GSP back in his bag

If Dinosaurs were actually Alpha, they wouldn’t of gone extinct
so I guess the only alphas are Crocs and Gators
Bro, Crocs and gators are amateurs. The true alpha is this guy -

"Horseshoe crabs are ancient creatures that first appeared at least 480 million years ago during the Ordovician Period and don't appear to have changed much since."

Oh, I'm sorry. I was confused by all the specific funding and public institutions specific to dinosaur research. I should have known to ask you first before drawing the conclusion that the study of dinosaurs is a specifically funded enterprise, when, clearly, its all far more murky than that and you can't separate the sciences.

It's not like there are specific educational credentials pertaining to dinosaurs. And also, just last week didn't a famous physicist studying neutrinos accidentally stumble upon a previously undiscovered dinosaur species?

How utterly stupid of me. You're right, I just don't understand.
I don't really understand how that is a reply to my comment. Maybe I am the stupid one.

There is nothing called "Dinosaur study". It is called paleontology, and this is what it is about
"Paleontology is the study of ancient life, from dinosaurs to prehistoric plants, mammals, fish, insects, fungi, and even microbes. Fossil evidence reveals how organisms changed over time and what our planet was like long ago."

I never understood why it was important to study dinosaurs or why we should pay "paleontologist" for that. So ok the spinosaurus was a bit bigger than the T-Rex. Except buying toys for my kid what is the consequence ? Yawn
This fucking guy probably can't even go five minutes explaining his favorite dinosaur

Loser

Trexes were saurischians, making them crocodilians.
michael-scott-the-office.gif

Lol at how you're getting shit on in this thread. I think you've got a point though. Even the above posts that make reference to the knowledge gained in evolutionary theory and plate tectonics. Bullshit. As if we wouldn't know about that without specifically studying dinosaurs.

I think its a good question. How much time and money has been spend on dinosaurs? Its probably an absolutely enormous number. What do we really gain from such specified research?

I suppose the real answer is the cool factor. Which is significant. When we can tell our children true stories about the nearly impossible to believe beasts that once lived on the planet, we can engender a sense of wonder and curiosity early in children and therefore encourage more people to pursue an interest or career in science.

There's also a pretty strong argument for the awareness of extinction level events that should underline for people how tentatively we cling to our position on earth. The dinosaurs dominated the earth for 165 million years and then went extinct. There's a lesson in humility there for us all.

But, I tend to agree with you. Its like we know enough about dinosaurs. Let's focus on what we can do yo protect our oceans and atmosphere instead. So we don't end up like the dinosaurs.

Hard agree there. Strangely people get super defensive as soon as it's about the usefulness of paleontology studies and dinosaurs. If you go on Reddit you see people treating any question about its use and purpose like you're a flat earther believer or something. It's bizarre

Last edited:
I never understood why it was important to study dinosaurs or why we should pay "paleontologist" for that. So ok the spinosaurus was a bit bigger than the T-Rex. Except buying toys for my kid what is the consequence ? Yawn
i never understood why we pay historians. okay so julius caesar crossed the rubicon and brought about the roman empire. what’s the point in studying that except for providing the plot for movies?

Georges is the type of guy who would invest in a Jurassic theme park

dennis-nedry-laughing-hysterically.gif

I'm saying that this whole field of study seems pointless to me. It's not like geologists or botanists or zoologists who are doing something that humanity can actually benefit from. Dinosaurs study is just for folklore it doesn't bring anything.
Okay....and? Why the hell do you care what other people are interested in?

Others could say MMA is pointless and shouldn't be funded. Why are they wrong but you're right?

gsp was a dinosaur in a past life. either that or an alien - which is why they keep trying to bring him home.

i never understood why we pay historians. okay so julius caesar crossed the rubicon and brought about the roman empire. what’s the point in studying that except for providing the plot for movies?

Because history is a record of human civilization and behavior and is extremely beneficial to all the identity groups that exist in the world to preserve their cultures and memory, has a direct impact on current diplomatic relations between countries and groups of people and allows us to learn from the mistake that occurred during it and recognize the same patterns when they happen ? Amongst the benefits because there are many others.

Does paleontology has any of that usefulness ?

Back