Gunnar Nelson's team disappointed after appeal fails in UFC Fight Night 113 loss

TheHNICuLuv2Hate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“We are disappointed with the UFC’s recent ruling to uphold the result of the July 16, 2017 bout between our client, Gunnar Nelson, and Santiago Ponzinibbio,” read the statement, posted on Paradigm’s Facebook page. “While we understand the outcome of a fight is difficult to overturn, we maintain that the blatant eye pokes were a major factor in the stoppage and the final eye poke was certainly a fight-ending foul, because Gunnar had no opportunity to signal the referee.

“A more stringent application of the Unified Rules of MMA should have been applied here to rule this fight a no-contest. We stand behind Gunnar and Team Nelson, and we hope this unfortunate situation will lead to more careful application of the rules regarding eye pokes, as fairness and fighter safety must always be a priority.”

The referee did not stop the fight to issue any warnings for eye-pokes, but afterward, Nelson said the flurry of punches he took was preceded by several fingers to his eye from Ponzinibbio.

“I’m kicking myself in the head for not stopping the fight,” Nelson told MMAjunkie at the event’s post-fight presser. “I should have stopped the fight, recovered, and carried on from there.”

Under the current rules, the only person who can stop a fight mid-action is the referee, who is the sole arbiter of the contest. However, it’s not uncommon for referees to miss illegal eye-pokes in the heat of the moment.

“I was seeing two Ponzinibbios in front of me, and it was like that until I remember standing up and the fight was over,” Nelson said.

Ponzinibbio had no recollection of poking Nelson in the eye and maintained his punches ultimately finished the fight.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/09/gunnar-nelson-appeal-ufc-fight-night-113-santago-ponzinibbio

Here we go. His team sounds like a bunch of pussies, your fighter lost, move on.

Not sure what's worse about Nelson.

His fighting skills or his personality.

No surprise. Gunnar will be back. The pokes were blatant and I think Gunnar can definitely win the rematch

Should have taken things into his own hands and stopped the fight, recovered, and carried on from there.

They tried and while unsuccessful at least raised the issue so hopefully someday the Refs and replays can be used to help avoid these tricky situations.

Nelson chose to not complain because he was landing on Ponzinibbio and didn't want to lose momentum. You can't do that and then complain afterwards.

If Mitrione didn't win an appeal after being finger fucked in the eye socket, two knuckles deep by Browne, then no one will.

“I was seeing two Ponzinibbios in front of me, and it was like that until I remember standing up and the fight was over,” Nelson said.

0b5bc97069b8117dd9ede99e5c79c64612174a9eca5aaaba755bd3beaed3380b.jpg

CABMMA is the only commission that handles these things correctly.

What we really need to do is start talking about using different style gloves. Perhaps Pride gloves.

Maybe even Joe Rogan could bring it up on his podcast and we could get the ball rolling.

I don't understand has never been brought up over the years.

What we really need to do is start talking about using different style gloves. Perhaps Pride gloves.

Maybe even Joe Rogan could bring it up on his podcast and we could get the ball rolling.

I don't understand has never been brought up over the years.
Not sure if sarcastic or not, but Rogan brings it up all the bloody time.

I guess you are being sarcastic.

Should have taken things into his own hands and stopped the fight, recovered, and carried on from there.

A fighter can't 'stop the fight', the ref has to do that. Regardless, there was no time to even complain on the final eye poke, which was the main one out of several that they were contesting. It led directly into the KO.

It's pretty ridiculous that we have the technology to look and say 'oh yeah, he clearly poked him several times here, including right before the actual KO punch', and then yet the commissions and/or in this case the UFC acting as commission, always just go... 'oh well, result stands'. Why bother having rules at that point.

It's kinda like Big John warning Nunes this weekend about open fingers... 6 times. Why bother doing it at all then, it just looks silly.

All referees are garbage for not enforcing the rules in place to their fullest extent, and the UFC and the commisions are garbage for making dumb "accidental" get out of jail free cards in the first place, aswell as infinite warnings

Oh, and the UFC also sucks ass for STILL not having switched gloves, a decade later

Grinds my gears that such absolutely incompetent dumbasses are in charge

Better to move on then continue to piss and moan about it.

Lol sbg, whiny girls. Has their whole team lost this year now?

Lmao.

I dont care about Gunnar's record but if you fight like this I hope you dont go far in mma

gunnar-nelson-santiago-ponzinibbio-eye-poke-glasgow-1011855.jpg

Back