Greco-Roman Wrestling

Galahad

Orange Belt
Reaction score
After watching a ton of Greco matches I noticed that there wasn't much throwing going on except from par-terre. Is this due to the lack of lower body attacks? I know in judo my instructor was always telling us to use ashi-waza(sweeps,trips,reaps, etc.) to help set-up our upper body throws. Is this correct?

Also if most of the throwing is coming from par-terre isn't that kind of against wrestling? I mean the art of wrestling is to take someone down right?

Please don't take this as an anti-wrestling thread (in fact I have experience and love folkstyle)

It's very hard to throw a good greco roman wrestler under greco rules, and when two good greco roman wrestlers face each other in competition they kind of stalemate each other on the feet.

I used to wrestle greco pretty seriously and once you get into serious competitions like US nationals, and hell even high school nationals, throws are few and far between. Most of the time you will see scoring on the feet done with slideby's and off balances, not full out throws. To throw a good greco guy is VERY difficult without any grips like a gi in judo. Also touching of the legs is absolutely forbidden with either your legs or your hands, so trips and reeps are illegal and therefore you don't even have to worry about them. In short it is much more difficult to throw someone in greco than judo

Also if most of the throwing is coming from par-terre isn't that kind of against wrestling? I mean the art of wrestling is to take someone down right?

Please don't take this as an anti-wrestling thread (in fact I have experience and love folkstyle)

I don't believe you have wrestling experience. I think your BJJ school teaches some takedowns and calls it wrestling. There is a lot more to wrestling than just takedowns. The wrestling ground game is not very conducive to MMA and BJJ. The takedown techniques transfer over well. That is why non wrestlers think of wrestling as just takedowns.

I agree, I was watching the Olympics and was kinda o_O...but you gotta remember, not only are they stalemating eachother, they're also wrestling slightly more cautiously as they absolutely do NOT want to lose.

Also they are fucking greco up rulewise, to short wrestling standing before they start that partere nonsense.

I don't believe you have wrestling experience. I think your BJJ school teaches some takedowns and calls it wrestling. There is a lot more to wrestling than just takedowns. The wrestling ground game is not very conducive to MMA and BJJ. The takedown techniques transfer over well. That is why non wrestlers think of wrestling as just takedowns.

Um ok...well I believe that the control one gains from attempting to keep a man down, ride him, and then turn him over is conducive to MMA/BJJ, BUT we're talking about Greco which is an Olympic style. Top man only has about 15 seconds to lift/roll a man which I don't think is nearly as beneficial for MMA/BJJ.

I never said wrestling was just takedown. I never would've learned how to ride, throw halves, keep my hips low and drive a man over, how to keep my hips positioned in a leg ride without wrestling experience.

The thing is I've never had experience in Greco, which is what I'm asking those who may have had experience in it in.

Once the Greco guy gets you, you are not getting away.

Greco guys are the strongest of all grappling disciplines.

Interestingly I think that the old Couture/Randleman fight demoed the incredible upper body strength/endurance of the Greco roman fighters strength over pretty well any other style of top game grappling.

Couture didnt use a tech to takedown Randleman. He just tied up and used his upperbody strength/endurance to wear down the normally explosive Randleman to the greound. Made Randleman meltdown like snow in the rain.

Not so much I guess on style vs style tech but where a styles strength can come into play so much more in any certain scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back