Hardest punch to learn

Arguably the most violent KO ever in MMA was with a lead uppercut.
View attachment 1013122

And Ngannou's second most violent KO was also a lead uppercut.
View attachment 1013123

Dude if Andy Hug can axe kick everyone in the face does it mean it´s an easy kick. If Feitosa question mark kicks 20 guys, is it a easy strike. Yes lead hand upercut can KO people but it happens once for every 1000 hook or straight punche. Also that is definitely not Franics second hardest KO, did you forgot the windmill rush on Big Boy.

Last edited:
The uppercut,

the reason being once you start using your jab, your three starts landing easy as pie, and then you have even tall people's heads bouncing right into the path of your rear uppercut, your six. The jab sets you up for success: you start finding tons of opportunities uppercut, 1-2, the occasional blunder into a money 5.

So yeah, the uppercut.

Sounds like you played some game that tells you by numbers which punch to throw

Dude if Andy Hug can axe kick everyone in the face does it mean it´s an easy kick. If Feitosa question mark kicks 20 guys, is it a easy strike. Yes lead hand upercut can KO people but it happens once for every 1000 hook or straight punche. Also that is definitely not Franics second hardest KO, did you forgot the windmill rush on Big Boy.
I was answering to someone who said it was weak, I am not arguing that it is an easy punch in any way. It is difficult and risky to land.

But otherwise yes the Henrique KO was more brutal than the Rozenstruik one. The poor guy was unconscious for nearly 3min.

drop back straight right (or left depending)

you basically have to accumulate power by falling back on your right foot, slip at the same time and then successfully measure distance and timing.

the set up also has to be too precise

wanted to say that but you said it more clearly. That looks so efficient when you watch your coach explain it or see it on video. I'd love to land it in sparring but when I (rarely) do manage to slip I almost never get the distance right and come short.

Lead uppercut. Most unnatural and weak punch. Who does it besides Conrad.
Uppercut was said to have been the most difficult and when I learned that it was knowledge canonical, from many decades previously, and that I learned now going on five decades ago. Possibility because the exquisite timing required simultaneous alignment or more planes. Its not something easily explained, admittedly. I have sought to learn and understand the science of all things related to performance with great passion, and it's not easily explained, of that much I am certain.
IIRC, Jack Johnson was the OG and reigning master of that punch.
Versus Ketchel, from Wiki
Ketchel and Johnson were friends. The match with Ketchel was originally thought to have been an exhibition, and in fact it was fought by both men that way, until the 12th round, when Ketchel threw a right to Johnson's head, knocking him down. Quickly regaining his feet, and very annoyed, Johnson immediately dashed straight at Ketchell and threw a single punch, an uppercut, a punch for which he was famous, to Ketchel's jaw, knocking him out. The punch knocked out Ketchell's front teeth; Johnson can be seen on film removing them from his glove, where they had been embedded.[34]

Last edited:
Not a master at any of the punches but I feel like my uppercuts are the most ugly and the ones I feel the least good about lol. Even just hitting pads or doing drills I don't ever really feel too great about them. On a regular boxing heavy bag or thai bag I feel pathetic throwing them too lmao.

I really like the lead uppercut. Anyone who's compact and has to be good at in-fighting should have a lead uppercut in their arsenal. Not really a weak punch.
not a weak punch, there is no weak punch, Just the hardest to be good at. But ofc depends on what you like and therefore practice the most. I asume it´s for most other people the hardest to be good at too. At least for me it is. Lead upcut feels weird, like to have power in it. And in combat sports it´s also the least used, compared to a job cross hook lead hook and even body shots. Well not a lot of people jab to the body too. You can have any punch be really good if you repeat it a lot. That being said once you´re older your skill set is like 70% non flexible anymore. I will never have rear power when I switch stances.

Last edited:
The rear hook has been a weird one for me.

My lead hook is a gorgeous work of art and the very bestest lead hook that has ever leaded or hookeded in the history of leadership or hookership (.. wait wha-).

But yeah. Rear version sucks ass.

At first I thought the jab but then thinking about it for a bit longer I would go with the punch that delivers the KO here;

In some ways it's a bad example because Roy Jones is so fast and explosive but it's also a first round KO. I think there are a lot of guys who are less explosive who would get more KO's if they can land this punch with the perfect penetration and optimal body mechanics so they punch through their opponent and snap their back the right amount. If you combine it with an overhand right it's also brutal.

Not that weak though.

povetkin-whyte.gif

I think there are a couple of ways of throwing it.

There's a method where it's more similar to a jab which is often called a screw shot in UK gyms.

The way Povetkin lands it there involves a huge wind up and is more similar to a hook though he disguises his wind up as pre emptive head movement.

Back