Has anyone here ever successfully weaned themselves off alcohol?

I recall I had some difficulty stopping drinking in my early 20s. I was drinking every day and also hooked on downers. It was rough for a month or 2 but I had to tough it out. I didn't go completely teetotal but I beat my dependency and it became less and less as the years went by til it got to the point where I could take it or leave it. Last year I think is the only full year in my life I didn't get drink once.

I haven't had a beer in months. I'll have 2-5 drinks total on the weekends. I once figured that I easily could quit drinking all together although I may be reconsidering that (damn wiener kids.)

I drink 8-10 beers during a ufc and thats it.

I got hospitalized with a kid on the way. That was a good wake up call if any.

i used to drink heavily, only on the wknds, but like borderline blackout drunk every time (was in the military then). stopped the week my kid was born and have only drunk twice since (3.5 years).

gotta find something else to do w/ your time, as if you have nothing to do and have access you'll likely drink if you have no reason to stop

I'm 32 days sober. I was at a 12 pack a night for the last few years. Luckily, I was never a heavy booze drinker. I didn't really suffer from physical withdrawals, but the first week was incredibly difficult mentally.

I recently have had problems that had to be dealth with, immediately.

One, money
Two, weight gain/gym gains gone
Three, loss of time from hangovers
Four, anxiety

Money
I noticed that id spend $600-912 a month from going out. Id hardly remember what i did, usually did not get laid, and ill never get any penny of it back

Weight Gain
Ive been an ectomorph and was able to put on lean mass of muscle. I looked damn good (still do) but my shreddedness was never great. Booze obviously fucks that up. I recently was cutting uo again but i drank for 1 night. 1 as opposed to 5. It was my birthday. I woke up, waited a bit, drank water...went to gym to deadlift, POP! Pulled a back muscle from being dehydrated.

Time
Hangovers used to last all the way til 5pm the next day. Now, its sometimes 36 hours. Thats 36 hours of being fucking poisoned. Like the money, ill never see those hours again.

Anxiety
This can last a while. Full blown panic attacks that call for the help of xanax. However, xanax triggers the mind the same exact way as alcohol does, so, honestly, a shot or 2 is typically more feasible. But you cant do that all the time. When that clears, i sometimes noticed i had a hard time fucking talking. Id be confused about trivial shit too. Like, where im going, did i brush my teeth, etc. Idiot stuff!

Im not quitting, but when the above shit happens 2x a week and it costs my lifes qualities, theres gotta be a reality check, pronto.

I just stopped drinking for 6 months straight. I was pint of jack a work night and a fifth a weekend drinker for years. When I started social drinking again I had to stay at 2 beers and quit or I would binge hard for about 2 years. I stopped drinking alone period. I don't drink whwn angry or stressed. You have to find your control point and cold turkey is the only starting point. If you question your control from there don't touch alcohol period

I've quit tobacco, meth, crack, various kinds of pills, ecstasy, weed, you name it. Alcohol is something I can't kick. I do drink less than I used to though. 2-3 times a week instead of everyday.

did you keep a spreadsheet or something? that's really specific.

I would drop $60 a night at the bar and do that 3 nights a week. 2 cases of budlight and a handle jack got me through the other 4 days. It adds up quick.

Never had to since I have self control.

I would drop $60 a night at the bar and do that 3 nights a week. 2 cases of budlight and a handle jack got me through the other 4 days. It adds up quick.

oh sure, I've blown plenty of money drinking but $912 was very specific number is all. gave me the chucks.

2 years and a half years ago I was drinking 10 to 12 premix bourben cans a night, nearly every night and then drinking myself stupid e ery 2nd saturday and sunday. Then my son my was born and I diddnt want to be that drunken dead shit dad sitting at the football yelling his fat drunkenarse of at kids football. I just cut down, went cold turkey for 4 months swapped out booze for training and got my shit together. I still like a drink everynow and again

Just cutting back. Not quitting where I can't enjoy a few beers. I've gotten to a place similar to like you mentioned where it's mostly shots or drinking out of boredom or b/c I feel like shit if I don't...heh.

I like to challenge myself and I like to prove that my mind is strong. I just need to make sure I'm not gonna physically have a major problem. My plan is to drink a little less each day. I leave the bottle at work and only fill up a container with the measured amount for that day. And just start tapering it and seeing how quickly I can taper down vs side effects. I figure it'll take 2 weeks or so.
Your lieing to yourself, you dont want to quit at the moment, your just feeling guilty after a bender

I've never tried to quit but I hardly ever drink anyway. Honestly I could care less if I never drank again. It's overrated imo

I've quit tobacco, meth, crack, various kinds of pills, ecstasy, weed, you name it. Alcohol is something I can't kick. I do drink less than I used to though. 2-3 times a week instead of everyday.
I still slip up with alot of them things from to time. Every time I drink I smoke (havent smoked fulltime For over 10 years)

And if I get caught up with the boys I still have a exctasy every now and again, but instead of popping as many as I can and not going home for 3 days, I will have it early in the night and be home and a reasonable hour and be fully functioning the next day.

Ps I will never touch meth, Ive seen i wreck alot of people

I stopped twice in my life. First time was for 12 years and second time was for a month.

I still slip up with alot of them things from to time. Every time I drink I smoke (havent smoked fulltime For over 10 years)

And if I get caught up with the boys I still have a exctasy every now and again, but instead of popping as many as I can and not going home for 3 days, I will have it early in the night and be home and a reasonable hour and be fully functioning the next day.

Ps I will never touch meth, Ive seen i wreck alot of people

I didn't touch tobacco for 3 years plus. Recently I've been getting in the bad habit of smoking cigars when I drink. Pisses me off that I did that. I'll never touch stimulants again. My heart can't take it. I will pop a vicodin or Xanax if I come across them. Or sip some syrup. Haven't had any in a long time though.

I didn't touch tobacco for 3 years plus. Recently I've been getting in the bad habit of smoking cigars when I drink. Pisses me off that I did that. I'll never touch stimulants again. My heart can't take it. I will pop a vicodin or Xanax if I come across them. Or sip some syrup. Haven't had any in a long time though.
Good to here, keep strong.

Also do you notice how much less of a hangover you have when you dont smoke

Back