GSP's "Pyramid" to break down fighters

MCS

Tech
@Steel
Reaction score
Uses it for training. Got me thinking how other fighters fit these areas.

Bottom layer - athleticism, the base and foundation for performing and learning

Middle layer - Technique, skills like securing or defending a lock or evading a strike

Upper layer - Tactical, finding a way to capitalize on weaknesses by studying opponents tendencies

Brock and Kerr were the first ones who came to mind for the 1st. They were often able to kill the other 2 layers via athleticism. Brock fell to technique vs Cain and a combo of technique and athleticism vs Ubereem.

Anderson for the 2nd. Technique is far ahead of the other 2, and Tactical doesn't suit him as he improvised during his prime. Was able to overcome all 3 areas before falling to athleticism (Weidman) and lack of tactics (over improvisation). And USADA (har har).

Couture for 3rd. Beat younger, faster, bigger and stronger fighters via focus on detail in preparation. Should've lost to Rizzo, Randleman, Vitor, Sylvia, Gonzaga, Chuck the first time and Tito given his age and late start.

While GSP has all 3.

Other examples of who fits where and who uses what they got the best?

Conor was definitely the 3rd after the loss to Nate but he is a 2.

Jon Jones is 3rd. He wouldnt even tae fights against old man Hendo without prep.

BcoSPloIYAARqaB.jpg

Fedor DID have all 3 when he first started, then he became a wild brawler.

He spend to much time with that creapy BJJ guy that always wear rashguards

He spend to much time with that creapy BJJ guy that always wear rashguards

You don't like Danaher? He's awesome to listen to, imo. GSP's also undefeated when both Firas and Danaher are part of his camp.

Athleticism - Ngannou
Technique - Overeem
Tactical - Steepay My-Oh-Chick

You don't like Danaher? He's awesome to listen to, imo. GSP's also undefeated when both Firas and Danaher are part of his camp.

I am sure he is a great grappling coach. But i could not have survived taking to him more then maybe a half hour

GSP is the greatest. No need for steroids or PEDs just pure hard work and strategy.

Anderson, Fedor, and Aldo have all 3.

Anderson solely relied on technique, he wasn't particularly athletic and he was terrible at game planning.

Fedor relied on brute athletism and technique, he literally never had a game plan.

Aldo is the closest to having all 3, but doesn't come close to GSP in the tactical aspect.

This is why GSP is so far and above all Silva, Fedor and Aldo (who have 17 losses combined... let that sink in).

Pre-injury GSP was super athletic. I wouldn't say he was very athletic after that. Just a normal guy with great skill, heart, and tactics.

Anderson solely relied on technique, he wasn't particularly athletic and he was terrible at game planning.

Fedor relied on brute athletism and technique, he literally never had a game plan.

Aldo is the closest to having all 3, but doesn't come close to GSP in the tactical aspect.

This is why GSP is so far and above all Silva, Fedor and Aldo (who have 17 losses combined... let that sink in).
Fedor would beat GSP in a fight. Therefor Fedor is greater.

Back