• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Great Webpage On Ancient Wrestling

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I have seen a few of these before, but I've never seen such an extensive compilation (too bad the resolution is so low tho). You always hear about how every civilization has had wrestling, but here's the pictorial proof that high-level wrestling techniques have existed for many thousands of years.

http://www.wrestlingsbest.com/gifs/wrespictart01.html

A few examples:

Seoi nage, 500 BC:

x500bcvase3.jpg

Arm triangle:

xgreekunk.jpg

Egypt, 2400 BC -- hard to see, but just about every basic grappling technique and many advanced:

xegypt4.jpg

Amazing to think this was drawn 2400 years before Jesus. To conclude, here's a primitive 50/50 from India, 500 years ago. Bottom guy is looking to take an advantage, but the guard passer is blocking him from locking the foot cross body.

x1500india3.jpg

any scuptures of worm guard/berimbolo?

In all seriousness though, I'd love to see a modern day nogi grappler compete against ancient pankration fighters

A technique from one of the Beni Hasan tombs. A two-legged tomoe-nage if I ever did see one.

tominagi.jpg

Harai-makikomi.

makkikomiold.jpg

Here is a clearer depiction of the Beni Hasan mural.

Egyptmotionseries.jpg

A few examples:

Seoi nage, 500 BC:

x500bcvase3.jpg
If I remember correctly the ref (figure on the left) would use his stick to hit the competitors if they were breaking any rules. Maybe something the IBJJF can adopt.

To any idiot to says grip fighting is not important

xgreekscene.jpg

Wait, you're telling me Judo didn't invent all of these?

Something I thought was interesting - look at how heavily developed the thighs are (compared to the upper body) in the greek examples.

These are amazing. Its why I love wrestling, its so ingrained in human history.

^^^

I always cringe/shake my head internally when people get into a huge semantics debate over what grappling style did this, or how someone invented (basic widely known technique here).

This is fantastic. There was a guy on the Underground who was getting his PHD in medieval martial arts and his blog was great. I think he can be found on Stickgrappler's website. Or he was stickgrappler.

These are amazing. Its why I love wrestling, its so ingrained in human history.

Absolutely and is so autoctone and informal at the same time, no grading and no crazy expensive like BJJ --- XD

This is absolutely awesome.

History AND grappling? It's like I'm in heaven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back