Has any one taken any classes at Front Sight?

texas1willy2

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I get emails from him and it looks like a great coarse I would just like to hear from someone besides their references.

First off, he's great at marketing/advertising. Now that that's out of the way...

Front Sight has solid basic instruction. No BS ninja wann-be stuff. They tend to follow the 'modern technique' from Gunsite but haven't expanded too much beyond. Emphasis is on fundamentals as applied to something besides standing at the 7yd line and plinking away at a bullseye target.

When you are there beware of the various sales pitches they will throw at you for memberships and other stuff. Just ignore it and focus on the firearms instruction. If they start the BS at lunch time grab your sandwich, walk outside and enjoy the day. Do a Gooogle search if you aren't familiar with the above.

Check eBay for discount certificates. You can save some serious cash.

Something to keep in mind is the total cost of the training such as a lodging, travel and food. For the money you may be able to find good instruction commuting distance from home.

First off, he's great at marketing/advertising. Now that that's out of the way...

Front Sight has solid basic instruction. No BS ninja wann-be stuff. They tend to follow the 'modern technique' from Gunsite but haven't expanded too much beyond. Emphasis is on fundamentals as applied to something besides standing at the 7yd line and plinking away at a bullseye target.

When you are there beware of the various sales pitches they will throw at you for memberships and other stuff. Just ignore it and focus on the firearms instruction. If they start the BS at lunch time grab your sandwich, walk outside and enjoy the day. Do a Gooogle search if you aren't familiar with the above.

Check eBay for discount certificates. You can save some serious cash.

Something to keep in mind is the total cost of the training such as a lodging, travel and food. For the money you may be able to find good instruction commuting distance from home.

Thanks,
Would you go back?

I don't think you want to take any classes at Front Sight now, all of their assets have been seized by the court.

Ya someone kind of pointed me that direction, I read some the law suite papers. The only thing I could figure out was it was a class action with 3 people and front sights lost a $5,500,000.00 judgement. It also says that the people that won the suite continued to go to 200 more lessons after the suite, and it was over the lifetime memberships. It seems like someone was playing lawyer lotto with someone with deep pockets, but the won a heck of a settlement some somethings fishy.

Texas-Willy,

Are you looking at a training course for fundmentals, or advanced stuff?

Reason I ask is that you can reference books and such and build fundamentals yourself without spending any extra on some course.

Ex: A course costs $500.00 plus ammo.

WOuld you be better off spending your money taking the course or buying $500.00 werth of ammo and working the fundamentals yourself?

You know you can goto a competition and test your fundmentals, and get a fair indication of whether you went in the right direction or not.

And you learned it and figure it out.

What do you reckon?

I not sure what my expectations are this is what I was relating it to: I've ridden motorcycles most of my life however right before I bought my first harley I took a motorcycle coarse. The coarse was a blast and I learned lots of info (some that quite possibly that could save a life) it was a great way to spend a weekend.
That is what I'm looking for, I recently took the CHL coarse and it was horrible the instructor sucked and a waste of time. I was buying in on to front sights sales pitch like being able to put 2 fatal shots in a target from a holstered gun in 1.5 seconds.. that kind of training is what I was looking for. They also could give a CHL that is good for 30 states that was appealing as well. However I'm glad I started this thread because I found out about the law-suite here so I will not be traveling to their facility anytime soon.

Courses are probly good for that, (spending a weekend, having a goodtime - hopefully right< unless its a bad class)

CHL courses aren't really courses, they are qualification exercises, disguised as a course. And its really aimed toward the lowest common denominator.

I was buying in on to front sights sales pitch like being able to put 2 fatal shots in a target from a holstered gun in 1.5 seconds.

This is a matter of proper practice. Couple weeks max... Under a second is what you're aiming for, proficiency-wise.

Chuck taylor's is a pretty good outfit if you're in Arizona.
http://www.chucktaylorasaa.com/

I looked at one of his old books and developed a pretty good draw from it.

Around Houston Area there's:
http://www.theimpactzonerange.com/

Oxley's a pretty good guy, although the facility is a bit ....Shabby.

I was talking to him about frontsight, and his remark was that it was like a Tae Kwon do class. Charge for this stage, charge for the test for the next stage, charge for this badge charge for something, and something and something. Sort've a racket...

Just a side note:
This fellow:Sonny Puzikas Former Soviet Spetsnaz with student Leslie Derrick Personal Fitness Trainer during Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting Course
sunny%20&%20leslie.jpg

Has taught some classes at Theimpactzone. He's been on that crap Spike Show Deadliest Warrior. Sputniks Versus Army Dolphins. He's a funny guy. Looks like he's led a hard life though.

I

i have trained there for years its an awesome place to train once you get passed the cheezy marketing.

If you are serious about becoming proficient with a firearm, you and go wrong with Gunsite, the original and still the best. Be prepared to shell out some dough though.

Back