Hassan N’Dam-Ryota Murata Rematch Lands on ESPN

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The world title rematch between World Boxing Association (WBA) middleweight champion Hassan N’Dam (36-2, 21 KOs), of France, and No. 1 contender Ry?ta Murata (12-1, 9 KOs), of Japan, will be televised live to the U.S. from Tokyo, on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes, Sunday, October 22, at 7:00 a.m. ET.

In their previous battle, which took place on May 20, also in Tokyo, N’Dam claimed the vacant world title via a controversial split decision despite getting knocked down in the fourth round and being out-boxed throughout the fight. The decision was considered questionable, leading the WBA to suspend the two judges -- Gustavo Padilla of Panama and Canada’s Hubert Earle, who handed in the scorecards – for six months. The WBA also ordered an immediate rematch.

Murata captured the Olympic gold medal in the middleweight division at the 2012 Olympics held in London. It was the first gold medal won by a Japanese boxer since Takao Sakurai in 1964, and also is the first-ever boxing medal in a weight class other than bantamweight or flyweight. Murata also became the 100th gold medalist in Japanese Olympic history. Five of Murata’s last six victories have come by way of knockout.

murata-ndam%20(6)_1.jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/hassan-ndam-ryota-murata-rematch-lands-on-espn--120908

The announcement does not mention the other two title fights on the card, Kenshiro vs. Pedro Guevara and Daigo Higa vs. Thomas Massone, which is a bit of a shame. Higa is must-watch television at the age of 22 and could probably develop a decent following stateside with the right promotional push.

Never in a million years did i think ESPN would randomly decide to air a Japanese world title fight live in the morning. This is great news, but what gives?

Oh wait, since its middleweight they probably realized one of these two guys will eventually have to fight Golovkin. Smart of ESPN2 of thinking of that.

I'd enjoy that fight personally, if GGG doesn't fight Saunders instead.

The first JD was a head scratcher. I guess Murata should win the rematch.

Back