Has Islam surpassed Khabib yet? Comparing their careers

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Khabib went 13-0. He defended against Conor, Dustin, and Justin, but also had high level wins against RDA and Barboza. He beat some mid level guys in Iaquinta, Johnson and Tibau, but also smashed some journeymen in Horcher and Shalorus.

Islam has gone 15-1. Has defended against Volk x2 and Oliveira, but also has a high level win against a new generation LW in Arman. His middle level wins include Dober, Moises, Hooker, Green. He has too beaten a few journeymen in Lentz and wade.

I personally believe Islam's resume has surpassed Khabibs in quality. Khabib's career has more popular name recognition, but Volk(twice) and Oliveira are more elite wins than Conor, Dustin, and Justin.

Not to mention their development as fighters. Khabib was always a grappler and pretty much did the same thing just refined it. Islam started out similar but is now HEAD KICKING guys like Volk and even dropped and subbed Oliveira. If Khabib is 5% better in grappling, than Islam is 15% better as a striker. Khabib's greatest standup accomplishment is dropping Conor, which is impressive, but not as impressive as head kicking Volk.

I wouldn't bet on Gamrot beating Islam, Fiziev is out for a year+. The only person who I personally seeing have a chance is Oliveira, and I still think Islam will win the rematch.

What do you think?

Not yet. He needs to go for most title defenses in UFC history.
Well he only needs one more and he ties the Khabib, BJ, Benson record of 3 defenses. I still think his victories have already surpassed Khabib's best wins.

Last edited:
Mmm, I’d still like to see him beat Gaethje. Volk was a featherweight, like it or not. A great fighter but giving up height/size.

Mmm, I’d still like to see him beat Gaethje. Volk was a featherweight, like it or not. A great fighter but giving up height/size.
Volk was ranked #1 P4P. Justin and Dustin can only dream of that accolade.

no beause islams defenses are against 145 pound champ

khabib cleaned out the lw division. all of islams next fights will be against khabibs left overs. if he bets them yes we can say he has passed khabib, but lets let him put ona few more defenses.

He beat Oliviera , who beat gaethe and Poirier .

and Volk is a better FW then Conor , no?

so islams wins are better , no ?

stupid to debate anyways …. I
Think the fact he wants to keep
Taking on challenges and is calling out WW champ to fight is more Daring and impressive …..

2 more title defenses imo

This works for me. He's been great against better competition but hasn't looked as invincible as Khabib did. 2 more wins would erase all doubt.

I’m biased as hell because Volk is one of my favourite fighters and a fellow Aussie but personally I think that Islam’s wins over Volk are better than Justin, Conor, and Dustin at least individually.

Volk was/is(hopefully) a top 3 P4P fighter and probably the second best FW of all time that is a HUGE quality win.

Not to mention the victory over Olivera who had a great title reign himself.

I think quality of wins Islam is better but in terms of dominance not many can rival Khabib.

And of course there’s the fact that Islam has been KO’d before which will loom over him when talking about comparisons to Khabib.

can u explain why islam needs 3-5 more dominant defenses to surpass khabib when khabib only had 3 defenses and islam already has 2?
for me its not just about belt defenses but how dominant you were. Khabib never got dropped. Never cut. Never rocked. Khabib retired early but theres zero doubt in my mind if he didnt and could continue to make LW, he could have racked up 5+ dominant defenses.

Islam will likely surpass Khabib on defenses and thats great but it would take a lot to be seen as greater/more dominant. Islam has been knocked out and got dropped/beat on in the 5th round of the first Volk fight

for me its not just about belt defenses but how dominant you were. Khabib never got dropped. Never cut. Never rocked. Khabib retired early but theres zero doubt in my mind if he didnt and could continue to make LW, he could have racked up 5+ dominant defenses.

Islam will likely surpass Khabib on defenses and thats great but it would take a lot to be seen as greater/more dominant. Islam has been knocked out and got dropped/beat on in the 5th round of the first Volk fight

I'm a bigger Khabib fan than Islam fan but, I respectfully disagree, ONLY because of what the thread starter asked specifically: Whether Islam has surpassed Khabib in terms of resume quality.
If we say Volk is a FW, so Islam won a FW; Well Conor was a FW too and Volk was P4P #1 or #2.
Olivera is a good win and Olivera destroyed Dustin and Justin; Khabib defeated the latter two but not the former (Olivera).
Your post contains a lot of "ifs" too, for example, you and I are both 100% certain that Khabib could have had at least 10 defenses (yes I'm with you on that, But it's still an "if", meaning it didn't happen, and thus, in relation to TS's question of whether Islam's resume surpasses Khabib, this "if" scenario gets thrown out of the window, because TS's question is linked directly to what has already happened in reality).

Would you be inclined to agree if I put it this way:
Within a maximum of 2 more title defenses, Islam would certainly surpass Khabib in terms of resume (the people whom he fought, how he finished them, the variety of ways in which he finished these opponents, finishing them at their strong suit eg. Volk is a striker but was KO'd, Olivera is good in grappling but was submitted, etc. etc.) , BUT, Khabib will almost certainly, always be the better fighter, more dominant fighter, and have an extremely good chance to suffocate Islam if prime Khabib and prime Islam went 1v1.
Would you agree if I put it that way? And actually, to be very honest, I think Islam's resume is already comparable to Khabib right now.

Back