Has anyone tried or currently do sales?

Bitcoin

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
One of the most challenging tasks I undertook was trying to make myself enjoy sales.

Sales is brutal with all the rejection you get.

I don't sell like most people as when I did I hated sales.

I don't really sell as much now as i live off repeat business.

I find it interesting how few people can do sales even though there are plenty of sales jobs out there. Most people just can't deal with rejection and a myriad of other BS that sales entails.

Also, I'm not a fan of salespeople in general.

Have you tried it and what were your thoughts? Are you still in it? Is sales a career like entertainment? Not a lot of longevity that I've seen.

Sure. Did B2C sales for a year and B2B for another one. Took me two years to conclude that I'm not cut for sales, starting hating the job, clients and myself. It had nothing to do with getting rejected, I'm immune to that, but I just realised that I'm way too much of an introvert to enjoy interacting with strangers every day. But self-improvement wise this was the best decision of my life.

Zz1hYzI1YjNhODEzYTJhZWQwNDVlMjE4NzlhNGIzM2QyNQ==

Sure. Did B2C sales for a year and B2B for another one. Took me two years to conclude that I'm not cut for sales, starting hating the job, clients and myself. It had nothing to do with getting rejected, I'm immune to that, but I just realised that I'm way too much of an introvert to enjoy interacting with strangers every day. But self-improvement wise this was the best decision of my life.
That's why i mentioned myriad of BS as well. it's not only the rejection but having to always be ON, close, meet quotas, etc.

Im in sales. But I never have to talk to customers and I get 100% commission.

I tried sales. Hated it. I'm not very good at convincing people to do things. :(

I tried sales. Hated it. I'm not very good at convincing people to do things. :(
it's a tough gig for sure. I equate it to MMA. you can't just be a boxer, you have to know wrestling, kickboxing, jiu jitsu, have stamina, you have to get knocked out a lot but still get up with the same resolve like you weren't knocked out. At least it's really not a physical knockout just mentally and emotionally.

What career did you choose instead?

Each day in sales takes 6 months off the end of your life. Fucking horrible.

I’ve been in sales 13 years, it takes time to get good but you get out what you put in

It’s not for everyone though, if you don’t have grit and determination you won’t last

I’ve been in sales 13 years, it takes time to get good but you get out what you put in

It’s not for everyone though, if you don’t have grit and determination you won’t last
That's the issue, how many employers allow you to take time to get better. So you form pushy, aggressive sales tactics which I hated. That's why I started my own business and sell my way. Have you thought about being your own boss in lieu of selling for someone else? I believe salespeople are born not made but so are entrepreneurs so I know easier said than done.

That's the issue, how many employers allow you to take time to get better. So you form pushy, aggressive sales tactics which I hated. That's why I started my own business and sell my way. Have you thought about being your own boss in lieu of selling for someone else? I believe salespeople are born not made but so are entrepreneurs so I know easier said than done.
No one gave me time to get better, I made it my business to improve.

Sales is sink or swim.

You are constantly changing everything because no two sales are the same. You keep what works and ditch what doesn’t.

Sales is a fantastic skill to have, but truely exceptional sales people are rare because most people aren’t tough (or mad) enough to stick at it.

I could sell a white cat to a witch, AMA ;)

No one gave me time to get better, I made it my business to improve.

Sales is sink or swim.

You are constantly changing everything because no two sales are the same. You keep what works and ditch what doesn’t.

Sales is a fantastic skill to have, but truely exceptional sales people are rare because most people aren’t tough (or mad) enough to stick at it.

I could sell a white cat to a witch, AMA ;)
I read that one of the top five paying jobs without a college degree is B2B sales for that reason it's hard and rare to find such an individual.

I completely agree, I believe everyone should do sales, as it toughens you up, makes you confident in front of others, other make you fall for the sales pitches that you know and most leaders have that background.

Retail but it was commission and for a product I love. I found it enjoyable, easy, and lucrative. So much so I went into business for myself.

Cold calling I'm sure would have been a different story. I don't know that I could've handled all the rejection. Maybe if I was always stoned.

Just remember to ask if I want to super size it.

I do want to super size it

Just remember to ask if I want to super size it.

I do want to super size it
That's not B2B sales or B2C. That's minimum wage service jobs that are being replaced by technology.

Back