Have you ever tried putting garlic cloves in your smoothie?

Kenjamito

Freakin Covid
@Blue
Reaction score
I was listening to Joe Rogan's podcast, and he gave his smoothie recipe, which called for 4 garlic cloves. I went to the market and got all of the ingredients and blended them up. Cant believe the awful after taste and just how much 4 cloves of garlic overrides the flavors of everything else in the blender. I've since tried 3, then 2, and tonight 1 clove of garlic which I found tolerable. I can't imagine little garlic cloves have the nutritional value that is worth suffering through 4 of them on a regular basis, and I really questioned how often he does that.

I recently tried adding a garlic clove to a hot lemon water drink (also had honey and apple cider vinegar in it) and was also amazed at how awful it tasted. Just eat them straight up or add them to a compatible dish like spaghetti sauce they'll enhance. They're supposedly good for your immune system and libido.

Last edited:
I was listening to Joe Rogan's podcast, and he gave his smoothie recipe, which called for 4 garlic cloves. I went to the market and got all of the ingredients and blended them up. Cant believe the awful after taste and just how much 4 cloves of garlic overrides the flavors of everything else in the blender. I've since tried 3, then 2, and tonight 1 clove of garlic which I found tolerable. I can't imagine little garlic cloves have the nutritional value that is worth suffering through 4 of them on a regular basis, and I really questioned how often he does that.

I make my own raw garlic capsules by making a fine paste out of the cloves by using a garlic press and then mincing them with a chefs knife. After that I use a q-tip to stuff the garlic into the capsules and then drink them with a smoothie or a meal.

I consume one or two cloves at a time depending on the size. Let the garlic capsules sit for about 5-10 minutes or until the capsules soften to make them easier to swallow.

Last edited:
Do you mean to use raw garlic in like a green smoothie? I just don't see how it could be any good for a fruitty one.

You could use powered garlic for the convenience, or to reduce the harsh taste just cook them. You can brush a whole bunch of cloves (no need to remove skin etc., just clean it with paper towel) with a bit of olive oil, wrap it in tinfoil and put it in the oven for 1 hour at 140°C.
You can also boil them gently in milk, adding some spices ad lib, till they are soft (don't remove the skin, use a sharp knife to test readiness). After that removing the skin is easy, and you can do a paste for later use if you want.

I'm not sure how cooking garlic affect its properties, but apart from a few recipes using a lot of raw garlic will be difficult. I mean you could make a mustard/mayo-ham-garlic sandwich, but you have to like garlic...

I've been juicing one clove of garlic daily, and also ginger root daily (which Rogan used to do or still does). Both overtake the taste of the fruit and vegetables I juice them with. My advice to make it taste less bad would be to juice garlic with fruit only. 1/2 of a pineapple with garlic or two oranges with garlic. Also, the more often you juice garlic the more adapt to the taste and it tastes less strong over time.

Last edited:
No, I have to interact with other humans.

I don't subscribe too much to superfoods, however I will add a garlic clove to cooking. Just throw it in a pan, a soup, or even 15 seconds in a microwave to get past that acidic bitter blast.

I wouldn't even dream of wrecking my smoothie with one.

Thanks for the responses. A couple of you do a lot with your garlic. I was just throwing them into a vegetable smoothie and including a piece of fruit like a banana to try and override the taste. I too use the ginger root, but I like the taste of ginger. I'm going to try a whole lemon and see if that covers the 1 clove of garlic. It really is amazing how powerful that little thing is.

Joe's daily smoothie (Hulk loads) look good, garlic aside. Can't stand garlic, the only way I might eat one if it's toasted in oil.

Garlic is awesome, doesn't make sense in a smoothie though.

Forget your lame smoothie and make a real meal.

One of the guys I work with made me one last year and it was absoutley disgusting. I don't know how anyone can drink it, I took one sip and that was enough for me, never again!. The thing is garlic is such a strong flavor that it will just overwhelm basically anything in a drink, There was supposed to be many fruits in the smoothie but honestly all I could taste was a very strong garlic

I keep garlic and fruit separate.

Joe Rogan has a lot of terrible ideas when it comes to food "recipes". In fact, all of his "science-based" rambling is almost always pseudo intellectual nonsense.

Just cook your food with garlic or put it in some salad, why would you put it in a fucking smoothie lol?

Just cook your food with garlic or put it in some salad, why would you put it in a fucking smoothie lol?

There is something about the bodybuilding / internet health nut mindset that wants all-in-one dietary solutions. Hence all the recipes for disgusting shakes and protein porridge etc. It's like people think "I need protein, I hear kale is healthy and I need some healthy fats......of course! I'll have a kale, whey and fish-oil shake every morning".

Joe Rogan has a lot of terrible ideas when it comes to food "recipes". In fact, all of his "science-based" rambling is almost always pseudo intellectual nonsense.

He was talking about eating whole bulbs of raw garlic on the recent Rhonda Patrick podcast, and how he felt an awful 'burning' sensation as it made its way down..saying he even had to 'take a knee' it was so bad. There are powerful compounds in plants and that doesnt sound like it would be so good for you..so yeah i think he is a little experimental with his nutrition at times. Incidentally, if youre eating garlic Rhonda Patrick recommended to chop it up and leave it for 10mins before you eat it as this allows the formation of some beneficial compound (dont remember what its called -its on the podcast before this latest one)

most eatable solution for raw garlic is guacamole like mixes, with fruits is just wrong taste - way too dominant

Yes.

Tomato juice
Jalapeno
Garlic
Protein

Kinda awful though.

scust.png

Garlic has some nutrients but if you've ever cooked before more than a couple slices from a clove will be overwhelming. WTF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back