Greatest Hockey Players of All-Time

the ambush

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This is a thread I have been wanting to do for a long time. Compiling a list of hockey’s greatest legends.

Wayne Gretzky - Center

Mario Lemieux - Center

Gordie Howe - Forward / Right Wing

Maurice Richard - Forward / Right Wing

Bobby Orr - Defenseman

Patrick Roy - Goalie

Mark Messier - Center

Phil Esposito - Center

Jean Beliveau - Center

Glenn Hall - Goalie

Howie Morenz - Center

Stan Mikita - Forward / Center

Ray Bourque - Defenseman

Bobby Hull - Forward / Left Wing

Bobby Clarke - Center

decent list.
retired players then, right?
there are numerous current ones that are GOAT material.

I never got the whole ranking current players with retired players thing. So yes the past legends of hockey have a special place in my heart.

a case could be said for sidney crosby

decent list.
retired players then, right?
there are numerous current ones that are GOAT material.
I agree.. Crosby and Ovechkin should end up on an all time GOAT list.

But the issue is the game has changed so much, that people are really stat focused and you just can't compare an era where guys were scoring 70+ goals and 150+ points to today's game. It isn't fair to the current players, but a lot of people just care about overall numbers.

Michael Scott and Wayne Gretzky

Ovechkin is the GOAT already (and he is still playing).
It's too bad that team shits the bed in the playoffs all the time.

I took into account the history of the NHL and excluded the modern era players. That is why the sports bar has active threads for Ovechkin, McDavid, and Crosby. Save the dumb gifs for another thread.

Shane Doan

/thread

Was hoping the Penguins would find a way to pick him up for last years Cup run. He's like Ryan Smyth if he played in a market no one cared about.

I took into account the history of the NHL and excluded the modern era players. That is why the sports bar has active threads for Ovechkin, McDavid, and Crosby. Save the dumb gifs for another thread.

And still..

<FookIsThatGuy>

I agree.. Crosby and Ovechkin should end up on an all time GOAT list.

But the issue is the game has changed so much, that people are really stat focused and you just can't compare an era where guys were scoring 70+ goals and 150+ points to today's game. It isn't fair to the current players, but a lot of people just care about overall numbers.

When gretzky had 215 points the 2nd place super Mario had 141..... gretzky wasn't just scoring in a high scoring era, the gap was so big between him and everybody else it was absurd

When gretzky had 215 points the 2nd place super Mario had 141..... gretzky wasn't just scoring in a high scoring era, the gap was so big between him and everybody else it was absurd
Lemieux had a couple 160 point seasons and a 199 point season if I'm not mistaken though. But yeah, I agree for the most part. I also think lemieux had a higher point per game average than Gretzky for their careers.

Yzerman, selanne, Mogilny, etc were having huge number seasons up until the early 2000s. We may never see that again. Hell, even defensemen put up 100 point seasons back then.

Lemieux had a couple 160 point seasons and a 199 point season if I'm not mistaken though. But yeah, I agree for the most part. I also think lemieux had a higher point per game average than Gretzky for their careers.

Yzerman, selanne, Mogilny, etc were having huge number seasons up until the early 2000s. We may never see that again. Hell, even defensemen put up 100 point seasons back then.

Gretzky is a little ahead on PPG, but the gap between them and #3 is huuuge. As a Penguins fan I have always had to hold that Lemieux was the better player as a pure talent, physical and technically brilliant, but Gretzky was a mastermind. He understood hockey and other players like I doubt anyone ever will again. Gretzky-Lemieux-Orr is the Holy Trinity of hockey, then you have niche GOATs like goal-scorer Bossy, the legends like Maurice Richard or Beliveau, and I think the next generation is the "highlight GOATs" like Ovie, Crosby, Datsyuk, etc.

Man, I love hockey.

Ovechkin is the GOAT already (and he is still playing).

Wtf ?

Hes never won the cup.

He doesn't make those around him any better.

If you think Ovie is GOAT your either Russian or know absolutely nothing about hockey.

Hes a GREAT goal scorer. Thats it.

This is a thread I have been wanting to do for a long time. Compiling a list of hockey’s greatest legends.

Wayne Gretzky - Center

Mario Lemieux - Center

Gordie Howe - Forward / Right Wing

Maurice Richard - Forward / Right Wing

Bobby Orr - Defenseman

Patrick Roy - Goalie

Mark Messier - Center

Phil Esposito - Center

Jean Beliveau - Center

Glenn Hall - Goalie

Howie Morenz - Center

Stan Mikita - Forward / Center