. Then you can skip the warm ups and just roll a lot longer at the end of class.

Not sure if that's feasible with two kids though. I only have a 3 year old daughter which is a lot easier on my wife when I'm at the gym. If we had two I'm not sure I would be able to train as much as I do now (which isn't all that much).

Thats my dilemma.

It's tough as you get older. You're right I'm not going to be a world beater , I'm doing this to be in shape have fun and most importantly be ab

No weekend classes unfortunatly:(

Maybe on days with day and night classes i can try to go to BOTH, that way between both I get good solid 30 minutes or more of rolling.

My job is about 20 minutes away so I take about 2 hours lunches as it is on those days and hope no one says anything!!

It sucks to get older, not easy to find time... but yep a gym with Week end session longer and late classes may be more convenient. Good Luck

Also
I sympathize as I have similar time crunch issues with the family and career. One suggestion is maybe go to class late so you can help out with the kids more. That way you're helping the wife out more before you leave which will hopefully allow you to stay at class later when the kids are in bed. Then you can skip the warm ups and just roll a lot longer at the end of class.

Not sure if that's feasible with two kids though. I only have a 3 year old daughter which is a lot easier on my wife when I'm at the gym. If we had two I'm not sure I would be able to train as much as I do now (which isn't all that much).

I guess I can ask the professor if that's ok... as a joke he makes people even a few minutes late do like 40 push ups. I'm not sure if he's really irritated of joking. But if I tell him my situation he might get it.

Truth be told I'm not sure WHY class starts at 6. I can't be the only one who has to rush after work to get there. I'd imagine even 6:30 would help a lot

It sucks to get older, not easy to find time... but yep a gym with Week end session longer and late classes may be more convenient. Good Luck

Thanks man for helping me out I appreciate it. Good luck to you too!

you have to way the pros and cons. pro- close to home with crazy schedule. you like the people and instructor. cons- not enough rolling and no gi class. what you have to ask yourself do those outweigh the pros. Are you looking to compete then maybe more rolling would be beneficial if not what if the travel to a new gym only allows you twice a week instead of the 5 days you go. checking out a new gym will help you decide but once you made your decision don't wonder about what if's. also 3 stripes in 7 months seems a lot.

Also

I guess I can ask the professor if that's ok... as a joke he makes people even a few minutes late do like 40 push ups. I'm not sure if he's really irritated of joking. But if I tell him my situation he might get it.

Truth be told I'm not sure WHY class starts at 6. I can't be the only one who has to rush after work to get there. I'd imagine even 6:30 would help a lot

Lucky my instructor is hawaiian so things tend to be a lot looser. You don't have to ask him, you just show up when you can.

I'd be screwed if my class started at 6 or 6:30. Thank god we have 7 pm classes otherwise I'd never make it either.

Unless it's a gym that offers a ton of class times then 6 pm sounds like it would be really hard for most adults to make it unless you go to work early\get off early which would be a small group of people I imagine.

Wait, for free ? So an open mat at a gym I'm not a member at and I can just go to open mat there ?

Honu BJJ used to host one (open mat) every Sunday, and I am not sure if they still do because I am currently deployed so I don't really know what is going on over there recently. Honu is run by two black belts who came up under the Ribeiros, Shawn and Brandon. They are good dudes and they welcome everyone regardless of affiliation to these particular open mats.

Last edited:
Back