Has wmma regressed?

In days of old we had the likes of Cyborg, Ronda, Amanda Nunez, Joanna Jerdreszyck. Today we have Raqel Pennington as champ..

Weird question with an interesting answer.

The heavier weight classes are an absolute mess thanks to decisions like letting Cyborg go, Nunes retiring, etc.

But the lighter weight classes that Joanna was in are still boss at the highest level.

The top tier of talent is still OK, aside from 135/145, but that's like 10 total fighters at 115/125. So yeah, it's bad, but it's always been bad.

I have no idea what the development pipeline for WMMA looks like. Are there more women getting into MMA when they are like 16-20? Are there more women in related combat sports than before (wrestling, BJJ)? What's the scene in Europe/China/Mexico/Brazil? I honestly have no clue.

It seems like you have some that probably start training as they were fans or their boyfriends train, people that did MMA/kickboxing for exercise and kept going with it, then some tiny percentage of women who were in related combat sports, which are themselves super niche sports.

Then on top of that you need them to want to get brain damage and be great athletes (Joanna, Cyborg, Holm, Rhonda, Rose, Kayla etc. are good athletes.

If Dagestan let girls wrestle it might improve things, but I don't think they are allowed outdoors in broad daylight.

Don't worry everyone, the future WMMA GOAT will be here soon.

images

how dare you ask this question

you are not soohisticated or progressive enuff obviously to take WMMA in
You are accidentally very close to the truth. If WMMA haters could get over their insecurity and biases and actually watch the fights for what they are, they would see how entertaining they can be.

As it is they don't bother watching, or if they do they are rolling their eyes the whole time and not actually paying attention.

There can be an absolute war happening and there will still be dipshits in the PBP calling it boring.

Forgive me if I don't take those opinions seriously.

115 & 125 shows much more skilled fighters than 135. Hell women in those lower weight has much more skill than Tai Tuivasa.

Back