Has a fighter ever kicked an opponent in the shin? (I know lol…)

MileHigher

AKA Mile-Hybrid
@Brown
Reaction score
Getting kicked in the shin hurts like a motherfucker. I’ve never heard about a specific rule against it. If oblique kicks are a viable technique then why haven’t we seen this before in even in early MMA or Vale Tudo?

Is it illegal? Just not a viable technique? What is it?

I realize this is a ridiculous question to ask but I had to, I’m too curious.

Do you mean kicked with the toes, like on the school playground? Good way to get a broken toe or foot.

Guys go shin to shin all the time. Hurts like hell for both guys. Shin Conditioning helps and of course everybody understands to use the top part of their shin to block the bottom part of the attackers shin, but at the end of the day even with perfect form that shit hurts everybody.

It's fucking wreckless but it happens. Takes a true maniac to want to do this. Yves Edwards said this about T Ferg before.

About a min in

Last edited:
Guys go shin to shin all the time. Hurts like hell for both guys. Shin Conditioning helps and of course everybody understands to use the top part of their shin to block the bottom part of the attackers shin, but at the end of the day even with perfect form that shit hurts everybody.
I've got dents all up my shins from this. It sucks for everyone involved.

one thing to is after a while of kicking shit with your shins and clashing shins

just straight up bumping shins or getting shinned etc ain't so bad

I member I had a big ass piece of slam into my shins and it didn't hurt

comparing that to accidently catching your foot on an elbow

or slamming a full out kick shins to shins when you were expecting something softer is way worse

also @MileHigher you a denverite?

I've seen a bunch of muay thai fights get finished with leg kicks where one guy gets driven back into the ropes and starts lifting his leg to check the kick and the other guy just full force aims for the shin with his kicks until the other guy willingly lowers his leg because that pain then becomes worse than the quad and at some point they just drop with a paralyzed leg.

But that's extreme even for Thai's. It's possible though. I think if you do it deliberately it's kind of easier to deal with the pain than the other way around. Blachowicz sort of did it against Anka.
Since usually mma stances are wider than in mt or kb it's easier to get clipped with an overhand while throwing it and guys lift their legs way more casual to check the kick, if they do that at all.

I think in the MMA stance it's not really a good alternative to a calf kick since it does not really deal more damage, probably less on average conncection, and you'd have to endure the full shin on shin sting every time you throw it.

one thing to is after a while of kicking shit with your shins and clashing shins

just straight up bumping shins or getting shinned etc ain't so bad

I member I had a big ass piece of slam into my shins and it didn't hurt

comparing that to accidently catching your foot on an elbow

or slamming a full out kick shins to shins when you were expecting something softer is way worse

also @MileHigher you a denverite?

Yeah I guess this wasn’t a very well thought out question lol…

I used to be a Denverite. I spent some years living in Denver, but I’m from Colorado Springs. I was born, raised and mostly lived in the springs. I moved to the east coast about 3 years ago though. Damn I miss it smh.

Marlon moraes kicked the shit out of Henry cejudos shins.

My last mma fight my opponent kicked me hard, right on the inside knee/shin in the first 30 seconds and that fuckin hurt. Kinda froze me for a split second. I thought god damn what are you doing… and then he did it a second time. I was like wtf.

Thankfully he didn’t do it again. Probably hurt him a little too, although he was much more conditioned than me in the shins

Marlon moraes kicked the shit out of Henry cejudos shins.

My last mma fight my opponent kicked me hard, right on the inside knee/shin in the first 30 seconds and that fuckin hurt. Kinda froze me for a split second. I thought god damn what are you doing… and then he did it a second time. I was like wtf.

Thankfully he didn’t do it again. Probably hurt him a little too, although he was much more conditioned than me in the shins

Who won?

Checking never NOT hurts, but it can hurt not so bad

Generally speaking, when a kick gets checked, it hurts the kicker more than the checker, this can be done aggressively to injure the kicker, or at least "take his kick away" by discouraging him to throw it.

If your shins are much more conditioned than the other guy, you can kick them, and it hurts so bad to check, that they will not check.

I had a guy do a full on running all out massive leg kick that was super obvious to read. I checked it and thought to myself of the other guy, wtf are you doing you idiot. If your familiar with the massive leg check in Dekkers highlight video, similar to that.

I've seen a bunch of muay thai fights get finished with leg kicks where one guy gets driven back into the ropes and starts lifting his leg to check the kick and the other guy just full force aims for the shin with his kicks until the other guy willingly lowers his leg because that pain then becomes worse than the quad and at some point they just drop with a paralyzed leg.

You're describing almost exactly what happened in the second round of Jerome Le Banner/Mark Hunt IV in the 2002 K-1 GP, except that it happens in reverse: JLB drops Hunt with a low kick that Hunt checked but took on the shin and dropped from the pain. JLB then has him against the ropes and Hunt prefers eating three low kicks and a high kick to picking his leg up again to take another kick to the shin.

Timestamped real-time:

Timestamped slow-mo replay:

To think how much pain Hunt must've been in having to deal with JLB going after him after already having gone through three rounds of Stefan Leko pulverizing his legs. You can see how purple Hunt's left leg is there, and that fight with JLB is Fight #2 on that thing. Yet, he just does the Ric Flair "Woo!" and smiles through the pain as he eats ruthless shots. Mark Hunt in his prime was a special kind of psycho to endure what he did o_O

Getting kicked in the shin hurts like a motherfucker. I’ve never heard about a specific rule against it. If oblique kicks are a viable technique then why haven’t we seen this before in even in early MMA or Vale Tudo?

Is it illegal? Just not a viable technique? What is it?

I realize this is a ridiculous question to ask but I had to, I’m too curious.

Watch the Tony Ferguson vs Yves Edwards fight.
Tony kicks him shin to shin quite a few times sir.

You're describing almost exactly what happened in the second round of Jerome Le Banner/Mark Hunt IV in the 2002 K-1 GP, except that it happens in reverse: JLB drops Hunt with a low kick that Hunt checked but took on the shin and dropped from the pain. JLB then has him against the ropes and Hunt prefers eating three low kicks and a high kick to picking his leg up again to take another kick to the shin.

Timestamped real-time:

Timestamped slow-mo replay:

To think how much pain Hunt must've been in having to deal with JLB going after him after already having gone through three rounds of Stefan Leko pulverizing his legs. You can see how purple Hunt's left leg is there, and that fight with JLB is Fight #2 on that thing. Yet, he just does the Ric Flair "Woo!" and smiles through the pain as he eats ruthless shots. Mark Hunt in his prime was a special kind of psycho to endure what he did o_O

Hahah that was a picture perfect check too. You can see Hunt start dropping his hands trying to block the leg kick with his gloves 😂.
Then le banner kicks his face twice lol.

That looks like a terrible time

Thanks for the reminder. I wanted to get back to that and find some tape but forgot about it. That's a good one as well for sure.

A bunch of consecutive shin on shin kicks for a finish.

Might add some more at some point.

I was heavily impressed when Anthony Smith fucked up Gustafson shin with a direct kick. That's some tough guy shit, straight kick to the shin. I think it was the second round. In case someone makes us a gif, Gus bleeds from the kick immediately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back