GSP could only do 8 pull-ups and bench press the 55lbs dumbbells

Yeah I can imagine he could only do 8, then rest for 30 seconds, do another 8,and another, until he did 80

GSP was heavily into gymnastics for a part of his career, seems ridiculous he wouldn't be able to do more than 8 pull-ups
I remember in school the kid that was best at pull ups was like a stick figure, the muscular kids did not do that great

The relevant portion of the video is time-stamped, but it starts around 3:33.

(If the site is too shitty for youtube videos, the video is called Strength & Conditioning Rotuine of an MMA Legend (Analysis) by the channel PowerTraining.)

Apparently GSP just did general fitness training until he started working with a guy named Jonathan Chaimberg. At this time, he could only do 8 pull-ups and could only bench press the 55lbs dumbbells. I thought this must be very early in GSP's career, but he had already taken the belt off Hughes and was the WW champ when he had these stats!

After working with Chaimberg, GSP could do 8 pull-ups with 80lbs hanging off of him, 3 pull-ups with 100lbs, and could bench press the 120lbs dumbbells.

It's a really good video and I had never heard of Chaimberg before.

At no point have I looked like GSP and could do 65s so there is no way he couldn't do at least that. I am no bigger than him weight/height-wise and he looks far, far better than I do at that weight lol

Remember when GSP claimed he didn't lift weights, and then everyone saw a bunch of videos of him lifting, and he changed it to "ok, I lift weights, but it's only for looks and marketability"?
Saint Pierre (I always forgot if the "G" stand for "Gyno" "HGH Gut" or "Greaseback") always gave the fakest vibes in the bussines, more than Machida, more than Jon, more than Dern... It was way later only that I could pinpont the holes in his painstakenly curated image

You see a lot of gym bro types who are able to do decent weight on bench (both dumbell and barbell) but you see almost nobody at the gym who's legitimately strong at pull ups.

And no I'm not talking about 160 pound sticks who are good at pull ups - I'm talking 200+ pound decently muscled people able to rep 10+ without issue.

Bench is overrated anyway - weighted dips are where it's at.

Remember when GSP claimed he didn't lift weights, and then everyone saw a bunch of videos of him lifting, and he changed it to "ok, I lift weights, but it's only for looks and marketability"?
I just remember the second part; lift weight not to be a better fighter, but to sell. Also, I am pretty sure he has done it more later on to move to MW.

Maybe thats before his MMA career. There is no way he couln't lift more than 55lbs dumbells given how naturally strong he was even in his early fights. Maybe his comfort zone was 55 lbs, but he could have lift more obviously.

Here's the old GSP training video. He's benching 135 here, intentionally light and nowhere near his max, doing it as part of a circuit workout.

You see a lot of gym bro types who are able to do decent weight on bench (both dumbell and barbell) but you see almost nobody at the gym who's legitimately strong at pull ups.

And no I'm not talking about 160 pound sticks who are good at pull ups - I'm talking 200+ pound decently muscled people able to rep 10+ without issue.

Bench is overrated anyway - weighted dips are where it's at.

Not many people strong at bench are weak on dips.

I bench 275 for 6-8 on a given day, but can hit below parallel dips for 12 with a 100lb dumbbell attached.

I'm sitting around 200 rn and I can hit 6 chin ups with 50 lbs on me. I can hit 18-20 bodyweight. That's with pauses at the bottom.

Chin ups are hard af lol

The only way this is even remotely believable to me is if GSP had never done pull-ups or any kind of bench press before he started.

Some amount of these exercises is just conditioning your muscles to do them. If you go in and have never lifted before but you’re pretty strong then you’ll see massive improvements in your weight and reps pretty quickly just because your body is learning how to do them, not because you’re actually getting stronger. You don’t need a special program to get that, you just have to knock out sets consistently.

Even still, I have a really hard time buying those pull-up numbers from a guy who undoubtedly did a fair bit of body weight training at that point. For the average guy 8 is a fine number but for lean strong guy like GSP anything under 10 defies belief in my opinion, even if he’d never done a pull-up in his life up to that point.

J(you know what it stands for)SP

There's no way he was only doing 8 pullups and 55 lb dumbbell presses at any point in his MMA career. Even go look at his physique from early fights before he was in the UFC

The relevant portion of the video is time-stamped, but it starts around 3:33.

(If the site is too shitty for youtube videos, the video is called Strength & Conditioning Rotuine of an MMA Legend (Analysis) by the channel PowerTraining.)

Apparently GSP just did general fitness training until he started working with a guy named Jonathan Chaimberg. At this time, he could only do 8 pull-ups and could only bench press the 55lbs dumbbells. I thought this must be very early in GSP's career, but he had already taken the belt off Hughes and was the WW champ when he had these stats!

After working with Chaimberg, GSP could do 8 pull-ups with 80lbs hanging off of him, 3 pull-ups with 100lbs, and could bench press the 120lbs dumbbells.

It's a really good video and I had never heard of Chaimberg before.

EDIT: I wanted to add that a good portion of the video analyses GSP's training footage and shows what a complete athletic freak GSP was. The guy compares GSP doing plyometrics to professional jumpers doing the exact same exercise and GSP's body is performing on their level.

I love power training channel. I was one of the first 100 subscribers. He's a mine of knowledge about sport specific physical preparation

Back