Have you watched the Guv'nor?

StonedLemur

Chief of Sherbro Island
@plutonium
Reaction score
Real good documentary about Lenny McLean.
I only knew a little about him, but this documentary opened up a bit more about him from a personal side as well as some of the crazy shit we all know...and a bit more that we don't.

His son is doing the documentary which makes it feel more personal which is cool.

If you haven't watched it already, give it a peek.

Peace and love you beautiful bastads lol

Interesting personality but hypes himself up in the book a bit too much, in the end he lost fights and ducked bronson

I see.
Thanks for the information though, I'll have to get the book.

Interesting personality but hypes himself up in the book a bit too much, in the end he lost fights and ducked bronson

I was watching a vid on Bartley Gorman, 'King of the Gypsies', who was another guy who had a big reputation in the UK as a bare knuckle boxer and McLean also ducked him when he was called out

Got on the piss with his brother one night in 2000 I think. He lived in Australia at the time. He had some interesting stories and vids of Lenny's fights that we watched.

If I remember correctly Lenny was attacked by about 12 young blokes one night when they were harassing a woman. He felt they were gunna rape her and intervened and bashed most of them. I think some landed in hospital and he got charged.

Lenny also had some guy ride up to his door on a motorbike and shoot him in the arse on a different occasion.

His brother was not a bad bloke. From memory he was younger and their stepdad used to bash Lenny and Lenny used to make sure he did not touch his little brother by drawing all his attention away.

He spoke quite highly of him.

Last edited:
Got on the piss with his brother one night in 2000 I think. He lived in Australia at the time. He had some interesting stories and vids of Lenny's fights that we watched.

If I remember correctly Lenny was attacked by about 12 young blokes one night when they were harassing a woman. He felt they were gunna rape her and intervened and bashed most of them. I think some landed in hospital and he got charged.

Lenny also had some guy ride up to his door on a motorbike and shoot him in the arse on a different occasion.

His brother was not a bad bloke. From memory he was younger and their stepdad used to bash Lenny and Lenny used to make sure he did not touch his little brother by drawing all his attention away.

He spoke quite highly of him.

The step father and shot in the ass stories are in this documentary.

That's pretty awesome that you hung with his brother though, good memories sir.

I was watching a vid on Bartley Gorman, 'King of the Gypsies', who was another guy who had a big reputation in the UK as a bare knuckle boxer and McLean also ducked him when he was called out
I watched that documentary years ago and liked that one.
Bartley is Tyson Fury's grandfather iirc.

The step father and shot in the ass stories are in this documentary.

That's pretty awesome that you hung with his brother though, good memories sir.
Yes he was not a bad guy. His name was Barry. He had a similar face to his brother but he had a moustache.

Is the book worth reading?

Real good documentary about Lenny McLean.
I only knew a little about him, but this documentary opened up a bit more about him from a personal side as well as some of the crazy shit we all know...and a bit more that we don't.

His son is doing the documentary which makes it feel more personal which is cool.

If you haven't watched it already, give it a peek.

Peace and love you beautiful bastads lol
Read his book. A bit heartbreaking in the last couple of chapters considering the obvious but a brilliant read.

I thought Roy Shaw's book was better. He was far less cocky and full of himself than McLean.

Ultimately, a lot of these people hype themselves up as legendary boxers but would be absolutely destroyed by any half decent professional.

I started looking up those guys when a local, immigrant, brit-boxer told me about them. Interesting guys, all of them but I kinda wonder exactly how good they were. If you're really good and have any ambition to prove it, you do it. I think the guy I knew told me some of those guys were limited by prison records, as , for some bizarre reason, the british don't allow criminals to box. Don't know how true that is but it would be pretty stupid to bar a guy from a legal way of making a buck if he's already on the margins.

Reactions: Zer
Back