Greatest of All Time has returned

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
The greatest of all time is returning.

With the impending return of the last emperor, and the poor recognition of the man and his accomplishments shown by the media, I wanted to add my two cents in.

1) First of all, he’s likely undefeated in Sherdog GOAT Polls.

But you may say, what do sherdoggers know about anything?

2) He wins polls elsewhere as well. Recently, there was a big GOAT poll in major Brazil media asking MMA fans, and Fedor came out on top. Also, there also was a big fighter’s poll in Brazil with lot of Brazilian fighters in it and Fedor also came out number 1 in that as well.

But you may also say again, who do fans know about anything when Dana White says otherwise?

3) He likely has the longest list of professional fighters who claimed him as the best, GOAT at one point or another, including Chuck fucking Norris and Mike Tyson.

There has been LOTS of other fighters who claimed so, and the list is very long and the saying that Fedor’s your favorite fighter’s favorite fighter isn’t actually untrue perhaps.

Some probably might say Anderson Silva. Yet, the guys who actually trained with Anderson, like Machida, Shogun, Wanderlei, JDS, etc thinks Fedor is the one. That must mean something.

But you may say, what do fighters know about anything?

4) There have been many well known trainers who have shown great respect and admiration for Fedor.

In recent Sherdog article for example, Firas Zahabi picked Fedor and Maia as two fighters who best adapted their grappling to MMA. Given how beastly Maia is as a grappler, it’s a high praise, as well as from many well known trainers like Greg Jackson, AKA’s Bob Cook/Vasquez, Pat Militech, even Kavanagh for example, and the list goes on.

But, you may also say, being experts doesn’t mean that they are right, when it comes to something that can be rather subjective, especially when ‘being great at something’ in and out of itself can be subjective matter.

5) Then, let’s try to look at the facts, which can be difficult when it comes to judging a ‘greatness’ of a fighter.

According to statistics that was available back then, which measured strikes landed against per minute, he was the most elusive fighter in MMA even better than Machida during Machida’s undefeated period, before his decline dropping three in a row .

He has gone undefeated in a heavyweight division for ten years, fighting aggressively and taking risks, fighting top fighters, and records show he fought many top 10 fighters, a couple less than GSP and Anderson fought in their careers

Only fighter Sakuraba declined to fight in his career.

Was offered the best contract ever to sign him over to UFC according to Dana White.

Dana White ‘says’ he thinks Fedor is no good.

He never competed in UFC. However, UFC is the top dog now, and I don’t like where Bellator is going at all, but I’d like to argue that UFC isn’t the major league of MMA, unless something can be major league of anything when they were the second best less than a decade ago. Even a fighter, who UFC comically pushes really hard as the Greatest of all time, Anderson Silva, said that he thought PRIDE was better when they were around than UFC, but then UFC only after the fall of PRIDE due to their yakuza scandal.

He has wins over ADCC champion, BJJ champ, three k-1 gp champions, Judo Olympic gold medalist and Olympic silver medalist, Greco-roman Olympic silver medalist and freestyle wrestling Olympian, ncaa div 1 folkstyle wrestling champ, Ssirm wrestling champion and multiple ex- UFC champions(who has more wins over ex ufc champions than Fedor?).

Arm-barred Judo Silva Olympic medalist, and threw Greco-roman Silver Olympic medalist with uchimata.

He’s multiple time combat sambo champion, though competition level of the sports has been called into question in the past, which is still rather unclear, in spite of great individual successes in MMA by guys like Fedor and Khabib.

Also, he is an elite Judoka, though it’s not a fact that’s as well known. He’s obviously not Yoel Romero of Judo, but I would dare say that the only fighter who is a clearly better Judoka than Fedor in the history of UFC would be Akiyama. It appears that he was a heavyweight Judoka in Russia in Olympic team competing for a spot, but it also appears he had to compete with Tamerlan Tmenov, silver and bronze olympic medalist, two time silver and two time bronze world championship winner, and Alexander Mikhaylin, three time world championship winner and two bronze, and silver olympic medalist. Tamerlan Tmenov is 39, Mikhaylin is 37, and Fedor is 40 years old. And between Tmenov and Mikhaylins, they have 13 European gold medals.

