GSP wins decisive decision = uproar. McGregor wins controversial majority decision = GOAT talk.

Probably because the Conor/Nate fight was an exciting fight, only the second fight in Conor's career that went the distance, and he had moved up in weight to fight a larger man. GSP was the quintessential point-fighter, his fights were boring as shit, and he would never move up to fight Anderson even when the the promotion and the fans were begging for it. That said, any talk of Conor being the GOAT after eking out a majority decision over a 20-10 fighter is ridiculous of course....but it's no mystery why fight fans would find more enjoyment following his career rather than GSP's.

Please explain. Why is it that when GSP wins a decisive 50-45 decision there is so much negativity from Sherdoggers on this forum compared to McGregor winning a controversial majority decision and all of the sudden there is GOAT talk?

Dude I don't think appealing to the logic of McMajority fans is the way to go. I think his appeal breaks down like this:

40% WWE fandom (his smack talk, his over the top accent)
40% Front runner/casual fandom (some people can afford to only watch the PPVs and that's how you hear shit like "ronda rousey and conor mcgregor are my favorite fighters")
15% Troll fandom (people began saying "McGoat" by his second fight in the ufc and people tried doing the same thing with Derrick Lewis when he first came. McG just actually happened to be good)
5% Homoeroticism (not that's there's anything wrong with that, but I'd only peg this at 5% nowadays because of those god awful tattoos).

Please explain. Why is it that when GSP wins a decisive 50-45 decision there is so much negativity from Sherdoggers on this forum compared to McGregor winning a controversial majority decision and all of the sudden there is GOAT talk?
I guarantee no one actually thinks Conor is the GOAT. It's just a meme. People having a little bit of fun. Bonus points for triggering people who have this shit fly right over their heads.

First of All GSP dryhumps guys. Second of All, he didnt fight someone at Light Heavyweight or at least Middleweight
Neither did Connor. Connor is a LW fighting in FW. Nate and Connor are natural LWs. Plus its only a 10 pound difference between divisions. WW to MW/LHW is 15-35 pounds.

Neither did Connor. Connor is a LW fighting in FW. Nate and Connor are natural LWs. Plus its only a 10 pound difference between divisions. WW to MW/LHW is 15-35 pounds.

Nate is a welterweight fightin at LW just how cerrone used to be

its very simple, gsp is unliked because hes a nice guy who doesnt talk much trash which=boring

Conor's fans were having a heart attack through that entire fight and when he was gifted the decision they knew that their so called goat got another lifeline even though it was a gift from the cecil peoples god's of judging.

Its really that simple

First off, that fight was a war. Second, it was far from controversial except one judge was retarded and gave a 10-8 where it didn't belong. People bitch about GSP domination because they don't like his style but honestly they ignore that most of his fights are fought 50% on the feet and 50% on the ground because they just like to bitch.

GSP fought a smaller and less skilled opponent. The decision was close because Georges did nothing to try to stop Hendricks.

Conor had a lot of disadvantages and did everything to try to stop Nayt.

Dipshits gonna dipshit. Conor is not and will never be GOAT and anyone claiming otherwise is a complete fool.

mostly just fans of the guys GSP beat
Conor mania is another thing altogether

It's only controversial if you're a hater or can't score fights.
It's controversial because right after the fight, a lot of people expressed the fact that they thought Diaz had won. It's controversial because a decent percentage of people have a different opinion. It's controversial because a week later, we're still talking about it, you included.

GSP exploited the rules to stall fights out. Conor and Nate went to War.

Gsp deserves respect for his wrestling. But he stalled every chance he could.

Because it doesn't matter what GSP does, most Anderson, Fedor, Diaz (x2) and BJ fans will ALWAYS shit on him no matter what, like jealousy.

Conor Mcgregors fans are the most delusional fans in mma. Also most of them started watching the sport after gsps great run

It's controversial because right after the fight, a lot of people expressed the fact that they thought Diaz had won. It's controversial because a decent percentage of people have a different opinion. It's controversial because a week later, we're still talking about it, you included.

It's controversial because there's a lot of Conor haters and people who can't score fight.

GSP is a boring decision fighter that doesn't deserve any respect for playing it safe every chance he can get and has to rely on judges to determine a winner. He can't ever take matters into his own hands and put someone away by KO or SUB, but goes in there to run out the clock and put fans to sleep.

GSP should change his initials to JSP, Just Score Points.

Honest opinion as a long time fan who loved GSP '05, hated him during his title reign and misses him now that he's gone. I'll tell you what the difference is to me.

GSP never seemed to put it all on the line. He would extend himself exactly as much as was necessary to win. It was smart, but not exciting. I never in all his fights, even against Diaz where he had the most emotional investment of his career, felt like he wore his heart on his sleeve and gave it his all. I never felt like he was working to finish and digging deep looking to hurt the other man.

Conor, that's all he does. Everything he does may not look clinical. It may not be smart. He may turn his back on his opponent and walk to a better position for a few seconds of the fight, but he also attacks with bad intentions, puts everything on the line, displays heart, grit, skill, malice, vulnerability, and determination. It's dramatic.

TLDR: Conor is dramatic in the cage. GSP performances are sterile and clinical. Just the same, I miss having GSP around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back