Gregg Popovich: Trump a "soulless coward"

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Popovich, unanimously considered the greatest active professional basketball coach and by many to be the greatest living professional sports coach after Bill Belichick, did not pull punches. This is by far the most full-throated take down of the Trump administration by a sports celebrity.

Coach Pop called me up after hearing the President’s remarks explaining why he hadn’t mentioned the four US soldiers killed in an ambush in Niger. Trump said, “President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls, a lot of them didn’t make calls. I like to call when it’s appropriate, when I think I’m able to do it.”

Maybe it was bald-faced nature of this lie. Maybe it is Pop’s own history in the military, but the Coach clearly had to vent. He said, “I want to say something and please just let me talk and please make sure this is on the record.”

This man in the Oval Office is a soulless coward who thinks that he can only become large by belittling others. This has of course been a common practice of his, but to do it in this manner–and to lie about how previous Presidents responded to the deaths of soldiers–is as low as it gets. We have a pathological liar in the White House: unfit intellectually, emotionally, and psychologically to hold this office and the whole world knows it, especially those around him every day. The people who work with this President should be ashamed because they know it better than anyone just how unfit he is, and yet they choose to do nothing about it. This is their shame most of all.

Last edited:
Holy shit! Trump is going to get impeached for sure now that a basketball coach gave his political opinion.

Also, homeless junkies downtown will be offering financial and life tips. Don't miss out on this golden opportunity!

Cut Trump some slack. He took 5 deferments to stay out of Vietnam. Having to fake a foot injury 5 times, leaves a man with emotional scars. Calling these soldiers families brings back those painful memories.
Trump might have Deferment Traumatic Disorder Syndrome.

Well said. Popovich is well spoken, coherent, and has served in the military. Basically the opposite of Trump.

But I'm sure Trump's supporters will find some way to rationalize this.

Title would have been better with something like

"Popovich slams Trump"

Trumpbots in full defense mode.

Press: have you called the soldiers' families?
Trump: obama never did it.
Press: uh, yes he did
Trump: well somebody told me he didn't.

No amount of whining about Trump, is going to help the Spurs beat the Warriors, Poppy.

Trumpbots in full defense mode.

Press: have you called the soldiers' families?
Trump: obama never did it.
Press: uh, yes he did
Trump: well somebody told me he didn't.
It’s noticeable that when Trump gets called out real time on his bullshit he doesn’t have the slipperiness of seasoned politicians. He just says “he heard it”. Nice to see him get called on his bullshit.

Ryan Lizza said live on CNN tonight, and I quote, "Why does Trump just make shit up all the time?" Hilarious.

Well said. Popovich is well spoken, coherent, and has served in the military. Basically the opposite of Trump.

But I'm sure Trump's supporters will find some way to rationalize this.

Majority of veterans voted for Trump

It’s noticeable that when Trump gets called out real time on his bullshit he doesn’t have the slipperiness of seasoned politicians. He just says “he heard it”. Nice to see him get called on his bullshit.
It's called the @ripskater special.

Back