He is humble in and out of the ring, against the opponents and with fans as well from the sound of things.

He was recognized as the fighter of the decade by the Sports Illustrated, Bleacher report, Fight! Magazine, valetudo.ru, About.com, and MMAfighting.com, as well as his fight with Crocop being recognized as the fight of the decade by Yahoo sports and Sports Illustrated.

6) My own 2 cents>

I find his striking in MMA can look bit sloppy and wild, his footwork doesn’t look too fluid or varied, his positional bottom ground game looks relatively lacking, , and his takedown defense isn’t probably the best around, especially when he gets taken down, due to his aggressiveness, they are so in deep on his legs it’s almost impossible to defend from there, though he fought some amazing takedown artists,and his training camps…well I hope he’s not training in some random parking lot no more, maybe Mousasi had a point when he suggested that maybe his loyalty to his trainers kept him back from evolving.

But, he hits hard and fast, great reflexes, can take a hit, is explosive on the ground and the feet, can threaten with submissions and is difficult to catch with submissions, and calm as a cucumber and cold, calculated like some Russian industrial machine. He might be the best ever when it comes to mixing his strikes with takedowns of various types, and pounding someone’s face in inside their guard. And, this guy has the heart of the warrior, spirit of the samurai, and the blood of the cyborg.

Everybody knows Fedor is the GOAT.

Last edited:
GAOuM9t.gif

Wow... that was long...

I'll just add this.

Here are some of his wins. If you also add some of the guys he beat kickboxing/grappling creds at the time, you would be even more impressed.

Fedor's Record vs Ranked Opponents:

WIN - Brett Rogers - Nov / 7 / 2009 -- Strikeforce / M-1 Global - Fedor vs. Rogers
7 hw - 2009 - Nov 1 - Fight Matrix-Published
6 hw - 2009 - Oct 31 - Sherdog
8 hw - 2009 - Oct 27 - MMA Weekly
6 hw - 2009 - Oct 13 (16) - Independent World MMA Rankings

WIN - Andrei Arlovski - Jan / 24 / 2009 -- Affliction - Day of Reckoning
19' P4P - 2008 - Dec 31 - YAHOO
3 hw - 2009 - JAN (4?) - MMA Fighting
2 hw - 2009 - Jan 11 - Bloody Elbow-Meta
2 hw - 2009 - Jan 7 - Sherdog
2 hw - 2009 - Jan 6 - Sports Illustrated/Josh Gross

WIN - Tim Sylvia - Jul / 19 / 2008 -- Affliction - Banned
4 hw - 2008 - Jul 9 - Sherdog
5 hw - 2008 - Jul 8 - MMA Weekly
5 hw - 2008 - Jun 30 - MMA Fighting
5 hw - 2008 - Jun 24 - Bloody Elbow-Meta

WIN - Matt Lindland - Apr / 14 / 2007 -- Bodog Fight - Clash of the Nations
8 P4P - 2007 - Mar 30 - MMA on Tap
1 mw - 2007 - Apr 10 - MMA Weekly
3 mw - 2007 - Mar 7 - MMA News
2 mw - 2007 - JAN (17) - Bloody Knux
1 mw - 2006 - Nov 30 - MMA Fighting

WIN - Mark Hunt - Dec / 31 / 2006 -- Pride FC - Shockwave 2006
9 hw - 2006 - Dec 19 - MMA Weekly
7 hw - 2006 - Nov 30 - MMA Fighting
9 hw - 2006 - Nov 29 - MMA News
5 hw - 2006 - NOV - Associated Fight Press-Fightsport

WIN - Mirko Filipovic - Aug / 28 / 2005 -- Pride FC - Final Conflict 2005
2 hw - 2005 - Aug 12 - Fighters & Broadcasters Poll
3 hw - 2005 - JUN - Full Contact Fighter
3 hw - 2005 - May (12) - Bloody Knux
3 hw - 2005 - May 4 - ADCC MMA Top Ten

WIN - Tsuyoshi Kosaka - Apr / 3 / 2005 -- Pride - Bushido 6
17' hw - 2005 - Mar 8 - MMA Fighting
15 hw - 2005 - Apr 1 - Fight Matrix-Generated*^^^

WIN - Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - Dec / 31 / 2004 -- Pride - Shockwave 2004
2 hw - 2004 - Dec 26 - The MMA Collective-MMARanks
1 hw - 2004 - Dec 20 - ADCC MMA Top Ten
2 hw - 2004 - NOV - Fighters & Broadcasters Poll
2 hw - 2004 - Nov 14 - MMA Fighting

WIN - Naoya Ogawa - Aug / 15 / 2004 -- Pride FC - Final Conflict 2004
15 hw - 2004 - Jul 5 - MMA Fighting

WIN - Kevin Randleman - Jun / 20 / 2004 -- Pride FC - Critical Countdown 2004
10 lhw - 2004 - May 20 - ADCC MMA Top Ten
8 lhw - 2004 - MAY - Fighters & Broadcasters Poll
9 lhw - 2004 - Apr 12 - Stephen Quadros

WIN - Mark Coleman - Apr / 25 / 2004 -- Pride FC - Total Elimination 2004
8 hw - 2004 - APR^ - Max Fighting/Josh Gross
10 hw - 2004 - Apr 1 - Fight Matrix-Generated*^^^

WIN - Kazuyuki Fujita - Jun / 8 / 2003 -- Pride 26 - Bad to the Bone
10 hw - 2003 - May 4 - MMA News

WIN - Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - Mar / 16 / 2003 -- Pride 25 - Body Blow
1 hw - 2003 - Mar 4 - MMA News
1 hw - 2003 - MAR^ - Associated Fight Press-Fightsport
1 hw - 2003 - Feb 15 - MMA Media Top 10
1 hw - 2003 - Jan 31 - Fighters & Broadcasters Poll

WIN - Heath Herring - Nov / 24 / 2002 -- Pride 23 - Championship Chaos 2
4 hw - 2002 - Nov 1 - MMA Media Top 10
4 hw - 2002 - OCT - Associated Fight Press-Fightsport
3 hw - 2002 - Sep 4 - Stephen Quadros
7 hw - 2002 - FEB - MMA Weekly-Fan Vote

WIN - Semmy Schilt - Jun / 23 / 2002 -- Pride 21 - Demolition
10 hw - 2002 - Jun 11 - MMA Media Top 10
9 hw - 2002 - Jan 12 - Stephen Quadros

WIN - Renato Sobral - Aug / 11 / 2001 -- Rings - 10th Anniversary
8 hw - 2001 - Jul 1 - Fight Matrix-Generated*^^^
9 hw - 2001 - JAN - MMA Writers Top Ten (^2-0 vs TK & Tamura)

Fedor was far past the "old age" MMA but his style doesn't carry on with old age. Seeing the the greats get old you can see this. Fedor should have still wooped Maldonado despite his age especially considering hes a HW. His fat man vs giants worked when he was fast but now that he's slow and his chin is gone it just isn't there. I'll be surprised if he beat Mintrione but even if he does it's just a matter of time before he gets embaressed again. You look at the greats like Anderson and he was still up there with Brunson. At this point I wouldn't favor him heavily against Big Nog.

Everybody deep down knows Fedor is one of the GOATs

his annoying / insecure fanbase is why people deny it

Fedor Emilanenko is my all time favorite fighter, he is humble and he's the most gifted fighter i have ever seen.

However im also a realist, i can see Fedor losing this fight with a brutal uppercut KO in the very first round, and the backlash from it would be from his trolling detractors, who will endlessly post how overrated he really was in his whole career. I can deal with that however, since trolling and making disparaging remarks doesn't bother me in the least. He could also end up winning the fight by TKO....but it would be in the latter rounds. All of this matters not for me however, i saw him in his very best mentally and physically during those wondrous years of MMA (2002-2007), and i was quite fortunate to do so. And so should you, my opinion is that he should have stayed retired after his win against Jeff Monson.

I think Mitrione is def legit threat, think Mitrione can give a run for anyone's money in UFC heavyweight division because he is fast, hits hard, though I guess he's little lacking on the ground, this is a dangerous fight, but I think Fedor should still win, but not sure. I still think Fedor should win but....

Muhammad Ali has come alive out of the grave?

Back